• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Classic French Crème Brulée - The Topic

tan319

I

The only way I can describe the flavor is "Burnt Sour".  Disgusting.  It's been 15 minutes, I only took 2 bites, and I still can't get the taste out of the back of my mouth.

Don't ever try this.  Just don't.

JLam..... this looks like a contender for my "Worst thing you've had in your mouth 2006" thread. Unless you've had the misfortune of tasting something WORSE this year

If only I'd worn looser pants....

• 2 weeks later...

What is the best kind or most common type of ramekin to use for creme brulee? My local store has a short and wide ramekin that it actually calls creme brulee ramekin or standard white ones that you often see used for souffles (but smaller)in various sizes (these are taller and narrow). I have come across recipes that use various sizes - 3 oz up to 6 oz sizes. Is there a common size?

• 1 month later...

I just tried to make the caramel topping on the creme brulee, but as I use the blow torch the sugar forms beads of melting sugar, which then burns. This is my second attempt and I don't understand why I am getting beads of melting sugar instead of the whole topping just melting. I've used plain sugar and I've used Cook's Illustrated version of using brown and white sugar which have been ground fine. I haven't used the Turbinado sugar yet.

Okay I just tried some Turbinado sugar in a small bowl and the same thing happens - I just get beads of sugar.

Edited by oli (log)

Just and idea , sorry I dont use blow torch so cant be too sure about it.

It is possible that you are keeping the blow torch too close without rotating the rameken , keeping the flame in the same spot for too long?

I think I recall one Alton Brown episode on creme brulee and he used the blow torch in that matter, in one hand the rameken ( with glove on that hand of course) and as he was caramelising the sugar he was roatating the remeken in his hand at a certain angle.Ahh as usually my explanations arent too clear, well hopefully soemone will pitch in soon.Good luck.

Vanessa

I just tried to make the carmel topping on the creme brulee, but as I use the blow torch the sugar forms beads of melting sugar, which then burns.  This is my second attempt and I don't understand why I am getting beads of melting sugar instead of the whole topping just melting. I've used plain sugar and  I've used Cook's Illustrated version of using brown and white sugar which have been ground fine.  I haven't used the Turbinado sugar yet.

Okay I just tried some Turbinado sugar in a small bowl and the same thing happens -  I just get beads of sugar.

I find the sugar usually beads as it melts. Try a thicker layer of sugar (I like the turbinado), hold blow torch a little further away, and rotate as Vanessa says.

I just tried to make the carmel topping on the creme brulee, but as I use the blow torch the sugar forms beads of melting sugar, which then burns.  This is my second attempt and I don't understand why I am getting beads of melting sugar instead of the whole topping just melting. I've used plain sugar and  I've used Cook's Illustrated version of using brown and white sugar which have been ground fine.  I haven't used the Turbinado sugar yet.

Okay I just tried some Turbinado sugar in a small bowl and the same thing happens -  I just get beads of sugar.

I find the sugar usually beads as it melts. Try a thicker layer of sugar (I like the turbinado), hold blow torch a little further away, and rotate as Vanessa says.

I saw the Alton episode and remember it well, just because I am so focused on this problem. I did rotate it and waved the torch so that I wouldn't sit in any one spot too long and start burning. Could it be I have too much sugar and that I have beads of sugar forming and rolling down and around because there is still untorched sugar below?

I saw the Alton episode and remember it well, just because I am so focused on this problem. I did rotate it and waved the torch so that I wouldn't sit in any one spot too long and start burning. Could it be I have too much sugar and that I have beads of sugar forming and rolling down and around because there is still untorched sugar below?

i start with a thin layer of sugar (enough to stick to the top of the brulee, shaking off the excess). i caramelize the thin layer and then sprinkle more sugar on top of that and then caramelize the additional sugar. tends to work pretty well. easier to demonstrate than to describe. having worked in restaurants, i've probably bruleed several thousand creme brulees (at least).

I just tried to make the carmel topping on the creme brulee, but as I use the blow torch the sugar forms beads of melting sugar, which then burns. This is my second attempt and I don't understand why I am

i start with a thin layer of sugar (enough to stick to the top of the brulee, shaking off the excess). i caramelize the thin layer and then sprinkle more sugar on top of that and then caramelize the additional sugar. tends to work pretty well. easier to demonstrate than to describe. having worked in restaurants, i've probably bruleed several thousand creme brulees (at least).

I have a gut feeling that I am trying to melt too much sugar. I haven't been shaking out the excess. You're suggestion of doing layers will be my next approach.

Thanks

Many of the creme brulee recipes I've seen call for brown sugar of one sort or another. Demerara or Muscovado seem to ball up and burn before they melt, at least for me.

Eventually I did a little "science experiment" with a foil lined tray and little mounds of different sugars, ground to different textures.

Hands down, the best 'brulee top' result was plain white granulated. By far! Easy melting, golden result, and good control over degree of caramelisation. I'd be the first to admit that I have no baking credentials, so take the information for what it is worth.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to have creme brulee on my retail line, and my boss does not like the idea of baking them in the aluminium remakin. He thinks it looks unfinished... basically, he doesn't want to have anything to do with aluminium stuff... so I thought of an idea of making the creme brulee in fleximold, freeze and unmold it into a pastry shell... then caramelize the top... so you will see the custard floating on top on the shell... I have seen it done in some cookbooks, but I have tried a few formulas with no great success...

the custard turns out not firm enough, it's not ozeey, just a little lose, and I'm sure I cook them long enough...

this is the formula I use...

225g heavy cream

150g milk

82.5g sugar

90g yolks

1 vanilla bean

Bake in water bath @ 350F

I was thinking about maybe adding some whites into the mixture or maybe more yolks?

Just wondering if any of you have experience with this and any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

Although I never tried it in a flexipan I used to make this recipe in a hotel pan and cut out squares of it to sit on top of a napoleon. Here's the recipe:

cream- 10 cups

sugar-18 oz

yolks- 20 oz

vanilla bean- 2

vanilla extract- 2 Tbsp

Bake at 200 no water bath until done.

You could also try a stovetop brulee and then just pour it into the shells, might be easier. Hope this helps.

I have seen a few recipes that created a sturdy version of the custard to cut into sheets for use in napoleans and as components of composed desserts. I believe the recipes included cornstarch. If you have a background in food chemicals, I would suggest experimenting with Methylcellulose food gums, which will set at higher temperatures, and at lower temperatures, they will allow your product to have a looser and creamier mouth-feel.

I have seen a few recipes that created a sturdy version of the custard to cut into sheets for use in napoleans and as components of composed desserts.  I believe the recipes included cornstarch.  If you have a background in food chemicals, I would suggest experimenting with Methylcellulose food gums, which will set at higher temperatures, and at lower temperatures, they will allow your product to have a looser and creamier mouth-feel.

There's no need fo any of that. A properly cooked creme brulee ought to be able to hold a shape at higher than fridge temp. Obviously it'll need to be frozen and cut/unmolded, then and set in a shell or on a base so you never have to handle it once its thawed.

I have seen a few recipes that created a sturdy version of the custard to cut into sheets for use in napoleans and as components of composed desserts.  I believe the recipes included cornstarch.  If you have a background in food chemicals, I would suggest experimenting with Methylcellulose food gums, which will set at higher temperatures, and at lower temperatures, they will allow your product to have a looser and creamier mouth-feel.

There's no need fo any of that. A properly cooked creme brulee ought to be able to hold a shape at higher than fridge temp. Obviously it'll need to be frozen and cut/unmolded, then and set in a shell or on a base so you never have to handle it once its thawed.

I second that.

I have actually done this many times. I have worked under pastry chefs that told me it couldn't be done, then low and behold I have extracted a 10x2" creme brulee that holds itself just fine.

Just off the top of my head, I think the ratio is

1 qt heavy cream

9 large egg yolks

6 oz sugar

bake it, cool it, freeze it, extract it and allow it to come up to the proper holding temperature.

I do suggest that if you are going to be using it for "retail" an these will be sitting exposed to air that you cover them in some way. If you caramelize them the sugar will turn to syrup within a the first 30 minutes. You can easily spray them with chocolate and that will help hold them significantly longer, and just put some bubble sugar with them or something.

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

• 4 months later...

Just a question of baking method for creme brulee.

Conventional oven: it is possible to bake at 210F with no water bath? or should it always be baked in a water bath?

Convection oven: no water bath at 300F. can you bake with water bath? will water bath in convection do harm or it is just not necessary?

Just a general question on water bath... does it matter what temp your oven is when you bake with a water bath. I have seen recipe having ovens at 300F, 325F 350F, even 375F. I understand that using a water bath is to regulate temperature for even bake, so that the temperature of your product would not exceed boiling point.

Thank you very much!

Edited by Qui (log)

Hi Qui,

I've only made creme brulees once-- Pierre Herme's recipe (Triple Creme off the Chocolate Desserts book). I used a regular oven set at 100 degrees celsius without a water bath (as the recipe directed) and they set with no problem.

As for your other questions, you make good points! I'll let the experts answer, though :smile:

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

I make creme brulee often, and after having tried several methods and temps, I've settled on a 325 regular oven with water bath. Using a convection oven, the fan tended to blow the custard around water bath or no.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 5 months later...

After reading this whole merged thread to this point...

I tried the Le Cirque recipe mentioned earlier in this thread last night. Found it very rich for my taste and it left substantial fatty residual on my tongue so will be attempting a '3/4 to 1/4' or '1/2 to 1/2' heavy cream and milk combo as I can't get half-and-half where I live in Australia. I'm assuming that to hold its texture with less cream fat content it'll need more yolks. So I'll add a couple. And more sugar - I found it too close to untreated cream for a straight dessert on its own. Perhaps Le Cirque regularly use other infusions and plating options that add to the overall flavour experience?

I used the "quarter-size" wobble in the middle as my test point (took 1 hr 30 minutes to cook in taller ramekins), and they refrigerated overnight with fabulous texture by morning.

I was surprised at the uniformity of the set in each ramekin particularly given the hot-spots in my domestic gas oven, which I attribute to nightscotsman's 1/8th inch waterbath 'heat-sink' concept which worked beautifully.

I used foil lightly over the batch, however I will individually put foil over the next batch as I found the tops that were closer to the very loose edges of foil in my hot-spots in the gas oven started to bubble (although the texture underneath was perfect).

I used everyones bubble-reduction ideas with the exception of the blow torch and the bang on the bench.

So thanks. I'm going to attempt the next trial batch.

I used foil lightly over the batch, however I will individually put foil over the next batch as I found the tops that were closer to the very loose edges of foil in my hot-spots in the gas oven started to bubble (although the texture underneath was perfect).

Do you mean that you will individually wrap each ramekin? I think you'd be better served making sure you have a tight seal over the entire pan. The purpose of the water bath is to control the temperature and moist environment around your brulees. I think that covering each ramekin would defeat the purpose. But, hey, I've been wrong before! :smile:

Trial Batch 2

Comments: This modified recipe too eggy-custard-like in flavour rather than 'creme'. Using extract as a cheaper version while I'm experimenting with textures. Too much extract - added to custard-like flavour.

Modified recipe:

6 yolks (will try with 5 next batch) from 69g free-range eggs

¼ cup caster sugar

2tsp vanilla extract (will try with 1 1/2 tsp next batch)

250ml cream

250ml milk

Put the tempered strained mix back into the saucepan and brought to 75*C. (This decreased the baking time by more than half!)

Zapped the remaining bubbles after straining/skimming with domestic gas lighter. Wow. It worked beautifully!

Water-bathed 1/8th inch at 160*C in domestic gas oven with foil over each individual ramekin top, slightly vented at the side for 40 minutes. Set beautifully to 'jello' level evenly across the ramekin. Found that the one that was better sealed had a beautiful result.

Have yet to taste+texture test final refrigerated version including checking surface thickness. Alanamoana: I may need to completely foil-cover the pan for moisture, but as I only have 1/2 inch high pans to work with, it was a little tricky to try whilst handling boiling water in a shallow pan. I'll have to get a deep roasting pan. On my wishlist at the sales after Xmas!

Am I being a perfectionist? Probably. :rolleyes:

Edited by Intellidepth (log)

Have yet to taste+texture test final refrigerated version including checking surface thickness. Alanamoana: I may need to completely foil-cover the pan for moisture, but as I only have 1/2 inch high pans to work with, it was a little tricky to try whilst handling boiling water in a shallow pan. I'll have to get a deep roasting pan. On my wishlist at the sales after Xmas!

Am I being a perfectionist? Probably. :rolleyes:

i don't know how easy they are to find in australia, but in restaurants we use 'hotel pans' to bake brulees in. cheaper than roasting pans and useful for many things. you can get them at restaurant supply places.

edited to add: no problem with being a perfectionist! have fun with it and know that you save us lazy people a lot of time when we use your methods that have already been tested :raz:

Edited by alanamoana (log)

Batch 2 taste and texture

Yum - 3 1/2 year old son and I polished them off. However it was like a light, smooth sweet custard.

Batch 3 - ohhh dear.

Nope. Still tastes like custard and sets like custard - too set for a 'creme' for my tongue and I think if I reduce the eggs back by 1 in this 50/50 mixture it might be too close to a liquid to brulee.

I'll have to try 3/4 cream and 1/4 milk for 'creme' texture. Back to 1tsp vanilla extract as I am now fairly confident the increased sugar is heightening its flavour somehow. Back to 4 eggs/500ml dairy to remove eggy-custard flavour.

Stuck the batch in a higher pre-heated oven and was quicker about things so it curdled ever so slightly around the edges. EDIT: it curdled all the way through on most.

Tried bruleeing with my domestic gas lighter HAH! Off to buy a proper torch.

Edited by Intellidepth (log)

Batch 4 was not a success using the same recipe as batch 5, which was - I just used a different cooking technique.

I went back to a long bake (not re-heating the tempered mix in a saucepan prior to baking) after reading material elsewhere on the change in texture that occurs with the same batch recipe over a short and long bake.

Longer=creamier. Reheated+Shorter=more fragile and more likely to overcook (yeah, I can vouch for that, Batches 3+4, although I got it close to spot on with Batch 2).

I gave Batch 5 a dual attempt - one with a half-height bath and foil over the whole container and the other with a 1/8th inch bath and ramekins individually foil sealed. After 60 minutes the half-height bath lot was a complete ruin with thoroughly scrambled egg and a whey underlayer. The 1/8th inch batch was a creamy success!

I'll reduce the cook time to 50 minutes for Batch 6 as there was an ever so slightly overcooked top edge that I wasn't happy with. The perfectionist in me again.

After Batch 6 I think I'll just pack it in. After eating 'creme' for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I've about had my dose for the next six months! Not to mention the three dozen egg whites sitting in my fridge... :wink: