• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona hotel restaurants

docsconz

Since we are talking hotels here, any thoughts on the Hotel Omm? or the Restaurant Moo?

Note from the host: This thread was splitted from Casa Camper thread

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It well can be my own perception, but it looks to me that the last wave of hotel restaurants opened in Barcelona aren't getting a positive welcome. More specifically, Roca's bross Moo and Sergi Arola's Arola.

I imagine that Carles Gaig's cuisine, which left his centenary location at Passeig Maragall to find a new home in a hotel whose name eludes me, is above good and evil and won't suffer an inch in the moving. Let's see how Santi Santamaría does in his two new restaurants, both in hotels, one in Barcelona and the other, the one intended to serve to gastronomes alike, in L'Hospitalet.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Pedro, I am curious to hear more about these. especially Moo and Santamaria's place. What do you (or anyone else) know about the latter in particular? I'll follow whoever to a new thread if indicated.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Sorry if this should be a new thread... but...

Omm and Moo

I've heard mixed opinions about Moo. Personally I remember feeling a bit rushed by the service and underwhelmed by the food when I was there or at least not having enough breathing space to really notice the food. Though I must admit to being a bit distracted by other matters. I've also heard some clients having slightly off experiences in terms of the accommodation, though this mainly seemed to centre around the lack of net access in the rooms - the wireless net connections didn't work and the 'experts' sent to solve the problem knew less about it than the guests.

Arola

I think the problem here is it's quite a narrow concept aimed at a certain type of person. It's as much about the beauty of the staff and the cool music and decor as about the food - fun, modern but accessible tapas, and it's as much a cocktail bar as a dining destination. Though I haven't been there! It's just what I've trawled from friends' reports and reading feedback on the net. Don't think it's bad, just disappointing for fans of La Broche maybe?

Gaig

I can't help thinking a move to a Hotel that calls itself Cram (Anglo-centric though this opinion may be) can't be a good thing. I have read one fairly negative review - seemed to be saying acceptable food and less than acceptable service - though I think such moves tend to attract willfully negative attention. Other than that I've heard very little about it and would love to hear the opinion of anyone who's visited it at its new site.

And I second the call for more information about Santamaria's new ventures. Any info on names, places?

And I second the call for more information about Santamaria's new ventures. Any info on names, places?

When I met him in July, he indicated that he would continue his relationship with Hesperia, the hotel chain. He was going to support (gastronomic director is the title given to his relationship with Hesperia) two restaurants: one more casual, turning tables especially at lunch time, at the Hotel Presidente, named Sant Esteve. The second one, at the new Hesperia Tower, would be conceived as a gastronomic destination.

Regarding the first one, I don't know which is the current state of the project. Hesperia doesn't seem to publicize Santi Santamaría as being behind Sant Esteve, hotel Presidente's restaurant, something that would be difficult to understand if Santi is indeed playing some kind of role there. The only info I found is this: Hesperia acquiring hotel Presidente (mention of Santi Santamaría).

I do really hope that Santi doesn't spread too thin among too many ventures.

Latest report I've had from dinner at Arola was a glowing one, just last weekend. So, unless we speak from personal experience, drawing conclusions from what appears on the net seems like a somewhat dangerous (and unfair) exercise to me.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Agreed, Víctor. However, my impression, and I'm not talking of anything more than that, was based on first hand reports from people in the business and in the media.

The negative effects of poor first reports is obvious and our members will not be immune from the negative effect. On the other hand, we have a broad base of members and it includes those with the sort of curiosity who will risk a bad meal in exchange for first hand knowledge and upon whom we can depend for a second wave of reports.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

While I don't think one should completely dismiss a restaurant (or hotel, or film or anything else) based on reports on the net, I don't think one should completely dismiss the usefulness of such reports, either, particularly as many egulleteers use these forums for that very purpose.

Of course, one needs to consider the context of any review. You can find plenty of backpacker reviews extolling the virtues of microwave paella joints and Irish pub lunches, but you can equally find fair and erudite reviews from discerning and well travelled diners and, perhaps more importantly, experienced locals - such as those on this site.

All personal opinions are, of course, personal and no amount of research will guarantee you a good (or bad) experience when dining out. Having said that, many people have limited resources in terms of time and money and will want to maximise their chances of a good experience. I just see the Internet as offering more chances for them to do that, of course using the same common sense and powers of judgement as in any other form of communication - whether reading a magazine review or getting a tip from a work colleague etc.

I do agree though, that there is a danger of too much information. I recently researched hotels in Paris on the Internet and each time I found one I was interested in I'd find a negative review. But you learn to balance the good and bad and sense which reviewers you feel more trusting of or in empathy with.

Sorry - this has got really off-topic! Perhaps a list of other egullet-approved restaurant-review sites would be useful. It's hard to find something in English that's not PR puff. I like verema.com's review site but it's in Spanish and there are a few reviews that seem to have been 'planted'. Also as it's a wine site the emphasis is on the wine service.

Any others? New thread?

One of the great things about restaurant reviews at a site like eGullet is that one can gleam a sense of the restaurant from the posters other writings and overall history as well as a specific post and recommendation. While it is not necessary to have read much from someone before, often one can get a sense of how accurate to one's own taste a report may be by the writing. The same is true for any restaurant reviewer. The better or more consistent the reviewing the better chance one has to make an informed decision about a particular restaurant. I think this is especially true for the more creative restaurants of which Barcelona and Spain are particularly flush.

I am thinking of spending a night at the Omm and considering Moo. While there are many othe choices for dinner, this one night will be our arrival in Spain. I expect we will be fairly tired and the following day we'll be off to El Bulli so I'd rather not exert ourselves too much. :wink:

Twitter - @docsconz

A random and unscientific check of references to Moo brings up mostly favorable notices for me, although a good number of them are publicity fluff pieces from hotel reservation sites. The commenatry from editorial sites also seems to run heavily towards noting how "hot" the place is. The JP Moser site says the restaurant has two Michelin stars. I assume those are Can Roca's stars. That would make Adria's Fast Good, a three star sandwich shop. What did Victor say above about not believing everything you read on the web.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

For the sake of debate: according to RGS, Can Roca 9, Moo 6.5 (in Spanish, already featured in Rogelio's digest).

I have an opinion about Moo which we visited last year in January 2004. We have been Roca brothers supporters since 1998. We applaud their culinary achievements.

Moo in our experience was a poor representation of the Roca brothers talent as it played out at the time of our 2004 visit. The wait staff was not educated nor informed about the Roca brothers immense talent; I fault the Roca brothers for their Barcelona restaurant failings. Their failure to educate this staff is most unfortunate. Our dining experience was terribly flawed. We essentially dined on a meal that was conceived in 2001 at their remarkable Gerona restaurant.

It has been over a year since we sampled the Roca brothers talents in Barcelona.

We truly hope there has been an improvement of the many menu items that the Roca brothers have instituted at this restaurant in this hotel in Barcelona. Judith Gebhart

the following day we'll be off to El Bulli so I'd rather not exert ourselves too much. :wink:

docsconz...

Did I miss something?

You snagged reservations at El Bulli???

Mucho congratulations!!!

2317/5000

Thanks, Ted. I am excited. we are building our summer around that.

With Moo a matter of some debate, what opinions do people have of the hotel Omm and thoughts about other nearby restaurants? Cinc Sentits is not too far away. I owe them another visit, but I'm not sure a jet-lagged evening would put me in much better shape than the last time I was there.

Twitter - @docsconz

Having been to BCN twice this last month, and both times (the second time against better knowledge) visitede Moo. Both times the "Roca" menu was identical, slightly adventurous, but at the same time to me the food seemed churned out along the same mold without any particular soul, and IMHO more representative of the "food industry" rather than any gastronomical experience. One stand out to me was their version of suckling pig, excellent crunch and almost molten interior, but still a far cry from the traditional lechonas that Spain has to offer.

BUT: THE main flaw was: Lack of service, snotty attitude, total discoordination regarding bread/wine serving (The 1st time we had the wine/food pairing). Moo must have the best waiter/guest ratio of any restaurant short of numerous 3* establishments outside of France, and they completely succeed at being able to do nothing while pretending to be extremely busy/occupied.

On the 1st occation I was there as a guest of another party and therefore did not intervene, however on the 2nd occasion I was the host: After 1h20min (We had preordered the tasting menu, so no wasting time on decisions)we had only received our 1st amuse, no bread, the wrong champagne (twice!)... This did not bode well, and I therefore confronted the Maitre d' (Albeit discreetly, far away from the rest of my now fuming, and knowledgeable guests) with the lack of service and coordination. I must commend his reaction, immediately seeking to give us the best service possible afterwards. As one of my colleagues said afterwards: "S**t, what happened?"

The only let down was wheb the restaurant manager at the end of our meal came over, trying to excuse the service in general in a rather self-righteous way...

I might be back, but that might be more due to a beautifully selected wine list rather than tha the total gastronomic experience. (Cinc Sentits does the slow cooked egg ten times better)

As for Gaig: I liked it better when they wee uptown, the restaurant itself much lighter, as was the ambience; to me the place now is somber, both regarding atmosphere and presentation, and did not really provice an exceptionally memorable experience..

Thanks for your insights. I think I might avoid it.

It is funny how moving can negatively effect a restaurant. The dynamics change and not necessarily for the better.

Twitter - @docsconz