• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rack of pork

Sackville

Thanks for that Mario recipe recommendation, Robert (and for the link, c oliver). Looks delicious - and I may try it soon myself. Fennel and pork are a match made in heaven in my opinion.

I think it a shame though that Mario would have us throw out the 'ribs' (presumably he means 'stalks'). I won't follow that step unless I am being extremely lazy or feeling very rich that day.

Great timing on this thread; I just bought a rack of pork today (at Costco, too!) to make for my husband's birthday this week. The Mario Batali recipe sounds great, however my husband hates fennel. Any thoughts on whether I should just omit the fennel and fennel pollen in the recipe, or should I replace them with something else?

I don't read that as throw them out.  But rather to carve the meat off...and then come back and chew on the ribs :)

I rather think he means the fennel ribs not the pork ribs.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I rather think he means the fennel ribs not the pork ribs.

Makes sense :)

I wound up making a rub of fresh and drying rosemary, sage, oregano, garlic, s&p.  Made a few slashes in the fat, drizzled with oo, applied the rub and then seared fat side down in a CI skillet.  Turned it over and roasted in a 425 oven for ten minutes, then reduced to 225.  I think it was ready in about an hour.  I pulled it at 145, next time I'll do at 140 or less.  It had some pink but I'd prefer more.  Forgot to take a picture.  Thanks all.

• Like 2