• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: bleudauvergne

lucy,

your photos capture the essence of the subject. looking at the photo of the books for sale on the quay i found myself swooning, struck by the intense smell of moth balls and old paper.

thank you for bringing us the melancholy and the romance of spring in lyon.

rk

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Thank you, Lucy! I was busy and out of town during the past week, so I have been quiet in following your blog. It was truly wonderful and as several people mentioned, so inspirational. I couldn't go without posting a note of thanks.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Lucy, what is your preferred dipping sauce for the jaodzi? I have super easy access to really great, nice thin wrappers, so usually cop out and buy those. For some reason, I always aim for and get 7 or 9 pleats per dumpling. I'm curious if there's something about the number of pleats?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

For some reason, I always aim for and get 7 or 9 pleats per dumpling.  I'm curious if there's something about the number of pleats?

There's a belief that the number of pleats a chef can put on a dumpling is a testament to the his/her skills. I've seen restaurants/chefs that boast of dumplings that have no fewer than 18 pleats, or 20 pleats.

I've also read somewhere that Shanghainese xiaolongbao must have exactly 16 pleats.

But you'll rarely see dumplings with 4 or 14 pleats. Same is true for 7.

6, 8 and 9 are good numbers.

Edited by Laksa (log)

Thank you for opening up your life and your home to us, Lucy.

It was a pleasure to be with you this week.

We're going to close Lucy's installment now. Tammylc, the next blogger in the sequence, has her installment up and running. Go check it out, as the eGullet Foodblog leaves Lyon, France and heads over to Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Soba