• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch on Rt. 3 in Clfton

Susan

I'd get off Rt. 3 and go to the Petite Cafe in Nutley! It's not fancy, but it's a really cute spot for lunch, and you can sit and chat without any pressure. The thread is HERE.

And/or I'd head to Montclair, which has numerous options... :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'd recommend The Seasons, a good American-style Chinese restaurant with a few authentic dishes to boot. It's right off the Route 3, Bloomfield Ave exit. Hang a right onto Bloomfield Ave; you'll see it on your right in the Styretowne Shopping Plaza.

Tina Louise pan-asian has gotten pretty good reviews-- nice casual Asian in a pleasant environment with a very reasonable lundh menu.

Tina Louise

Address: 403 Hackensack St, Carlstadt, NJ 07072

Phone: (201) 933-7133

Can you tell me more about  The Seasons?...

Seasons Chinese Cuisine

Address: 1061 Bloomfield Ave, Clifton, NJ 07012

Phone: (973) 777-5538

Is *not* BYO... Has been my 'take out' place for a number of years, owners are very nice and chatty (last time in, in fact, we traded notes on C46). However their chef left a few months ago to start Sesame in Montclair and the food (esp. soups, delicate items) has suffered a bit.

I often go to the stuff my kids like (Mu Shu, Peking Pork, etc.) but the roasted duck and salt baked shrimp, scallion pancakes - all capable (yet predictable).

(added add'y)

Edited by waves2ya (log)

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

I agree with the previous post. It is also my favorite Chinese take-out place of choice. The "Authentic" items are good, but in no way compare to the same dishes you would find at the likes of say, China 46 or Hunan Cottage. What they do, and they do it well, are American-style Chinese dishes (gourmet take-out).

I agree with the previous post. It is also my favorite Chinese take-out place of choice. The "Authentic" items are good, but in no way compare to the same dishes you would find at the likes of say, China 46 or Hunan Cottage. What they do, and they do it well, are American-style Chinese dishes (gourmet take-out).

genearally, I'd say that the seasonns is mediocre take-out chinese food. overall, very bland and few, if any, interesting dishes. the montclair area is a wasteland of mostly "order by picture" chinese places. while the four seasons is a cut above that, I'd say it's only a slight notch above.

...the montclair area is a wasteland of mostly "order by picture" chinese places. 

You're absolutely right!! I know this isn't exactly on topic, but why is that?!? When my bro moved to Montclair a few months ago, we went searching for Chinese food, and the only thing in town that was decent was Sesame. Truly surprising in a place with so many dining options. :hmmm:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

...the montclair area is a wasteland of mostly "order by picture" chinese places. 

You're absolutely right!! I know this isn't exactly on topic, but why is that?!? When my bro moved to Montclair a few months ago, we went searching for Chinese food, and the only thing in town that was decent was Sesame. Truly surprising in a place with so many dining options. :hmmm:

the best in the area is sesame or chengdu, however, i'm not a huge fan of either. if i dont feel like trekking out to fairfield, i usually will just have thai. brookside thai is really exceptional and cheap, to boot.