• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sara's Secrets Cancelled

FabulousFoodBabe

From todays' Page Six: THE Food Network is giving itself a facelift, and one of its original hosts is not making the cut. "Sara's Secrets" host Sara Moulton's contract will not be renewed once it runs out at the end of this year. "I will not be on the TV Food Network in 2006," the Foodie Cutie told PAGE SIX's Lisa Marsh. However, she's taped shows to air every day through the end of the year. "Every show has a lifetime, and after 91/2 years, my time is up," Moulton said. "They're tak ing the network in a different direc tion." A rep for the Food Network declined to comment.

Foodie Cutie? Gag. But she really is a model for women in the business, knows her stuff, earned her stripes. I always thought I'd love to have any one of her jobs, and loved reading about how she credits her husband's support for their success as a family, and hers in the business. But I guess the show's cancellation was bound to happen.

Wonder in what "different direction" FN is heading ...

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Recently I had the chance to talk to Kathleen Finch, VP of Programming at Food Network.

Here's the link: http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._18162227.shtml

Cut for space was the news that Rachael Ray's upcoming wedding will NOT be on the Food Network. Although Finch would love to have such a show based on the success of Paula Deen's wedding. Ray has declined the network's offer.

I am not surprised. It is just one more dumbing-down of something so that the "lowest common denominator:"is happy..the hell with everyone else. But, I guess that one cannot argue with ratings and if Food Network's audience really prefers clowning/joking/sexing-it-up in the kitchen to cooking, and big, wet kissses to the food industry over thoughtful form and content..well... :sad:

I suppose that Food Network's general audience would have thought Julia Child demanding and dull .... :wacko:

Whatever...

Sara Moulton is being dumped, and they're running three shows with Rachael Ray? Last of R-Ray's shows I saw, she was fawning over Tony Danza like crazy, nattering on about how dangerous it was to be served food by a "dangerously attractive man..." Her sycophantic episodes with Dennis Franz and Morgan Freeman border on parodies.

Duh.

I never really cared for Sara's Secrets, so I can't say that I'm sorry to see if go. It always seemed the epitome of good idea, low production quality that Food TV has come to stand for. And, I can't stand it. "We can't hear you talking because the microphone is in the saute pan!" I wonder that no-one at Food TV ever watched the shows in editting and said, "Wow, I can't hear a thing." That and the number of times larger cooking mistakes have been covered by Sara just saying, "well, that's not actually the way to do that, but we'll just use it this time." I know reshooting has a cost, but come on Food TV, your margins aren't that slim.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

I've been watching a lot less Food Network lately, and mainly watching the food shows that they show on PBS during the weekends. I have to admit I'm not the biggest Sara Moulton fan, but I certainly respect her and her accomplishments. All I hope is that they do not use Sandra Lee as her replacement. For the love of god, do not give that woman more air time!

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Recently I had the chance to talk to Kathleen Finch, VP of Programming at Food Network.

Cut for space was the news that Rachael Ray's upcoming wedding will NOT be on the Food Network. Although Finch would love to have such a show based on the success of Paula Deen's wedding. Ray has declined the network's offer.

Ah, thanks for posting your article Dan. You're right about there being way too much Rachael Ray on the food network. Overexposure seems to be a speciality of Food Network - before Rachael Ray it was Tyler Florence and Bobby Flay, before them it was Sara Moulton and Emeril.

IMO, the dumbing down of Food network programming is really insulting. Look at the PBS shows for example. Most of them have likeable hosts, good production quality and are entertaining, but make you want to cook. Lidia Bastianich comes to mind when I think of a quality food show host. Same with Jacques Pepin or Colameco. They know what they're talking about, show how to make food in such a way that both beginner and experienced chefs don't feel overwhelmed or talked down to, and all the while encourage people to enjoy good food.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

I've been watching a lot less Food Network lately, and mainly watching the food shows that they show on PBS during the weekends.  I have to admit I'm not the biggest Sara Moulton fan, but I certainly respect her and her accomplishments.  All I hope is that they do not use Sandra Lee as her replacement.  For the love of god, do not give that woman more air time!

I was home last Tuesday and caught two episodes of Sandra Lee's show. I really, really don't get it. Most of the "recipes" she presented were nothing an even marginally intelligent person couldn't have figured out on their own, like her "delicious strawberry champagne punch" recipe. It's really complicated! Add strawberry juice to champagne, and stir. Huh? There was also some recipe for which you needed to buy some specific kind of chile-lime dressing. What if you couldn't find that dressing? Could you not make the dish? There was nothing on the shows that looked really awful, but it was the kind of stuff I used to make for parties when I was in college - easy to put together, not a lot of complicated flavors. I don't get why people need an instructional show about how to put together those kinds of meals. It seems pretty self-explanatory to me - buy some premade stuff, add some other premade stuff to it.

I watch a lot of PBS cooking shows and have actually always preferred most of what PBS has to what's on the Food Network. The peppy exuberance of a lot of the Food Network "personalities" gets on my nerves. I'm not saying celebrity chefs need to be joyless, but turning the cutesy-cheerleadery stuff down to a 5 from a 10 would make the shows a lot more enjoyable for me. I guess I just prefer the more matter-of-fact approach.

I also didn't enjoy Sara's Secrets as much as I did Cooking Live. I seemed to always find the time to catch CL every night back in the day. Still, the Secret's show seemed to have good recipes and/or the occassional interesting guest.

Now I mostly look forward to the weekends when I can have 3 to 4 hours of cooking blocked on my two local PBS stations.

I was home last Tuesday and caught two episodes of Sandra Lee's show. I really, really don't get it. Most of the "recipes" she presented were nothing an even marginally intelligent person couldn't have figured out on their own, like her "delicious strawberry champagne punch" recipe. It's really complicated! Add strawberry juice to champagne, and stir. Huh?

A few weeks ago Sandra Lee made something that she calls an Apple pie Napoleon. I watched in horror as she took a bakery bought apple crumb pie, dumped it into a bowl and then smashed and stirred it to beyond recognition. She then proceeded to fill layers of puff pastry (that she took the time to bake) with the mashed apple pie, crust and all. She layered it with Coolwhip.

I'm still not over watching her assemble that abomination. It was served with a Red Bull Martini. I just don't understand.

This is a huge shame, but its to be expected.

I like Sara Moulton a lot. She's an incredibly nice person, and is one of the most knowledgeable chefs on television today. Her show is one of the few on FoodTV that actually seeks to teach cooking from the basic techniques level, and is a hard core cooking show, and not strictly "food entertainment". With Sara gone, only Alton Brown will have the only truly educational cooking show on the Food Network. I'm sure that before long, Alton will have to look for greener pastures as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I haven't turned to FoodTV for a long time. Too much hucksterism and too much "fun" (that isn't) in the shows, not to mention the inflated egos parading around and not doing much.

I do miss the days of John Ash, Curtis Aikens and Mary Ann Esposito, and even David Rosengarten was easier to watch than the inane claptrap showing now.

And I loved Two Hot Tamales!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm sorry to see Sara go. I love her shows. I thought Cooking Live was great and wondered how she could have the stamina to do a show like it every night. When she started Sara's Secrets, I didn't watch too often, but what I've seen I've liked. I've learned a lot from her. I find it hard to believe Sandra Lee's show exists. It's horrible and offers no information.

Emma Peel

In the fall and winter of 1999 I had the pleasure of being a guest on Cooking Live Primetime 3 times. Sara was such a treat to work with. She was (and I assume still is) very unassuming, friendly, organized and professional and kept the show moving forward. I have to say that Primetime was my favorite F/N show because it showcased chefs as they cooked and presented food from their establishments. Where else could you see Eric Ripert one night, Tony Bourdain another night, Michel Richard, Jamie Shannon, George Germon......The first time I was on Tom Condron (the other guest chef) & I dined at Gramercy Tavern then caught a cab to the studio and before the show went live we were each poured a glass of red wine. Our bellies were already full of wine, foie gras, prime beef and white truffle oil and now we're drinking more wine with Sara Moulton and just chatting it up like we were guests in her house. Who knew one hour could go by so fast? I miss the old Food Network but unfortunately we live in a culture that is obsessed with saving time, energy and labor. Why should anyone bother cooking ever again when the grocery stores sell instant mashed potatoes, frozen enchiladas, and pretenderized steaks. Just season with BAM! and serve....

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

This is a huge shame, but its to be expected.

I like Sara Moulton a lot. She's an incredibly nice person, and is one of the most knowledgeable chefs on television today. Her show is one of the few on FoodTV that actually seeks to teach cooking from the basic techniques level, and is a hard core cooking show, and not strictly "food entertainment". With Sara gone, only Alton Brown will have the only truly educational cooking show on the Food Network. I'm sure that before long, Alton will have to look for greener pastures as well.

Fortunately, Brown has found a way to wad a huge amount of hard-core cooking-geek info into an entertaining package, or else, yeah, I'd figure the Food Network marketers would have found his show too brainy for their prime-time infotainment concept well before now. That, and he's won a couple of prizes ... and he's demonstrated via Iron Chef America his willingness to play the more purely food-entertainment game with FN too ...

Okay, I am completely and totally speculating here, but can't help wondering if there was some kind of quid-pro-quo: "Hey Alton, do ICA and we'll be sure to renew your Good Eats contract." Far-fetched? I dunno. Maybe I just have a naturally suspicious mind. :biggrin:

IMO, the dumbing down of Food network programming is really insulting.  Look at the PBS shows for example.  Most of them have likeable hosts, good production quality and are entertaining, but make you want to cook.  Lidia Bastianich comes to mind when I think of a quality food show host.  Same with Jacques Pepin or Colameco.  They know what they're talking about, show how to make food in such a way that both beginner and experienced chefs don't feel overwhelmed or talked down to, and all the while encourage people to enjoy good food.

Maybe the change of direction of Food Network in a bad way, will spark a change of direction for the PBS shows in a good way!

Maybe the change of direction of Food Network in a bad way, will spark a change of direction for the PBS shows in a good way!

Or maybe, better yet, a new food channel recognizing that they currently have a great chance to compete.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

I'll misss Sara, but I too, am not surprised. Her time slots were not primo, and the network seems to running more to the likes of Emeril (gag) and Rachel Ray (gag-gag). Sara has no perceivable schtick, just comes out cooks and that's that. I find I've been barely turning the network on lately.

Rachel Ray just went up a notch in my estimation. I still find her inane and boring, but at least we've just found out the answer to "how low will she go?".

Sara Moulton seemed nice and her cooking technique seemed good, but I can't say I've tuned to Food Network at all in over two years. What's the point? I can open up a can without Sandra Lee's "expert" guidance, if that's what I'm inclined to do. Which I'm not.

I have to say, although the pbs shows are better, I still get more out of going into my own kitchen and just cooking or reading a good cookbook.

Stephanie Kay

It isn't a stretch to imagine that future shows will be completely lacking any real educational value. Mass appeal, ratings, and subsidizing of shows by corporate interests will certainly decide the networks future. I wouldn't be suprised to see shows completely run by TGI Friday's combining the lastest menu features at the restaurant, reality tv competitions for management positions, and a good feelings segment at the bar with patrons discussing current events. Of course the show would air on Friday's and combine further product placement like their already popular "Jack Daniels" food. How about Olive Garden travels to Italy, etc. etc.

Sincerely,

Mr. Cranky :angry:

Interesting -- especially the "blatant product placement" issue Finch had with showing The Restaurant. Thanks for the link. Nice piece.

I'll misss Sara, but I too, am not surprised. Her time slots were not primo, and the network seems to running more to the likes of Emeril (gag) and Rachel Ray (gag-gag). Sara has no perceivable schtick, just comes out cooks and that's that. I find I've been barely turning the network on lately.

I can always rationalize Emeril in my mind, because at one time in his life, he really was a cook.

I haven't watched the Food Network in years, just tuned in and out at times, and it's just freaking bizarre. What women are left on that network, who aren't caricatures?

What women are left on that network, who aren't caricatures?

So far the one who bugs the least is Giada diLaurentiis.

I think a lot of people are reading way too much into this. I watched 'Sarah's Secrets' here and there, but I never really got that into it, her food seemed a bit dull compared to what some of the other F'N TV chefs whip up. As for there being no other real chefs on the network:

Emeril, for all his fame, is still a great chef, and makes very tasty looking stuff on his shows. Emeril Live bugs me just because I don't like studio audiences, too Oprah, but the 1 on 1 Emeril show is great. Bobbly Flay can get a bit repetitive with his Honey and Cilantro obessions, but I still have learned a ton from watching him, and like his personality or not, he knows how to cook.

Giadia and Mario are still around, and kicking strong it seems. The camera angles on Giadias show make me feel odd, but other than she does explain things well and tends to be a nice step between Sandra Lee and everything from scratch Mario.

Ina Garten and Paula Dean are around for good old fashioned solid home cooking, diets be damned. If diets are your thing Juan Carlos and George Stelle have the bases covered.

As has been stated above, Alton is still around too, and I turned on the TV the other day it who do I behold other than Wolfgang Puck! I'm sure the Puck shows are old, but they are great, and he seems to be very eager to teach in them.

There is a lot going on in Foodnetwork besides just Rachel Ray (who i also like, though I don't watch her celebrity show, that one just seems odd) and Sandra Lee. They are developing a lot of entertainment instead of cooking shows, sure, but if they decide to explore both sides maybe eventually the network will split, ala MTV and MTV2, one network to do everything that is a cooking show, one to do everything else.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide