• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gelato, sorbets, ice cream

torakris

Last week I made my first visit to a Yogen Fruz shop. This was really good and I liked how I was able to pick whatever ingredients I wanted and they mixed it into a frozen yogurt or smoothie right in front of you.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I am not sure why they are opening in November... but Cold Stone Creamery is coming to Japan!

The first store will open in Roppongi Hills on 11/3.

Oh boy... I wonder how overpriced it will be in Japan.

Don't get me wrong, I like Coldstone Creamery, but it's so expensive that I don't go often.

Cheryl

I think I might have the sameone Helen does, it looks like this.

I have the same problem in the summer, it doesn't matter how long I freeze it, it is just too soft...  I also hate the fact that it has to put in the freezer for 8+ hours, I don't often plan ahead for that kind of stuff. the othr problem is that most of te recipes I have for it call for fresh cream and it is just so expensive here...  I do have a really good peach ice cream recipe that is made with milk, maybe I will do that one again, my freezer is pretty empty now too.

I've got a similar problem with the planning ahead part, so I tend to just leave one of the containers in my freezer all the time. I also came up with alternatives to cream because of the calories rather than the cost! Here's some of the workarounds I've used when rewriting ice cream recipes to use less cream:

--Skim milk plus powdered milk (makes it thicker and creamier)

--Sweetened condensed milk (substitutes for both cream and sugar at once)

--Plain or vanilla yogurt

--Adding a packet of unflavored gelatin

--Adding some Dream Whip (the stuff that comes powdered in packets and when you add skim milk and beat it, it turns into pseudo-whipped cream -- this is also good for adding flavorings to; putting a bit of rum flavoring and some pineapple juice in with it turns out a pretty tasty pina colada-style ice cream...)

I've also done a string of really easy sherbets and sorbets by starting with a can of frozen juice concentrate (orange, lemon, lime, strawberry-daiquiri mix, etc...) and adding either whipped egg whites (reconstituted from dry to avoid salmonella) or one or more of the above dairy options to the mix.

I think one of my favorite easy recipes was basically a honeydew melon that went through the blender, some corn syrup and sugar as antifreeze, a cup of milk, and a tablespoon of lime juice. After freezing it turned out like a granita, and when I flaked and fluffed it up, it was really light and crisp and sweet...

• 1 year later...
On May 9, Baskin Robbins (called simply 31 here) is offering a Free Scoop Night with proceeds going to unicef.

I remember the first free scoop night I saw. I was on my way to the gym, and there was a HUGE line in front of the B&R, and it hadn't even started, yet.

My reading is limited, but is it a free ice cream cone, or do you pay for one scoop and get one free? And it says it's for two hours in the evening, but not which two hours. Do you just go any time and take your chances?

I've got a teachers meeting that evening, and those don't usually end till 6 or later, but just in case I can get out early...!

• 1 year later...

I know it is nearing the end of October but I want you to stop everything you are doing and get out to the nearest supermarket/convenience store right NOW!

Haagen Dazs has just put a new desert that you must try. It is called Gateau au Chocolat and is a combination of ice cream, chocolate gateau and cream.

I didn't think to take any pictures but this person did.

I don't care for rich ice cream. All my family, especially my son, are hooked on this particular brand. It is called shiro kuma (lit. white bear), and is a specialty of Kyushu. It's a lacto ice with pinapple, yellow peach, and azuki beans in it. You may not believe it, but it's very good!

I bought a wee carton of the Gateau au Chocolat yesterday. It was a wee bit soft by the time I got home from the grocery store, but OMG it was good. I don't even particularly care for ice cream or chocolate (I can take them or leave them), but I was very glad it didn't come in larger containers. It's one of the few flavours of which I could see myself finishing a whole pint. It's rich, but not too rich, not too sweet (they use bittersweet chocolate, I think), and dense, but not rock hard.

I had ordered it from from co-op so I didn't see the size and was a little surprised by how small it was. After eating it and discovering how rich it was I think the size was perfect. I had no idea that it actually contained cake, when I ordered it I just assumed it was a rich chocolate flavor...

If I weigh 200lbs the next time you see me you will now know the reason.... I think I am addicted. :blink:

• 1 month later...

I've been lurking for some time, but actually signed up to post about this.

I was in Japan for a brief trip recently and looked for the Gateau au Chocolat on my first night here. I didn't have any, though, because I found another specialty flavor that stopped me in my tracks - Mont Blanc!

If you like Mont Blanc pastries, you must try this one.

Picture here: http://japaneseicecream.blogspot.com/searc...el/haagen%20daz