• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sackville

Rack of pork

Thanks for that Mario recipe recommendation, Robert (and for the link, c oliver). Looks delicious - and I may try it soon myself. Fennel and pork are a match made in heaven in my opinion.

I think it a shame though that Mario would have us throw out the 'ribs' (presumably he means 'stalks'). I won't follow that step unless I am being extremely lazy or feeling very rich that day.

I don't read that as throw them out.  But rather to carve the meat off...and then come back and chew on the ribs :)

Great timing on this thread; I just bought a rack of pork today (at Costco, too!) to make for my husband's birthday this week. The Mario Batali recipe sounds great, however my husband hates fennel. Any thoughts on whether I should just omit the fennel and fennel pollen in the recipe, or should I replace them with something else?

I don't read that as throw them out.  But rather to carve the meat off...and then come back and chew on the ribs :)

I rather think he means the fennel ribs not the pork ribs.

• Like 1

I rather think he means the fennel ribs not the pork ribs.

Makes sense :)

I wound up making a rub of fresh and drying rosemary, sage, oregano, garlic, s&p.  Made a few slashes in the fat, drizzled with oo, applied the rub and then seared fat side down in a CI skillet.  Turned it over and roasted in a 425 oven for ten minutes, then reduced to 225.  I think it was ready in about an hour.  I pulled it at 145, next time I'll do at 140 or less.  It had some pink but I'd prefer more.  Forgot to take a picture.  Thanks all.

• Like 2