• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants near St Paul's

Dear Vancouver eGulleteers:

My husband is going to be spending a lot of time around St Paul's over the next six days because his 91 year old father is having open heart surgery. Can you recommend some restaurants in the neighborhood of St Paul's Hospital (1100 Burrard Street)?

Thank-you. Robin

My friend whose father was a doctor at St Paul's said when she would visit - her father would take her to Roy's Seafood in the hotel next to the Hospital. Not sure what it is like now.

There is also Okada in Nelson Square on the other side of the Wall Center.

I hope everything works out well for your husband and his father.

When both of my mother's parents were in St. Paul's we would usually end up at Roy's. This was 12 years ago though and I'm not sure if it's still any good. If you can get there early, Bin 941 is a great place to have dinner.

Good luck, I hope everything goes well!

Edited by peppyre (log)

A few more ideas:

Vera's Burger Shack on Davie for hamburgers

relish on Nelson and Hornby. I haven't been myself but here is a review by Tim Pawsey: click for relish review

Lunch Box Soup on Hornby just north of Nelson. Again I haven't been, but I've heard they have some good soups. I think they may be closed for dinner.

Good luck to your father in law.

Cheers,

Anne

Hi Robin,

Your husband will find a ton of restaurants on Davie St.

Lickerish, Bin 941, Takis, alot of cheap and cheerful options like Cafe Luxy- huge plates of not bad pasta, has anyone tried Bravo Bistro- Amuse Bouche- I know there was a thread going, I think.

Hope your father in law is OK.

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Kam's Place on Davie St. between Burrard and Thurlow. Try the House Chili Chicken (spicey). Suggest staying away from the Pad Thai and Mee Goreng though.

Edited by butter (log)

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your recos. My father in law had his surgery two days ago (it was postponed by the hospital). It went very well.

Jeff went to Relish last night and emailed : We just came back from Relish It was OK, but nothing to recommend. I had a duck and goat cheese rissoto and Julian had a pork chop.

But he found a very good sushi place near the hotel the night before but does not remember the name. i will try to get it from him and post it.

Robin