• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

James Chatto--Compromised Critic?

Could it be Bux only meant he was against reading a "bad review of a restaurant that deserves a better one" and not against all negative reviews?

No Klc, I think Shaw has a fair fix on what I said, although you correctly read my main thrust which was to complain about unfairly negative reviews. Nevertheless, I got carried away overstating my position and should always be on guard against universal statements. As much as negative reviews are of less interest, I cannot categorically say they serve no purpose although I feel the space used might be put to better use by a positive review of something else most of the time. Of course negativity is often in the eyes of the beholder. When I say "Chef Jones should find himself another profession," I am offering constructive advice which should be taken in the positive sense in which it is offered.

:biggrin:

I've used the word "champion" a lot when referring to criticism. I enjoy reading writing that champions a cause or an artist or craftsperson with enthusiasm. I don't enjoy reading that "Chef Jones should find himself another profession."

My recollection is that we've had this discussion here before and that Shaw had some good examples of negative criticism, but my natural inclination was to file them in the dark recesses of my mind.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Lesley, sorry for not posting about this sooner. In your list of top Toronto food writers, you mention Cynthia David(the only one, that I didn't recognize). Who is Cynthia David, & where does she write for?

------------

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

For info on Cynthia David - here's a link to a PWAC workshop that Lesley and Cynthia participated in. Lesley - did you get a lot of food writer wannabes?

Cynthia David (and Lesley) info

As well, here's a link to Joanne Kate's description of being a restaurant critic. Comments?

Confessions of a Critic

&encoded_keywords=confessions+of+a+critic&option=&start_row=2&current_row=2&start_row_offset1=&num_rows=1&search_results_start=1]http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet....start=1

I just happen to notice a new Cynthia David food article today. This is before reading now, the Degustation posted information, offering the link to Cynthia & Lesley PWAC workshop(thanks!). Now I remember this workshop, but forgot that Cynthia David was involved. Is Cynthia that influential in Toronto? Her name doesn't seem to ever come up in Toronto food writing circles!

----------

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

James Chatto - Beard Foundation nominee

I'm probably way late on this topic - go to Torontolife.com - you will find info on virtually any Toronto spot. I have been dining in Toronto at LEAST 2 meals every month and sometimes more. If you ever need a decent tip on a place - I can give you my 2 cents. Chatto's reviews are usually dead nuts accurate. Canoe, Susur, North 44, Centro, Scaramouche - but how about Pangaea, Rain, Eigensinn Farm ?? I gotta stop - I'm getting goose pimples. For the money - Toronto is a bargain and a negative review can still be the truth.

OK you guys I'm totally blushing here...

When it comes to Mr. Chatto, I have to admit I've never heard of him. I just can't trust a restaurant critic who writes for a magazine (all fluff, little honesty).

Also, Toronto may now have a Williams Sonoma, but, considering the size of the city, it doesn't have much of a restaurant scene (I look forward to Steven Shaw's upcoming report to see if things have evolved).

I think it's fair to say that Joanne Kates, Lucy Waverman, Bonnie Stern, Cynthia David, Elizabeth Baird, and the wonderful Anne Lindsay are the big names in food writing in Toronto.

To Steven's list of Canadian writers I'd include Julian Armstrong, the Food Editor of the Montreal Gazette.

:shock: i have travelled over the world eating my way for many years. i think that you are completely off base about the toronto food scene. it is vibrant, cosmopolitan and in some cases worldly.

next visit to toronto, try susur's tasting menu, the new splendido, avalon,

eigensinn inn outside toronto (michael stadtlander), the 5th, lai wah heen, etc. and if you are coming, i will provide you with a long list and what each resto specializes in. toronto has the greatest ethnic variety of restos in northamerica on par with new york. it certainly has better and more authentic chinese restos than anywhere in the usa! ie...san francisco and new york chinese is a joke in comparison.

next visit to toronto, try susur's tasting menu, the new splendido, avalon,

eigensinn inn outside toronto (michael stadtlander), the 5th, lai wah heen, etc.  and if you are coming, i will provide you with a long list and what each resto specializes in. toronto has the greatest ethnic variety of restos in northamerica on par with new york. it certainly has better and more authentic chinese restos than anywhere in the usa! ie...san francisco and new york chinese is a joke in comparison.

Absolutely

• 1 year later...
But when I think of Toronto I think pro sports and big business, not food. Now when I think of Montreal, I think of food -- certainly not sports or big business!

Although it's easy to associate Toronto with sports and business, the restaurant scene should not be dismissed. In average, montreal may have more good restaurants, but at the highest end, I think Toronto can easily rival Montreal and many big US cities (LA for sure, where I go often). Having been to Toque on the labour day weekend (Saturday), I can only remember the foie-gras dish and the desserts, which in my opinion, would get 3.5 stars (Out of 5 with the James Chatto standard)

Not to mention the ethanic restaurants in Toronto.. Chinese, Vietnamese, .. better than where it came from..

- M

Funny how the majority of these statements want to argue the merits of critics, restaurants, and personalities....what ever happened to the food....oops, maybe I'm off the mark here because , no pun intended, but someone's bread and butter is being scrutinzed....there's a whole culinary world out there............................freddychef