• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Terroir of Mendoza, Argentina Vineyards

Susan G

Just got back from two weeks of vacation in Chile and Argentina, and I saw something truly shocking. While the Mendoza region of Argentina is promoting itself as the future Napa Valley of Argentina, and while its current exports are listed as two billion dollars annually, the land itself is not under good stewardship.

Horizon to horizon of beautiful plants, good friable soil, and nearby rivers from the Andes snowpack. But upwind of the vineyards? Not one, but *two* coal-burning production plants. Smog all over the valley. Carbon sulfides up the wazoo. The only pollution I saw in the countryside. It permanently put me off Mendozan wine.

Has anyone else seen vineyards compromised by industry? How much does it affect your judgement of the quality of the wine?

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

I'm curious as to how much a nearby plant can pollute food relative to how much damage is done by chemicals applied directly to the plants.

Your observation is particularly interesting to me after again recently reading the oft-mentioned "fact" that Argentinian and Chilean grapes supposedly have much less of a need for fungicides and pesticides due in part to the geographic isolation.

With respect to pollution in California, they're starting to have to get even more strict w/respect to pollutants than they already are.

Hm, sorry, I think I may have wandered a bit off topic. :unsure: