• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cauliflower

Regular AP flour? Does the cauliflower have to be deep fried? I was thinking it had a similar taste to the roasted caulflower Jim Dixon made popular on this site. So, I thought it would be an acceptable variation to break up the head into florets, marinate as you describe, maybe adding a little oil to encourage crispiness, roast at high heat until lightly browned, then stirfry, etc., as described above. Besides saving the calories, I just hate the mess and smell of deep frying things at home. Opinions?

Regular AP flour? Does the cauliflower have to be deep fried? I was thinking it had a similar taste to the roasted caulflower Jim Dixon made popular on this site. So, I thought it would be an acceptable variation to break up the head into florets, marinate as you describe, maybe adding a little oil to encourage crispiness, roast at high heat until lightly browned, then stirfry, etc., as described above. Besides saving the calories, I just hate the mess and smell of deep frying things at home. Opinions?

Roasting nicely to desired and acceptable results does not always save calories.:shock:

In fact it can add to calories... For the foods being roasted sit in even the most small amount of oil for a long time. They are able to get greasier.. and there goes the save calorie thought...

But if you deep fry at a high temperature and correctly, you are flash frying and as you drain on paper towels, you will get great results using less calories.

But if you deep fry incorrectly and at low temperatures, you certainly will get greasy and overly fatty stuff.

So now, you can choose to do what you want to.

If your kitchen has good ventilation and if you use good oil.. and deep fry with care... you should have no problems with odor. In fact it will be no problem at all. Maybe I can come give you a lesson on deep frying in your new kitchen.. I would love doing that if you want to learn.. you may know the art of deep frying already.. in which case I am a fool... to have posted this.

But I deep fry a lot.. and calories have never been an issue. Also when teaching at the school... I have worked with dieticians and nutritionists and it is a grey zone many do not know how to explain.

It should be about technique and perfection.. However you achieve both, it is your call. The recipe is yours to play with. Do invite me for a tasting when you make these cauliflower's... I love them. :smile:

I doubt I'll be making it very soon, but when you do make it out to the house I will definitely take you up on the cooking lesson offer. I deep fry occasionally, usually using a wok as the cooking vessel. Some things I have down pat - I make great corn (and zucchini and apple) fritters, a technique which would translate well into various chaat. But mostly straight veggie preparation is harder for me for some reason. Those following our remodel will realize that I probably do have adequate ventilation at this point, so the lesson would be welcome.

I thought you had adequate ventilation... Maybe we can give an eGullet Deep Frying demo in your kitchen.

We can come up with several recipes to demo and savor and write about later...

Would be a fun thing.. But I like Steve Klc, love all things deep fried... :smile: I may be the wrong person to trust on this one. :rolleyes:

I was thinking it had a similar taste to the roasted caulflower Jim Dixon made popular on this site.

I tried this recipe for the first time last night and it made a believer out of me! If you have not tried it, go and buy some cauliflower tonight. It couldnt be easier.

Here is my result!

fd04b8e1.jpg

Edited by Schielke (log)

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I thought you had adequate ventilation... Maybe we can give an eGullet Deep Frying demo in your kitchen.

We can come up with several recipes to demo and savor and write about later...

Would be a fun thing.. But I like Steve Klc, love all things deep fried... :smile: I may be the wrong person to trust on this one. :rolleyes:

I would love to see that. How about a streaming web show with suvir and hot oil! hehehe

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

• 1 year later...

Many here seem to like the Roasted Cauliflower :wub: version. Some have posted alternative methods of using cauliflower in that discussion, as well (see the later pages for the cauliflower, red onion and chickpeas suggestion, for example).

edited to clarify

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

you mean i've got to read through 6 whole pages?

I know what you mean.

Here at eGullet, my lips get sore from reading so much :laugh: (sorry for the old joke).

You think six pages is bad, try reading the "Dinner!" thread from page 1...oy!

You can probably zip through many of the posts in that cauliflower thread since there's a lot of "I thought you guys were crazy until I tried it for myself" kind of posts.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

you mean i've got to read through 6 whole pages?

either that, or everyone re-types what they said over there for your benefit. :wink:

conversely, you can change the default for "posts per page" on your control panel and probably get it down to 3 pages. if that makes you feel any better. :biggrin:

Edited by tommy (log)

If this appears in the thousands of words already written here on the subject, my apologies.

For those on a low-carb diet, cauliflower steamed to tender and then processed with butter or olive oil makes a very acceptible substitute for puréed potato, either on its own or in recipes such as shepherd's pie. (Well, I think it is, and I'm the one in our household who has to eat it.)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

i grew up hating cauliflower--strange behavior for a bengali with a mother who is an excellent cook. i was converted by the mind-boggling tandoori cauliflower at bukhara in the maurya sheraton in new delhi. the head is dusted with a spice blend and roasted whole in the tandoor.

still i treated cauliflower with suspicion for a long time after that--exceptions prove the rule and all that. on our recent trip back home, however, my wife--visiting india for the first time--got to eat home-made bengali cauliflower dishes for the first time and it was made clear that i'd need to add it to the repertoire. i've been experimenting with 2 or 3 recipes from my mother since then--even destroyed one prep with a horrible mistake last night. i had no idea that it featured prominently in cuisines other than indian.