• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Piasan's/Piccolo's Pizza

phungi

I was recently talking with some NE Philly friends about Piasan's and Piccolo's pizza, and the famous Piccolo's "steak in a pouch." Are there similar pizza's out there? All I can think of is Pica's in Upper Darby, but their pizza is not quite the swirly sauce-above-the-cheese delight that I remember.

What say ye, eGullet pizza club?

I belch, therefore, I ate...

I'm not sure how Pic's did it cause I never had it, but Alex's pizza in my 'hood, Roxborough/Manayunk, also goes with the "sauce swirled above the cheese" style. Alex's is for real. I've always been extremely nervous about places who go with that style but Alex's pulls it off better than any that I've ever had. It the best pizza in my neighborhood and has been for years.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

a friend just told me that Maggios on 2nd Street Pike in Southampton serves Piasans/Piccolo's style pizza as well as the old Piccolo's steak-in-a-pouch. I'll have to check it out.

where are these places, so that i can sample these pizzas?  i've heard of the cheese under the sauce tradition, but i've never tried it.

This place was more of an aside, but Pica's is in Upper Darby right on Westchester Pike, just a little west of the terminal. I quite like their pizza, it's not so special that it warrants a big gourmet hoopla, but it's satisfying in a homey way. They do a square (well. rectangular) pizza with the cheese one the bottom and sauce on top.

I don't know Paisan's or Piccolo's that are the main subject of this topic.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Pica's has a square pizza, medium crust, but they use a "flat" cheese that forms a base under, but does not mix with the sauce. The two pies I spoke of had a sauce atop a more traditional grated cheese that had a uniqie texture and taste.

Piasan's was on Bustleton Ave across from George Washington High School, and Piccolo's was on Red Lion by Bustleton.

Maggios (http://www.maggiosrestaurant.com) is off 232 at 2nd Street Pike. A friend says it is as close to Piasan's and Piccolo's as you can get, but I have not been there yet.

Edited by phungi (log)