• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is Famous Dave's any good

jmbrightman

It is our favorite rib joint. Not that we have alot to choose from here in Minnesota. I was trying to think of any bad experience that we as a family of 6 have had at Dave's and all i can come up with is the lines waiting to get a table on weekends. The catfish is also very good, never had their chicken and the corn bread muffins should be served with ice cream for dessert. It is not our favorite resturant...but it is our choice for ribs.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

I checked out Famous Dave's resume on that site.

It seems that, "Dave is remarkably unique...He has been awarded a Bush Leadership Fellowship,...

Most recently, Dave was confirmed by the Senate as Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Department of the Interior, Indian Affairs and has stepped down from his position as Chairman of the Famous Dave's Board of Directors. "

I'm always impressed by enhanced absolutes. I wonder if the food's remarkably unique, also.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I'm always impressed by enhanced absolutes.  I wonder if the food's remarkably unique, also.

The food looks like it's only somewhat unique. :wink:

But if Dave is as good as barbecuing as he is at promotion (both himself and his enterprises), then this 'cue chain might just be worth the trip.

I don't find it hard to imagine that there's no better 'cue in Minnesota, where fish soaked in lye is a delicacy. But the man has an American Royal Barbecue first-place award to his credit (in 1995, for his barbecue sauce--it took the mild-sauce category), so he's obviously not just, shall we say, blowin' smoke.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

It is our favorite rib joint.  Not that we have alot to choose from here in Minnesota.  I was trying to think of any bad experience that we as a family of 6 have had at Dave's and all i can come up with is the lines waiting to get a table on weekends.  The catfish is also very good, never had their chicken and the corn bread muffins should be served with ice cream for dessert.  It is not our favorite resturant...but it is our choice for ribs.

Your assesment is spot on. The barbecue itself is pretty darn good. Tasty ribs, brisket, catfish. The selection of sauces is good and they all are tasty if you need or want to put sauce on something. I prefer the one they call Georgia Mustard, a vinegar based concoction.

The corn bread is very sweet, and I've been told it is supposed to be this way, but the corn on the cob is overcooked to my taste, mushy.

We go to the restaurant on a somewhat regular basis, and we've had them cater some events as well. We use 'em in my family so we must like 'em well enough.

Dave is good at self promotion, but he seems like a decent guy. Involved in Indian affairs and community events, socially responsible.

All in all for chain barbecue, I'm pleased.

Edited by troyml (log)

The ribs are just fine and the classic "rich and sassy" sauce holds up well in comparison tastings. The sampler served on a garbage can lid is great for a tableful of people.

Dave is a local success story in Minn and he well deserves it - humble beginnings, vision, bankruptcies, business rebirths and true grit. Kind of reminds one of Dave Thomas of Wendy's fame.

The days of the long waits for Dave's BBQ seem to be over at least at my local spot. As the chain got bigger, the sizzle seemed to get diluted and now the whole experience is a little dispirited. The best experience is getting the meats "to go" and having great sides( especially fresh sweet corn) at home.

This thread reminded me of my worst chain resturant rib experience. Applebee's riblets...if people truely get "hyped up" over what I was served that day then I feel sorry for em. Was this a isolated event or do others feel the same? Granted they brought me a huge heaping plate of riblets, but it was close to 90% bone...these flat triangular shaped bones...and the meat if i dare call it that was very chewy and much more cartilage than I'm used to in ribs. Riblets...yea or nea?

For me it's nea.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

I too was wondering about this place, so I searched around and found some reviews. The general consensus seems to be that the food's just OK, but why would you go there if you already have some good bbq places in town?

That stretch of Delaware Ave has been taken over by the big box stores and chain restaurants. But for the river, you wouldn't know the differnce between that area and King of Prussia, Cherry Hill or some other suburban mall area. :blink:

Good thing John's and Tony Luke's are right around the corner.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

That stretch of Delaware Ave has been taken over by the big box stores and chain restaurants.  But for the river, you wouldn't know the differnce between that area and King of Prussia, Cherry Hill or some other suburban mall area.  :blink:

true that. and that mexican market that katie posted about a couple weeks ago. and there's a roast pork and cheesesteak stand on washington ave a few blocks above there that i've been meaning to check out. oh and the LCB premium collection and outlet store they're opening there.

but overall, considering that much of that area was brownfields before they developed it that recently, it's better than nothing. and don't forget about the schweet deals and the meatballs with dingleberry sauce at ikea.

I saw it going up some weeks ago, and also saw a sign in Springfield for another. For those of you in DelCo, it is going in the old Houlihan's by the Target on Baltimore Pike. Haven't tried it, but it isn't like we have a lot of bbq that is truly outstanding in Philly. Some pretty good, and I think the Smoked Joint added a lot to the Center City area.

I will give it a try.

I saw it going up some weeks ago, and also saw a sign in Springfield for another.  For those of you in DelCo, it is going in the old Houlihan's by the Target on Baltimore Pike.  Haven't tried it, but it isn't like we have a lot of bbq that is truly outstanding in Philly.  Some pretty good, and I think the Smoked Joint added a lot to the Center City area.

I will give it a try.

The Smoked Joint's better than no 'cue at all, but I've had better, even in Philly. I have a strong suspicion that many reading this post would not want to venture to 55th and Baltimore to have some, though.

(Speaking of DelCo: I said to my friend over dinner last night at The Smoked Joint, "This place wants to be a roadhouse, but it's in a very un-roadhousey space. I guess they couldn't find a suitable site on Baltimore Pike or MacDade Boulevard.")

This thread reminded me of my worst chain resturant rib experience.  Applebee's riblets...if people truely get "hyped up" over what I was served that day then I feel sorry for em.  Was this a isolated event or do others feel the same?  Granted they brought me a huge heaping plate of riblets, but it was close to 90% bone...these flat triangular shaped bones...and the meat if i dare call it that was very chewy and much more cartilage than I'm used to in ribs.  Riblets...yea or nea?

For me it's nea.

I hope you weren't going to Applebee's for the 'cue. Applebee's isn't really about 'cue--it's about generic casual dining.

Though a chain headquartered in the 'cue capital of America, as Applebee's is (the family who founded it used to own Kansas City's leading home electronics retailer), should be able to do better.

The non-'cue chain that I recall making much ado about its ribs is Chili's ("I want my baby back, baby back, baby back..."). Never had 'em on any of my visits there.

That stretch of Delaware Ave has been taken over by the big box stores and chain restaurants.  But for the river, you wouldn't know the differnce between that area and King of Prussia, Cherry Hill or some other suburban mall area.  :blink:

Yeah - OK. So Delaware Avenue is the new "in town" version of Route 202. Yes it's an incredibly non-distinctive stretch of multi-lane "not-quite-highway" punctuated by far too many traffic lights to ever get out of third gear. But it's here to stay and has jacked up property values tremendously in the 'hood. I ain't got no problem with that since it's MY 'hood. I've already figured out the alternate transportation route down Moyamensing Ave. or straight down 2nd Street to avoid the weekend traffic jams outside the new "mall area" that's sprung up.

And BTW. Direct from Chairman Newman himself, the new PLCB Outlet store down there will be open in about 2 weeks so we can all avail ourselves of the Chairman's Selections and the liter bottle deals on spirits that we used to have to drive up to Franklin Mills for. And this is all 5 minutes from my front door.

I couldn't be happier! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Yeah - OK.  So Delaware Avenue is the new "in town" version of Route 202.  Yes it's an incredibly non-distinctive stretch of multi-lane "not-quite-highway" punctuated by far too many traffic lights to ever get out of third gear.

But they don't have huge mothballed ocean liners parked by the side of DeKalb Pike.

At this rate, the S.S. United States will in all likelihood end up as a Costco.

The non-'cue chain that I recall making much ado about its ribs is Chili's ("I want my baby back, baby back, baby back...").  Never had 'em on any of my visits there.

You're not missing anything.

I beg to differ; I had some very respectable 'cue at a Famous Dave's in Edison NJ a few months ago. Very moist and smoky pulled pork, nicely charred ribs with very good smoke flavor, and some very good sides, including a cheesy mac and cheese. Sure, it's a chain, and it will never be confused with Sweet Lucy's, Rib Shanty, Smoked Joint, Phoebe's, Virgil's, or even the Smokin' Dudes, but it is better than average and will do in a pinch. Its arrival does make you realize how hot a dining segment BBQ is becoming in the mainstream dining world, and how lucky we are to have superb BBQ at our fingertips.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

It is our favorite rib joint.  Not that we have alot to choose from here in Minnesota.  I was trying to think of any bad experience that we as a family of 6 have had at Dave's and all i can come up with is the lines waiting to get a table on weekends.  The catfish is also very good, never had their chicken and the corn bread muffins should be served with ice cream for dessert.  It is not our favorite resturant...but it is our choice for ribs.

I do know that this is the best Minnesota has to offer. Lee's & Dee's in St. Paul is much better than Famous Dave's for ribs, wings and catfish, but it is much less predictable in terms of side dishes. Their ribs are delicious, and their catfish is sweet and crispy. They give you the whole wing when you order wings! Sometimes the sides are a mystery, but we consider that part of the fun and charm! Sometime you get a dinner roll, sometimes a slice of white bread, sometimes you have greens instead of beans... :laugh:

Hickory Hut on University is also pretty darn good...

I beg to differ; I had some very respectable 'cue at a Famous Dave's in Edison NJ a few months ago.  Very moist and smoky pulled pork, nicely charred ribs with very good smoke flavor, and some very good sides, including a  cheesy mac and cheese.  Sure, it's a chain, and it will never be confused with Sweet Lucy's, Rib Shanty, Smoked Joint, Phoebe's, Virgil's, or even the Smokin' Dudes, but it is better than average and will do in a pinch.  Its arrival does make you realize how hot a dining segment BBQ is becoming in the mainstream dining world, and how lucky we are to have superb BBQ at our fingertips.

To clarify, I was talking about Chili's ribs. I haven't been to Famous Dave's, but it's right around the corner from where I live and I'll probably check it out when it opens.

I've eaten at the Famous Dave's in Moutainside NJ. I am a pulled pork gal and their pork is okay in a pinch. I like sweet cornbread. Their corn on the cob is mushy, but what do you expect if you eat corn on the cob out of season. Better than nothing in the BBQ scarce northeast.

Virgils in NYC is much better.

When the hell is Hot Rod's Pit BBQ going to open in Wharton, NJ? It was supposed to open last August, then it was October/November, then january? When???

what do you all think of Whistler's on 130 in Cinnaminson for ribs?

That's my neighborhood bar (when I actually get out of the house to go to a bar). I think their ribs are great--meaty and not oversmoked. They're smoked right out back, in a smokehouse that is a few hundred years old (I think). A half rack of ribs and a plate of wings is my standard order when I eat there. Now if they'd just do something with their beer selection... :hmmm:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I am finishing a rack I got last night for takeout ($15 ala carte - cheap!). smoky taste not overpowing, nicely charred, great pork flavor. I can't address the sauce, because I added some DiPamo's sauce (Toronto ON) when reheating. their wings and the wings at the Jughandle on 73 are personal favorites.

I am finishing a rack I got last night for takeout ($15 ala carte - cheap!).  smoky taste not overpowing, nicely charred, great pork flavor.  I can't address the sauce, because I added some DiPamo's sauce (Toronto ON) when reheating.  their wings and the wings at the Jughandle on 73 are personal favorites.

At one time the same guy owned the Jug and Whistler's. I'm pretty sure he sold the Jug a few years ago. So unless one of the places has messed with the recipe, the wings are pretty much the same. I can't think of a place where I've had better wings.

I like Whistler's sauce. I'm not sure if it's homemade or something they buy then tweak with a few of their own extra ingredients.

John

Funny. I've actually eaten at what must have been the original Famous Dave's, soon after it opened in 1996. I remember liking it; but at that point I hadn't had much to compare it with (one trip to KC, and not a whole lot of BBQ in the Northwest... let alone Minnesota). It'll be interesting to see if barbecue can be replicated well in a national chain.