• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best American dishes?

CtznCane

NE Clam Chowder

Lobster Rolls

Stuffed Clams

Carolina BBQ'd Pork, Texas BBQ

Shrimp and Grits

Cornbread

Italian-American Cooking--check out Lidia Bastianich's book

BLT's

Patty Melt's

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chili Dogs

The Great American Breakfast and Brunch--variations!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Much as I try, I cannot stay away from this thread...

buffalo wings

blackened fish

crab Rangoon

Texas toast

Philly cheese steak

Reuben sandwich

black-eyed peas

ranch dressing

sarsaparilla

root beer

coleslaw is today more American than Dutch, no?

Edited by Laksa (log)

I was *just* thinking about something like this earlier today.  The idea of doing a dinner party with only ingredients that orginated in North America (or South America if the selection was not wide

Rats, someone else got Turkey and Maple Syrup...

Sunflower Seeds

Paw Paw

There were some native grape varieties, though, am not sure if they are still widely grown.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I was *just* thinking about something like this earlier today.  The idea of doing a dinner party with only ingredients that orginated in North America (or South America if the selection was not wide

There were some native grape varieties, though, am not sure if they are still widely grown.

Vitis labrusca... primary varities being Concord, Catwba and Delaware... Don't know if these are widely grown anymore outside of the Northeast and even there...

Nice for non-wine applications (sorbet and other desserts) although apparently good for wine in terms of providing enough biological diveristy to save European strains from disease...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

>The idea of doing a dinner party with only ingredients that orginated in North America

Don't remember if anyone mentioned Oysters and/or Mussels. Speaking of shellfish, I think Geoducks and Abalone.

Another nut would be the American Chestnut. Difficult to find, though, since most were destroyed by Chestnut Blight. I think they do have disease resistant strains now.

Most other American nuts, like Buckeyes and Acorns, require extraordinary procedures to render them edible.

Spices are going to be tricky.

Aside from Mexican Oregano (Lippia graveolens), Lemon Verbena (Alyosia tryphylla), and some mints, I just don't know of many more. Cuban Oregano (Plectranthus ambroisides) is close, if you can find it.

File Powder, I suppose, and as some have mentioned Chile Powder and Vanilla.

Sumac? Some native species are edible.

Salt is fine. Native Americans were minding the salt ponds South of San Francisco, long before Europeans arrived.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Oh my goodness, Abalone. I remember as a kid having it and it being commonplace and inexpensive. Now, I'd have to give my right .... oh well let's keep it clean, I just can't get it virtually but that is so delectable.

I'd like to throw in a word though for Wall Eye Pike. That is a wonderful fish.

May I say too that there are both the native ingredients aspect for this thread as well as the dishes which may well have ingredients which originated elsewhere.

That said, let me toss out two other favorite breakfast dishes that are American creations.

1. Egg Foo Yung

2. Hangtown Fry.

As to Hamburgers, Fries & a shake, that seems to hit the nail on the head almost for a pure American delight.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I just don't know of many more.

OK, I thought of a few more spices:

California Bay (even if it is slightly poisonous)

Allspice (If you include the Carribean)

Annato

While you can't include Taro, you can include Malanga (Xanthasoma spp.), another Aroid or Elephant Ear. It is originally from tropical America. You could also include Cassava (Yucca, tapioca), if you were including South or tropical America.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Olestra  :blink:  I dont know if this is making the list.or maybe i might be going with astronaut ice cream..[...]

Gosh, if you're including that, why not Tang while you're at it? :wacko:

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm southern, and like southern food the best in general, but I think I've got to say lobster rolls from New England. Maybe it's an underexposure thing and I wouldn't be so hyped about them if I could eat them all the time, but I daydream about eating those things.