• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St. Lawrence Market - Toronto

GordonCooks

.....something they just don't have here in Vancouver, despite their efforts)

Vancouver doesn't have anything that even comes close.

Granville Island Market is a joke and looks more like a photo op for the tourist than an actual market...

I do not think your words in respect of GI are quite fair.

The seafood selection at GI is fantastic (particularly, the fresh clams and dungeness crab and other fish selections (5-6 bucks a pound for the crab - and dirt cheap Salmon in about 5 different varieties when in season)), you cannot beat the Lobsterman (for Oysters Clams, Mussels (more than one type) and of course Lobster (not at 15 dollars a pound like SLM – uncooked even when it is in season) and the more exotic Sea Anemones (sic)), the fresh pasta selections at the two pasta shops I used to go to were great and the fresh soup stocks at the Stock Pot (not to mention their soups - that I would die for right about now and would die for some of their cool stocks to make some Risottos without having to fuss about making my own). Also, GI is open all week. Cheese was always just OK at GI, but now that Alison and Alison’s cheese shop is a very short walk from GI, where they have a cheese selection that is second to none that I am aware of in Toronto, Vancouver or Saskatoon (the places I have lived); I think the scale may tip in GI’s favour. But really, who cares when each is very good. There is no value in saying one city has “nothing” compared to another or to say something is a “joke” without putting some substance behind the comments – even with substance to say something is a “joke” does not add much. I like both and think each is unique in their own right. I always like to go to GI when I am in town and shop at SLM every weekend. I would like to try out KM but just too far to walk and impossible to park some days.

If anyone has been to Alison and Alison’s in Vancouver, is their an equivalent in the Toronto area?

officially left egullet....

.....something they just don't have here in Vancouver, despite their efforts)

Vancouver doesn't have anything that even comes close.

Granville Island Market is a joke and looks more like a photo op for the tourist than an actual market...

I do not think your words in respect of GI are quite fair.

The seafood selection at GI is fantastic (particularly, the fresh clams and dungeness crab and other fish selections (5-6 bucks a pound for the crab - and dirt cheap Salmon in about 5 different varieties when in season)), you cannot beat the Lobsterman (for Oysters Clams, Mussels (more than one type) and of course Lobster (not at 15 dollars a pound like SLM – uncooked even when it is in season) and the more exotic Sea Anemones (sic)), the fresh pasta selections at the two pasta shops I used to go to were great and the fresh soup stocks at the Stock Pot (not to mention their soups - that I would die for right about now and would die for some of their cool stocks to make some Risottos without having to fuss about making my own). Also, GI is open all week. Cheese was always just OK at GI, but now that Alison and Alison’s cheese shop is a very short walk from GI, where they have a cheese selection that is second to none that I am aware of in Toronto, Vancouver or Saskatoon (the places I have lived); I think the scale may tip in GI’s favour. But really, who cares when each is very good. There is no value in saying one city has “nothing” compared to another or to say something is a “joke” without putting some substance behind the comments – even with substance to say something is a “joke” does not add much. I like both and think each is unique in their own right. I always like to go to GI when I am in town and shop at SLM every weekend. I would like to try out KM but just too far to walk and impossible to park some days.

If anyone has been to Alison and Alison’s in Vancouver, is their an equivalent in the Toronto area?

mkjr, by Alison and Alison's do you mean Les Ami du Fromage in Vancouver? It is not equivalent, as each shop is different, but I believe you can find a very similar selection at Alex Farms in Toronto.

I had to post as I live in Vancouver, shop at Granville Island and while I was in Toronto from 1999 - 2003, shopped at St. Lawrence and at Kensignton (as well as other spots).

The markets are quite different from one another and when we cannot get to one, we miss it! While in Toronto I missed GI for early availability of many produce items that don't show up in Toronto until closer to the Toronto season. But I enjoyed the plethora of European ingredients, like fresh churned butter, lots of cuts of meat and cheeses that are just so readily available in Toronto and not in Vancouver. But here at home we are very lucky to have such vast and varied seafoods, nothing like Oyama in Toronto and just a very different feel to the market.

At SLM, the north market of day vendors on Saturday, has some really good things, apple butter from the people at the north west corner, good fresh apple cider, free range meat, the sausages from the Pork guys, the cinnamon buns from the big bakery counter - oh yum! I still have a jar of Kozlik's, I still like to get olive oil from Alex Farms (my hubby goes to Toronto a couple of times a year, so I import it!). I do miss the summer bounty in Toronto - somehow certain local items taste better there - must be the intense heat. Peaches from Niagara, there is nothing like that - the Okanagan ones are good, but not the same. I miss my peach growers, my blackberry growers and the tomatoes. There are some decent tomatoes in Vancouver in the peak of summer if it is a good year, but in the Toronto area, you can get such delectable tomatoes from the farmers at SLM and at the other city markets in the summer.

Enjoy your local bounty all!

Both are good, different and I am sure others would agree that you take the good with the bad and survive!

Regarding the St. Lawrence/Granville comparison:

I just got back from Vancouver and stayed on Granville Island. We went to the market 5 times during our stay. GI is definitely more touristy than St. Lawrence. The prices are higher as well (but that is Vancouver for you). The shop offering spices and chiles reminded me of Kensington. You really have to comparison shop at GI as I found the same items for $1-2 less depending on where you go. Nice baked goods (Vancouver seems to have a plethora of good bakeries) and the pot pies were great.

Pusateris, while offering many upsacale items (particularly oils, salts, cheeses, chocolates, coffee, and meats), caters to the rich (mostly) or at least the upper-class snobs in their volvo's, audi's, and beemers always seem to dominate the parking lot and this negatively effects their pricing.

Mark

I shop St. Jacob's a couple of times a year.

They are similiar in set-up to St. Lawrence in that there are permanent vendors

and farm vendors (similiar to SLM north market).

The market, due to it's proximity to many Mennonite farms, has many Mennonite

vendors.

Market strengths:

Pork, beef, poultry, smoked meat products and sausages.Farmed game.

Local maple syrup. Local produce. Fresh apple cider.

Market weaknesses:

Very limited seafood selection. Limited cheese selections. Lack of, for want

of a better term, upscale items.

Prices are generally lower than SLM and you can usually get discounts if you

purchase in quantity (ie. 10 lb. of chicken breasts).

We usually combine our visits to the market with a visit to Elora Gorge when

we're entertaining out of town guests.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

vendors.

Market strengths:

Market weaknesses:

Good information - thanks

vendors.

Market strengths:

Market weaknesses:

I love St.jacobs too, we are about an hour from there. We'll be taking everyone there in my upcoming food blog.

Can you tell me more about St. Lawrence? Is it open everyday?

*wondering if I can make the trip up to TO and back home in one day*

vendors.

Market strengths:

Market weaknesses:

I love St.jacobs too, we are about an hour from there. We'll be taking everyone there in my upcoming food blog.

Can you tell me more about St. Lawrence? Is it open everyday?

*wondering if I can make the trip up to TO and back home in one day*

I've only been on Saturdays

I also notice a lot of the measurements are in pounds.  I like that.  Even after 2yrs living here, I still have a hard time with the metrics.

I've lived here all my life, and I still cook in lbs and ounces. They didn't start teaching metric until I was already done school, and by then it was too late. I order cold cuts by the half pound or pound, while the ladies next to me order it in grams. Oh well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'll be doing a little shopping at the SLM tomorrow (South market), and I was wondering if there are any shops that have a good selection of chocolate (as in bars of chocolate for eating and/or cooking, not candies/sweets)? thanks :smile:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I'll be doing a little shopping at the SLM tomorrow (South market), and I was wondering if there are any shops that have a good selection of chocolate (as in bars of chocolate for eating and/or cooking, not candies/sweets)? thanks :smile:

Try Scheffler's (east side, halfway down), they have a small selection of imported chocolate. Haven't noticed it anywhere else, but I haven't really looked either. If they don't have what you're looking for, perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone been to the St Jacob's Market? I'm told by reliable sources that it has even more than Granville & the SLM.

I find that St. Jacob's is a pork fest. Nothing wrong with that but there's not a ton of variety and who wants to drive all the way there unless it's part of a greater excursion.

For my needs, I see the same vendors st SLM a couple of times a week and when I do my semi-annual tastings dinners at home these guys will bend over backwards to accomodate - as long as I tell my guests where I got my stuff and bring the vendors pictures of the dishes.

It's old school all the way.

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal. (The Simpsons)

i see salmon and fish :) are those sushi grade? :) and if they are, can i have prices? :D

From what I rememeber, the prices are about the same (but cheaper due to the canadian dollar) One vendor had beautiful loins of OTORO that were outstanding.

• 2 months later...

Because Gordon is my hero, I started my visit to Toronto with Dinner at Susur, and ended it with a peameal bacon sandwich at the Market for breakfast on the way out of town.... I'm hoping to make both a habit.

When the woman at the counter asked me what I wanted on the sandwich, I sheepishly admitted that it was my first one, and she told me I wanted honey mustard. I think that was the correct answer.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 1 year later...

Kozlicks mustards are fabulous....I have about a dozen of them. They also do some wonderful vinegars including raspberry and tarragon.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I got some of the sweet and smokey mustard this time as well as XXX hot, honey garlic and hot garlic. I love their mustards.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.