• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salmon House on the Hill, Vancouver

I would appreciate members' input on Salmon House on the Hill in the Vancouver general area.

I wonder about the taste effects of the restaurant's Alderwood smoking process. Apparently, in the absence of traffic, this restaurant can be accessed from downtown Vancouver in about 15-20 minutes.

• 4 years later...

Vancitygirl:

It has been probably been longer for my wife and I during our visits with friends in North Van. As I recollect our dinner was quite good. Alder-cooked salmon. Extensive primarily Cdn. wine list. Beautiful view afforded by the multi-tiered seating and terrific west coast art.

However, as I said it has been quite some time. I have wondered whether it has become known as a "tourist trap" given the absence of comments here whereas Beachside Cafe, The Beach House at Dundarave Pier, La Regalade and the like are mentioned in West Van.

it's basically your typical "west coast" menu. no more, no less

in regards to travel time, i think 15-20 minutes sounds about right. maybe even quicker. just go up taylor way and on to the highway.

bork bork bork

I live some five minutes from the Salmon House but never go there. And I certainly don't bring out-of-towners (I take them to Le Regalade). Why? Because the last time I was there the food only so-so for the price and the service was slow. The view is stupendous, but frankly I don't like to be distracted by views when I'm eating.

Paul B

I went to Salmon House on the Hill for the first time a couple months ago with a group for lunch. I didn't feel like eating fish that day and had the french dip sandwich. Big mistake. This turned out to be possibly the worst french dip sandwich of my life, drenched with an extremely strong, thick terriaki sauce that ruined the whole thing. Everyone else I was with seemed to enjoy their food, and the view was great. But I won't be rushing to go back there again... what kind of restaurant messes up a french dip sandwich?

Edited by Rasputin45 (log)