• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Half-bagel vandalism

Guilty, guilty, guilty. I can't eat a whole bagel at once, so if I don't cut it half I either have to go without entirely or throw the other half away. You see my dilemma, right?

But I do it cross-wise, such that there's less cut surface exposed and the recipient of the remaining half still has both an intact bottom and an intact top to treat as he will.

Turns out there's very little problem with the remaining half bagel in any case---it's snarfed up immediately by one of my co-workers.

Can you pee in the ocean?

JUST ONE SECOND ! What is someone supposed to do if your living in "Bagel" purgatory such as Seattle. We who are living in this desolate Bagel Hell are forced to deal with:

[1] Bagels that are not baked adequately, almost colorless without any browning.

[2] Bagels that are only covered on the top side with whatever toppings are used such as Poppy seeds, Sesame, or anything else.

[3] Bagels that are delivered and kept frozen then baked by the 1/2 dozen in a Convection Oven and put on display for self service in Bakery sections of Markets.

What could one do if they want something close to the real thing but what I am forced to do by this inedible situation.

I almost always must cut the Bagels in Half since it requires in my NYC palette that both sides of my Bagel are properly coated with my exterior preference. It's true that sometimes by choice I will have a Sesame top with a Poppyseed bottom, but I also choose to do this even when visiting the "Big Apple" permitted since I am capable of eating both Bagels at one sitting.

Irwin :wub::laugh:

My solution to alleviate my guilt in Seattle is to share my Bagels with a partner who only eats Plain Bagels being a purist. I get the tops, she always covets the bottoms. Is this approved ?

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

And while we're bemoaning these half-bagel schnooks, what about people (you've all seen and heard them while waiting on line at the deli) who order bagel sandwiches of whatever sort with the insides taken out!! You think bagel-halvers are closet serial killers? They're nothing compared to these folks, eviscerating a perfectly innocent bagel before they've even tasted it. It breaks the heart, I tell ya. And where do those bagel-insides go? Straight to the trash. Oy!

JUST ONE SECOND ! What is someone supposed to do if your living in "Bagel" purgatory such as Seattle.

You do what I did when I lived in Seattle--you get your Manhattan-based blood relatives to ship you care packages. :biggrin:

mizducky:

After living in Seattle 15 years it gets tired, but I agree must be done sometimes. I don't enjoy day old $3.00 Bagels but it's something I need a fix only combined with a order from "Russ & Daughters", or "Zabars" etc becomes a investment.

I'm sure that most will agree consolidated with Appetizing, or Deli Treats makes sending Bagels worthwhile. I do get in trouble when I require NYC Corn Bread, Pumpernickel, Bialy's, Seeded Rye, Ruggalah, Babbka and Knishes as it's becoming more difficult to find these items.

Irwin :blink::unsure:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

After living in Seattle 15 years it gets tired, but I agree must be done sometimes. I don't enjoy day old $3.00 Bagels but it's something I need a fix only combined with a order from "Russ & Daughters", or "Zabars" etc becomes a investment.

$3.00 bagels?!?!? :blink:

V

I sense that this problem has been aggravated, at least in part, by Creeping Bagel Growth Syndrome.

Caveat: I have been told by my Jewish friends that we live in the Land of the Pseudobagel, and that if I haven't had a bagel made in New York (or at least a location considerably east of Kansas), I haven't actually had a bagel. Apparently these pseudobagels are passed off in the Midwest as actual bagels. But I wouldn't know, since I seldom leave home and the closest thing I have had to an actual bagel is one purchased in a local shop called the New York Bagel Company, now defunct, locally at least.

Having made the aforementioned disclaimer, I would like to point out that locally, bagels are growing. Currently, the only edible bagels or pseudobagels, as the case may be, are found at Panera, and those suckers are huge. The (pseudo)bagels of my youth were nowhere near the size of the Panera bagels. This phenomenon, coupled with Creeping Fanny Girth Syndrome and Balloon Thigh Syndrome, often leads to incidents involving bagel halving.

Local authorities were investigating, but then they figured out who our serial killer is, and we've kinda forgotten about everything else. In about a year, the investigation will likely recommence.

I am so totally guilty of this. I feel better leaving the crumbs of the bottom bagel for someone else than just pitching the thing.

I only do this with free bagels that my fat corporate employer has paid for, though.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

who wants to put blueberry cream cheese on an onion bialy? It's just bagels people!

Blueberry cream cheese ?!?

Good God, woman... Get thee to a nunery !

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

This sounds more like a social problem to me. Maybe it's because I work without the benefit of co-workers or maybe its because I don't mind a slightly stale half-bagel bathed in butter and pan-fried or pannini-grilled.

Bode

Hahaha, this is too funny...

It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine only eats the top half of the muffins, tells the guy she knows of her idea, and he opens "Top o' the muffin" store and she freaks...

I must admit though, most times I will easily eat the whole bagel (MMmmm warm Grifes bagels) but when I only want half, its ALWAYS the bottom...this bakery's bagels have a CRISP bottom, dont know how they do it, but its soooooo good.

My favorite bagels in southern California are found at Brooklyn Bagel Bakery.

I first met the two guys who started it in 1960 and have been making the trek down to L.A. a few times a year even since.

They are the best, in my opinion and I have tried the bagels in a lot of places.

They have added the ones with non-traditional additives to the line to remain competitive but when I first knew them they had plain, egg and pumpernickle.... Bialys came with salt and onion or salt and seeds and that was it.

They are good for one day only, meant to be consumed within hours, if not minutes of finishing. They are made the way bagles are supposed to be made. I had a tour of the bakery back in the early '60s, which was the first time I had seen bagles prepared. It was a revelation. I had gone to baking school but we never touched on bagels.

I have a friend (non eG) who lives in Palo Alto and when I have visited her, she gets bagels at Izzy's on California Avenue, two blocks from her home. They are also excellent. They are the traditional size (no wider than my palm) and also do not keep beyond a few hours. As I recall, they are strictly kosher.

I do not like the huge, soft bagels that do not have the substance of the real bagel. Cutting into one with loose crumb and a porus texture is not my idea of perfection.

Close, fine crumb with no bubbles is my ideal.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

. . .I do not like the huge, soft bagels that do not have the substance of the real bagel.  Cutting into one with loose crumb and a porus texture is not my idea of perfection. 

Close, fine crumb with no bubbles is my ideal.

The worst bagel I've ever had, I bought at a local grocery a couple of weeks ago. They had obviously taken their regular white bread recipe, shaped it somewhat bagel-like, baked it, and passed it off as a bagel. Absolutely horrible.

Its somewhat okay to be a bagel and a halfer IF you can find a willing partner to take the other half . . .

Ah, faint redemption. With two perpetually hungry men in my household, a halved bagel is a treat one step closer to consumption.

I can't stand the blueberry bagels we find in our market. I swear, those are not real blueberries. They are some kind of rejected, inferior raisin permeated with blueberry essence, and when the Kid toasts them, the aroma makes me gag. I tried to stop buying them, but if He only finds real, dense bagels topped with poppy seeds, onion and salt, He's grossed out.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

you totally destroy most of its bagel-like qualities and most people would never bother to pick up a bagel quarter,

"Bagel like qualities"

Definition please. :laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

bagel

round

hard exterior

soft interior

toppings vary wildly

contents vary wildly

stuffings vary wildly

does not bounce

doughnut

round

soft exterior

soft interior

toppings vary wildly

contents vary wildly

very rarely stuffed or spread

does not bounce

:raz:

Soba

A tragedy that I suspect is somewhat related to the decline in bagel quality is the ubiquitousness of pre-sliced lox. Can't anybody use a salmon knife any more? Pre-sliced lox is too thick, dries out quickly and just looks wrong drapped over a red onion and dotted with capers. I think one of the Kashruth councils needs to step in and put an end to this suspect practice, before it spreads to the bagels themselves.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

bagel 

round

hard exterior

soft interior

toppings vary wildly

contents vary wildly

stuffings vary wildly

does not bounce

you forgot chewy.. they should be chewy

and yer all crazy

And then there's the flagel - which is a bagel which is just crust. No doughy center.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

And then there's the flagel - which is a bagel which is just crust.  No doughy center.

I'm actually okay with the flagel, because it makes a good medium for panini-like sandwiches. But its a different animal entirely, and I treat it somewhat like I do a bialy.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host