• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cruzcampo (a Spanish beer)

planojim

During my junior year of college many many (16) years ago, I took a semester and attended school in Seville, Spain.

The food, I can get here in the states, but the beer that I consumed by the bucketload in Seville was called Cruzcampo, and I have NEVER seen it in the United States.

Does anyone know why it's so hard to find beers from Spain in the US? lack of interest? Surely it can't be from lack of quality.....I'd stack that Cruzcampo up against a Peroni any day of the week.

I travel a lot with my job, so if anyone has seen it, let me know, I'll schedule a trip there.

Cruzcampo is brewed by Heineken and looks to be available in the US. Comparing it to Peroni does not say much good about it IMO!!!

I bought some at a store in Maryland. I did not like it much (1.8 out of 5.0 per my review). Adjunct lagers are not really my thing though.

Hope this helps, even though I slammed your beer!

Cheers!

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com

I never said it was the best beer, just that I wanted some :)

Reminds me of the good ol days, when I was younger and thinner. But, then again, I also load up on Stroh's bottles when I'm in Michigan, so what do I know?

Thanks for the link. It was very helpful.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know why it's so hard to find beers from Spain in the US?  lack of interest? 

Most imported beers are initially supported by their own cultures, Spain is much more "wine-centric" and as a result there seems to be little demand for Spanish beer abroad.

More surprising to me is that Vancouver, where I live, has a large Philipino population and yet it is virtually impossible to find San Miguel anywhere.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, I tried drinking a forty of Cruzcampo when I was visiting Spain, and I just could not finish the bottle. Very skunky tasting; perhaps I got a bad bottle.

I much preferred the standard Aguila (Amstel) or San Miguel when in Spain. Even Alhambra beer was much better.