• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The wine dinner

sadistick

A while ago I had come here asking for food pairing suggestions, for our up coming wine dinner. I was asked to report back on one of the wines by Brad and others, so here I am.

Brad, things changed, and we didnt have the margeaux, but I was very fortunate to be able to taste some other awesome contributions

My somewhat sad contribution (compared to the rest) but really nice regardless

1999 Claredon Hillls Shiraz

Very nice wine, reminded me of a young amarone, nice bouquet, very fruity and crisp, first tastes... rich deep plum, some blackberry, still a bit tannic, but not overwhelming. Nice body, very smooth and surprisingly long finish.

(We paired this wine with 3 different tarts (See dinner thread in cooking forum for details) )

1974 Recioto Valpolicella Amarone

Decanted about 20 minutes before serving, amazingly complex/intense bouquet, I could literaly just sit there and smell this stuff...first tastes, I was having a really hard time describing the taste because I have not had many wines in my life (Only 22) of this quality, but it was outstanding.

1982 Chateau Cos d'Estournel St Estephe

This one also blew me away. A much darker purple color than the Amarone. Very deep and complex nose, which kept evolving as I was enjoying it. It was a very rich wine. It had the 'Bordeaux' nose with rich deep sweet prunes, and cassis.

Another wine beyond my level of explanation when it comes to taste. However I will not say I didnt try. 'Well structured body' was a comment which I heard, and agreed with, tastes of deep ripe plum, some cassis also came through in the taste. I would even venture to say this wine could still benefit from 5-10 more years of cellaring.

We also had a '68 Taylors port, but I am not sure that would qualify being in the wine section. Regardless, that was something on its own level. It reminded me of a rich liquid chocolate, sweet, rich, some raisin as well. Went amazing with a selection of cheeses.

We took a picture of the 'mugshots' as I dubbed it, all the bottles lined up post-dinner. I will hope to get that from my uncle soon, and If I ever learn how, I would post it.

Cheers.

Edited by sadistick (log)

A while ago I had come here asking for food pairing suggestions, for our up coming wine dinner.  I was asked to report back on one of the wines by Brad and others, so here I am.

Brad, things changed, and we didnt have the margeaux, but I was very fortunate to be able to taste some other awesome contributions

My somewhat sad contribution (compared to the rest) but really nice regardless

1999 Claredon Hillls Shiraz

Very nice wine, reminded me of a young amarone, nice bouquet, very fruity and crisp, first tastes... rich deep plum, some blackberry, still a bit tannic, but not overwhelming.  Nice body, very smooth and surprisingly long finish. 

(We paired this wine with 3 different tarts (See dinner thread in cooking forum for details) )

1974 Recioto Valpolicella Amarone

Decanted about 20 minutes before serving, amazingly complex/intense bouquet, I could literaly just sit there and smell this stuff...first tastes, I was having a really hard time describing the taste because I have not had many wines in my life (Only 22) of this quality, but it was outstanding. 

1982 Chateau Cos d'Estournel St Estephe

This one also blew me away.  A much darker purple color than the Amarone.  Very deep and complex nose, which kept evolving as I was enjoying it.  It was a very rich wine.  It had the 'Bordeaux' nose with rich deep sweet prunes, and cassis.

Another wine beyond my level of explanation when it comes to taste.  However I will not say I didnt try.  'Well structured body' was a comment which I heard, and agreed with, tastes of deep ripe plum, some cassis also came through in the taste.  I would even venture to say this wine could still benefit from 5-10 more years of cellaring.

We also had a '62 Graham port, but I am not sure that would qualify being in the wine section.  Regardless, that was something on its own level.  It reminded me of a  rich liquid chocolate, sweet, rich, some raisin as well.  Went amazing with a selection of cheeses.

We took a picture of the 'mugshots' as I dubbed it, all the bottles lined up post-dinner.  I will hope to get that from my uncle soon, and If I ever learn how, I would post it.

Cheers.

I am ridiculously jealous! Cos (the '88) is the wine that taught me what Bordeaux could be. Still have a weakness for St. Estephe, and Cos D'estournel in particular - especially since it's usually, in my opinion, a widely undervalued appelation. Amarone is an amazing thing. A good Amarone, sufficiently aged... I haven't had one in *way* too long. '62 Graham... I can't recall anything about the vintage offhand (other than "Its the year before my favorite - and now past peak -

vintage"), but how not great could it be?

Sounds like much fun.

Edited by Capaneus (log)

I disagree. I think this is an excellent post. I also think you're dinner sounded great. The line up was excellent. I have one bottle of the Cos 82 left and plan on drinking it soon. Your Shiraz was probably a pretty good choice. I would not have picked an Aussie wine though because for me they rarely go well with food.

I envy the fact that you have wine lovers in your family. I had to convert a few friends so I would have someone to enjoy with.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Hey Coop,

Thanks for the reply, a very kind person messaged me telling me that people dont often reply to wine write ups, c'est la vie....

Too bad your on the other side of the country, feel free to come by Toronto and Ill gladly share some wine and food :biggrin:

I picked a shiraz, and chose aussie for the new world style, to lighten up the palate before going on to the big wines...It went nice, but for $85/bottle I would of bought a Brunello or something italian.

Brunello? You must know me. Sometimes I think posting about wines I have drunk may be as interesting to read as stories about other peoples last round of golf. It would have been a 77 if I hadn't lipped out that putt.

I think you're off to a good start. If you are interested in a Western Canadian wine forum PM me.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for reporting on this. The wine lineup is impressive. I'm envious of the 82 Cos (having had 85 and 88 only). I also envy you the Recioto.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero