• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brunch Options

DrewTr

To cap off a GREAT weekend visiting DC, with the weather being fabulous and the Cherry blossoms at their peak, we werre looking for a Sunday brunch place in DC. We had parked near the Foggy Bottom Metro stop and ventured off to the mall by Metro very early in the AM. We got back to the car at 1:30 and were famished. We drove by Dupont Circle, and waiting for a light on New Hampshire Ave before the circle, spotted a nice-looking sidewalk restaurant (Can't remember the name!!) but finding a parking spot was not possible, even after driving around for 15 mins.

We continued on to Adams Morgan, and waited for an angle spot onm 18th st, and got one after about 8 minutes waiting. We wound up at La Fourchette, a very nice place for brunch. Great omelettes, and REALLY great home fries. Lovely family from Cannes, France runs the place. A good choice, if only by accident.

One question: I noticed, from perusing several brunch menus in DC, that they never seem to include a drink. Here in the NY metro, it is pro forma to include a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa as part of a brunch price. Does that rarely happen in a DC brunch?

P.S. Anyone know the name of that place right near Dupont Circle on NH Ave? Did we miss anything by not going there?

P.S. Anyone know the name of that place right near Dupont Circle on NH Ave?  Did we miss anything by not going there?

I you were below DuPont, it might have been Firefly, right next to the Hotel Madera. On the left as you are headed towards the circle. Since the weather was so nice, I expect they were in full outdoor mode. Pretty good brunch, nice selection of champagne cocktails.

P.S. Anyone know the name of that place right near Dupont Circle on NH Ave?  Did we miss anything by not going there?

I you were below DuPont, it might have been Firefly, right next to the Hotel Madera. On the left as you are headed towards the circle. Since the weather was so nice, I expect they were in full outdoor mode. Pretty good brunch, nice selection of champagne cocktails.

No, it was on the right side, we were about 150 yards before the circle on NH Ave coming up a slight hill, coming from Foggy Bottom.

No, it was on the right side, we were about 150 yards before the circle on NH Ave coming up a slight hill, coming from Foggy Bottom.

If it was the Front Page, you didn't miss anything.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

If it was the Front Page, you didn't miss anything.

Yes, that was it. Guess it's good that there was no parking! La Fourchette was quite good, as I said above...

One question: I noticed, from perusing several brunch menus in DC, that they never seem to include a drink. Here in the NY metro, it is pro forma to include a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa as part of a brunch price. Does that rarely happen in a DC brunch?

Anyone have a comment about this?

That was not my experience in NYC (that drinks were always included).

Around the corner from where I lived in Greenwich Village, there was a strip of places on Bleecker that offered a free drink, however it was often because their food was, shall we say, bad. These places targeted NYU students, their visiting parents and tourists.

That was not my experience in NYC (that drinks were always included). 

Around the corner from where I lived in Greenwich Village, there was a strip of places on Bleecker that offered a free drink, however it was often because their food was, shall we say, bad.  These places targeted NYU students, their visiting parents and tourists.

Of course, nothing is ever ALWAYS, but in New York and environs where I live, restaurants that do brunch USUALLY offer a Bloody Mary or Mimosa included with the brunch entree. If I gave a percentage, I would say it's over 90% that offer the drink included.