• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roast lamb needed

HKDave

My parental units want to be taken out for their 40-something anniversary to somewhere that has good, old-skool Greek roast lamb. Any suggestions? I used to like Athene's on Broadway but the new owners have totally cheaped out and the food is nothing like it used to be.

We're talking big chunks of dee-lish falling-apart, oregano salt and lemon rubbed slow roast lamb, not little bits of souvlaki, not slices of crappy shanks coming out of steam trays like the cheap Greek restaurants do. I don't care if they do anything else on the menu well. I don't care about 'authentic'. It's all about the roast lamb. Baaa.

Any reports?

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 7 months later...

I went to Ouzeri's last night on West Broadway and came away suprisingly pleased with my meal. I have generally found greek food in Vancouver to be at best - meh and at worst - truly horrible. I know that alot of people like various greek places - but for the most part it is a joke that I don't seem to get. Overthinking things perhaps.

I had the cliche calamari and roast lamb at Ouzeri's. The calmari did not have a ton of squiddy taste - but it was hot and fresh with a crisp light batter. The roast lamb was very tender with a crispy crust (as opposed to the heat lamp refugees at other places I have tried). The food had a brightness and immeadiacy that I don't recall at other greek joints.

Now - I am not saying that I was transported to the island of Lesbos (though - does'nt that sound nice...) - sitting in a cafe beside bobbing fishing boats - but it was something that I could picture going back to and enjoying again.

I can also vouch for both Kalamata (institution and consistenly good) and Ouzeri (only went once, but the stand out in the meal, by far were the appy lamb chops. Magnifico!)

I've tried maria's (both locations) and have never been overly impressed. It;s good, to be sure, but not excellent, and I always want Greek to be excellent. I felt the same way about Taki's, too, although the fortune-teller lady there is well worth what she charges (for the experience value alone, even if you aren't into that sort of thing to help you in your life choices. Although, I used to be a synic, but I;ve been taking her advice, and she's been spot on so far. But I digress).

I've been looking for truly excellent Greek for a while too (if the above didn't already make that fairly obvious). What's this Apolonia all about? And Candia?

There are so many great people here filled with so much good advice!

:cool:

~11