• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC in the Spring

docsconz

I noticed that you and Menton1, by asking different questions, got different recommendations -- because we in DC believe in custom solutions. Nonetheless, it might be worth you're scrolling through his thread, and vice versa, just to see if anything catches your eye.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Charlottesville?  Wasn't/isn't there a pizza place there just outside of the city that is legendary?  Also, a really eccentric person owns it who won't seat you unless you have a reservation?

It's been a few years, but I believe the pizza place in question was Crozet Pizza. I don't recall it being particularly special, though.

Crozet pizza! Yes!!!! The Washington Post ran a story about it a year or two ago where the author claimed it had one of the best pizzas on earth. Just outside of Charlottesville. Well....he really did say this but at the time I didn't know if his experience was limited to Domino's and Celeste but it was still intriguing! The eccentricity of the owner was also a curiosity.

I've never known anyone who actually went there. On a couple of trips travelling up 29 I couldn't remember it's name to stop or look up. Interesting. Really, interesting. Another "urban legend" falls by the wayside. Thanks. Much appreciated.

To be honest, Joe, I can't say that Crozet Pizza is not the best pizza in the world. The fact that I remember the name after 15 years says that it has had some reputation. While I have been there I can't say that I specifically recall it as being particularly wonderful, the way I can recall places like Eastern Standard, The Silver Thatch Inn and Guadalajara. Now I have no idea if any of those places are still around let alone still good, but they do stand out in my memory.

Thanks Charles, I missed that thread when I first posted mine, but since then have followed it as well.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

An interesting point about the Cathedral, I believe this is correct, is that it is the last true Gothic structure to be built anywhere in the world. Flying butresses and everything, including the Gargoyles. They had a hard time recruiting the stone cutters to finish the outside -- apparently stone cutting is an extinct profession because it is invariably lethal for the stonecutters.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

These are great recs. While my wife and I visited DC a lot while I did my residency at UVA and have a fair sense of the city from then, our boys have not spent any significant   time there. The challenge is going to be integrating the interests of a 15, 13 and a 5y/o:laugh:.

The National Cathedral is certainly something I hadn't considereed before. That would be fun to get that vantage point. It will also probably be less crowded than the Washington Monument.

Monument's closed for terror-proofing, anyway.

I think it is supposed to re-open the first week of April.

These are great recs. While my wife and I visited DC a lot while I did my residency at UVA and have a fair sense of the city from then, our boys have not spent any significant   time there. The challenge is going to be integrating the interests of a 15, 13 and a 5y/o:laugh:.

The National Cathedral is certainly something I hadn't considereed before. That would be fun to get that vantage point. It will also probably be less crowded than the Washington Monument.

Monument's closed for terror-proofing, anyway.

I think it is supposed to re-open the first week of April.

Sure enough. I thought it was later.

Another good view can be had from the tower of the Old Post Office Pavilion on Pennsylvania Avenue, near the History Museum and the Penn Quarter restaurants.

And since I'd clearly rather spend time on eGullet than deal with a particularly frustrating writing assignment at work, I racked my brains for places l5-year-old for ast night and came up with two I used to take mine to.

Trio's, on 17th and Q, is just a diner, but it's cheap and convenient to Dupont Circle if you're at the Phillips. The waitresses are very tolerant and they serve excellent (ie, real) chocolate milkshakes. On nice days they have outdoor seating in a pleasant people-watching 'hood.

And, in Georgetown, Cafe La Ruche (31st St., very close to the Joe H's fave public works project, the C&O Canal) offers cafe classics in a very relaxed atmosphere and, again, outside.

I'm on the pavement

I cannot believe Komi hasn't been mentioned up to this point. I'm disappointed in y'all.

Komi is located on the corner of 17th and P near Blockbuster and Sushi-Taro (neither of them recommended.) It's a little gem with incredible attention to detail and great food. I would recommend a reservation, particularly on a weekend night.

If you want proper sushi, consider Sushi-Ko in upper Georgetown or Kaz near the World Bank on I and 19th St. Lovely, imaginative sushi and yummy small plates.

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

Trio's, on 17th and Q, is just a diner, but it's cheap and convenient to Dupont Circle if you're at the Phillips. The waitresses are very tolerant and they serve excellent (ie, real) chocolate milkshakes. On nice days they have outdoor seating in a pleasant people-watching 'hood.

There was a small item in yesterday's food section that said the chef from 15 RIA is about to open her own place in the Trio space, called Hank's Oyster Bar. It will be open by the time this family comes to town, but they will be mightily perplexed if they go to 17th street and look for Trio.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

• 1 month later...

We arrived home today from a fantastic trip to DC. I would like to thank everyone for the recommendations both culinary and otherwise I am absolutely impressed with the variety and quality of the food in and around DC. It is a truly exciting place to be for anyone with an interest in eating well and in my opinion holds up well against any city in the US right now.

Culinary highlights included Citronelle, Jaleo, Zaytinya, Firefly, Corduroy, Two Amys, Rays the Steaks and even The Museum of the American Indian cafeteria all of which I havealready or will post to those discussion topics. The only disappointment for me and this is relative was Taqueria Poblano in Alexandria. It was good, but paled compared to the other places we ate.

Touristic highlights included The Holocaust Museum, The Toulouse-Lautrec exhibition at The National Gallery, The Zoo, The International Spy Museum, the tour of the Capitol from our Congressman's Office, Mount Vernon, the Monuments, Air and Space and the national cathedral. Unfortunately the day we allocated for that was foggy so the views were unremarkable.

It was extremely difficult to choose our dining spots as well as our visiting spots. we sacrificed some depth for breadth touristically, but that unfortunately was somewhat necessary with a 5yo in tow. Therre is a lot more to get back for. The only problem is that the restaurants we ate at were so good I'll have to devote more time to a visit to get some others in too.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

We arrived home today from a fantastic trip to DC. I would like to thank everyone for the recommendations both culinary and otherwise I am absolutely impressed with the variety and quality of the food in and around DC. It is a truly exciting place to be for anyone with an interest in eating well and in my opinion holds up well against any city in the US right now.

Culinary highlights included Citronelle, Jaleo, Zaytinya, Firefly, Corduroy, Two Amys, Rays the Steaks and even The Museum of the American Indian cafeteria all of which I havealready or will post to those discussion topics. The only disappointment for me and this is relative was Taqueria Poblano in Alexandria. It was good, but paled compared to the other places we ate.

Touristic highlights included The Holocaust Museum, The Toulouse-Lautrec exhibition at The National Gallery, The Zoo, The International Spy Museum, the tour of the Capitol from our Congressman's Office, Mount Vernon, the Monuments, Air and Space and the national cathedral. Unfortunately the day we allocated for that was foggy so the views were unremarkable.

It was extremely difficult to choose our dining spots as well as our visiting spots. we sacrificed some depth for breadth touristically, but that unfortunately was somewhat necessary with a 5yo in tow. Therre is a lot more to get back for. The only problem is that the restaurants we ate at were so good I'll have to devote more time to a visit to get some others in too.

John,

Glad the recs worked out. Just read all of your reports and have to say WOW, that's a lot of food. I'm impressed.

How much weight did you gain this weekend?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

John,

Glad the recs worked out. Just read all of your reports and have to say WOW, that's a lot of food. I'm impressed.

How much weight did you gain this weekend?

Not to quibble, but it was actually four days of eating and not just a weekend :laugh:

I haven't weighed myself yet :hmmm: I'm not sure that I am going to.:wink:

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks! I enjoyed the tour very much myself :laugh: Seriously, DC is a great city and has been one for tourists for quite some time. I am amazed at what it has become as far a a culinary destination. What I got to was only the tip of the iceberg as far as what is available. One can only eat so much in four days time :biggrin: There are so many places we didn't get to on this trip that I would love to, including Cafe Atlantico and Mini-bar, Palena, Restaurant Eve, Maestro, Breadline and many ethnic spots. I guess that and a desire to revisit the places we got to leave good reason to return to this fair city sooner rather than later.

Twitter - @docsconz

It is always easier to go for the gusto when on vacation. I'm not sure how long I could have sustained eating like that-either physically or financially! :raz: Spiritually it felt good, though :wink:

DC certainly has a lot to offer.

Twitter - @docsconz