• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brunch Options

DrewTr

My wife & I really like the brunch at Colorado Kitchen, a place where the eggs have always been cooked as ordered, the home fries crispy & well seasoned, the doughnuts delicious, & the price right. Are there any other suggestions out there for a good alternate, preferably in the city limits?

Thanks,

Drew

Drew Trautmann

Executive Chef

Mendocino Grille

I enjoy brunch at Bistro Bis. It's serene -- good if you're carrying a big hangover -- they don't bat an eyelid when you order copious amounts of hair of the dog and the menu isn't too "breakfasty." Not cheap, but usually good.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I enjoy brunch at Bistro Bis. It's serene -- good if you're carrying a big hangover -- they don't bat an eyelid when you order copious amounts of hair of the dog and the menu isn't too "breakfasty." Not cheap, but usually good.

I second this. I like Bis for brunch, but it isn't cheap and it's heavier on lunch than breakfast foods. I had a wonderful meal there last month of a belgian endive salad and French onion soup. I took a friend for her birthday, which I've done a few times. Steak and eggs is her favorite breakfast, and they do it up right there.

Maybe my first post wasn't specific enough. My wife & I like the "breakfasty" stuff & just keeping it simple. What we don't want is overcooked eggs & soggy hashbrowns, which seems to happen all too often when places are swamped for brunch. Colorado Kitchen is always busy at brunch, but I have never gotten a poached egg that may as well have been hard-boiled or potatoes that are crunchy only because they haven't been cooked enough. We also like good sweets to start sometimes i.e. doughnuts, sweet rolls, muffins. I also really like bis & firefly, but crave a breakfast like I'd cook at home if I had the time or energy.

Thanks,

Drew Trautmann

Executive Chef

Mendocino Grille

Try Majestic Cafe in Alexandria. Nice space, thoughtful drinks, breakfast-y menu (including a ham hash and a side item of cheese grits that's equal parts cheese and grits), exellent bread basket, entrees around $10, and usually available seats.

(edit: not in DC, but evey time I've ventured out it's been well worth it)

Edited by bmiller (log)

Rosemary's Thyme Bistro over at 18th and S usually has good brunch - though my last time there was not so good, but I think that was because our order got stuck in the kitchen behind a party of 20. Prices very reasonable. Logan Tavern on P Street is also very good - good home fries.

I've been meaning to try Tabard Inn, which is supposed to be very good.

Cashions has a great brunch with simple dishes...and an amazing pastry basket. it is also extremely reasonable.

My wife and I went to Tabard Inn for brunch on my birthday just a few weeks ago (since Cashion's doesnt open until 11:30)...what we tried was great....and i love the space.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

Peacock Cafe isn't everyone's cup of tea (too hoity-toity, maybe), but I've enjoyed the brunches I've had there. I love their french toast with strawberries in a syrup of balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. I also like the All American, eggs with choice of meat (I find the chicken sausage to be inedibly dry, though; stick with bacon) and home fries.

Peacock Cafe's brunch menu

Ardeo is also great - similar vein to Peacock Cafe though.

When I have a hangover and want something cheap, I go to...<hangs her head in shame> Austin Grill for either Macho Tacos or Texas Toast, both served with chips and salsa. No joke.

I've only been to Kramerbooks for brunch once - didn't like it enough to go back, but I realize that's just one person's opinion. My issues there? The portions were huge (a selling point for some, a waste for me) and the french toast was so blah, so tasteless (even after syrup, and then butter). The service? Slow. Slow. Slow.

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

Never mentioned on here is one of D. C.'s best and most reasonably priced, the Afterwards Cafe at Kramer Books, just north of Dupont Circle.

the one time i went there, i spent $20 (fixed price) on a crappy omelette and a mimosa...not exactly what i would call reasonable.

Cashions and Tabard have that place beat by a stack of flapjacks a mile high.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

I have to agree that Afterwards isn't worth it. The last time I was there I encountered long waits, mediocre omlettes and french toast and overpriced "specials".

When the weather gets warmer and you are looking for something more casual the brunch at Eastern Market is great. Those blueberry pancakes are worth standing in line for.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Afterwords is ok in my book. I've been a couple times and found it satisfactory - I do think it's a tad pricey for what you get - it seems more on quantity than quality. I never veto the place if friends want to go, but I almost never suggest it - except for dessert!

I like 15 ria also - service is good. Last time there, I had quite yummy blueberry pancakes.

I know the place gets panned here, but I also really like Chef Geoff's brunch (downtown) - I've always like the food, service is attentive, and in the spring/fall, they have a nice covered patio you can sit on - and looking at the web page, they even have a $20 coupon for brunch now......

I'm a tireless promoter of the brunch at Bistro Français on M St. in Georgetown. Excellent "brunchy" items like Eggs Benedict or Norwegian (with smoked salmon); also excellent "lunchy" items like roast chicken. Some of the best French fries in the area. Bottomless champagne glass. $18.95. When you reserve, ask to be seated on the "restaurant side", which is more serene. The service can be a little uneven, but cultivate your waiter to be sure of prompt refills of that bottomless glass.

I have to agree that Afterwords brunch is Not All That. The place is only good for late-night munchies when there's nowhere else to go and The Diner does not beckon.

Also, when the sun is out, do not be tempted to sit by the glass windows facing it. It makes you feel like you're on a hot plate (while fully dressed.) Not Good.

Resident Twizzlebum

Please don't forget La Fourchette on 18th St in Adams Morgan. Very good eggs, crepes, and great people watching from the sidewalk cafe. It's nice inside too, very homey. The French couple who own it are an Adams Morgan institution. Do NOT be tempted by Bardia's across the street. Food is terrible!

Please don't forget La Fourchette on 18th St in Adams Morgan.  Very good eggs, crepes, and great people watching from the sidewalk cafe.  It's nice inside too, very homey.  The French couple who own it are an Adams Morgan institution.  Do NOT be tempted by Bardia's across the street.  Food is terrible!

Another vote here for La Fourchette, but be warned that the menu is almost all omelettes, other egg dishes, and crepes. (I only notice this because I don't like eggs.) Coffee's good, bread is dry, atmosphere is French, price is right.

I always enjoy Ardeo brunch -- went there for Easter, and although we were sad to be stuck with a $29 prix fixe instead of just picking and choosing from the menu, everything was absolutely delicious. The bread pudding with candied walnut ice cream and dried cherries was insane, and a huge portion, besides.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

We also like good sweets to start sometimes i.e. doughnuts, sweet rolls, muffins.

At a recent brunch at 15 ria, we had a basket of nicely sweetened cornbread that was crunchy on top and crumbly in the middle...very good. You can also order a basket of sticky buns, scones, muffins, etc. Also enjoyed the banana french toast.

Even though they'll be looking for a new chef, I imagine the menu will stay the same for a while.

Amanda

Metrocurean, a D.C. restaurant and food blog

I like the brunch at the Luna Cafe in Shirlington. They have several different takes on Eggs Benedict. I particularly like the Eggs Cheasapeake which has crab instead of Canadian bacon.

I have not been to the one in Dupont.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the Daily Grill on Wisconsin serves breakfast (they are in a hotel). Also, if you're not looking for atmosphere, the Georgetown Bagelry on M st does a mean toasted bagel with egg & cheese! Along with a variety of other bagel sandwiches. yum. Finally, if you don't mind the student-diner feeling of Booeymonger, they also serve breakfast. Bagels, various egg things, etc.

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

Good options, nice range - thanks to all. My mother's coming to town on business and has a few hours to kill (with me!).

Fortunately I'm going to be able to take the Wednesday and Thursday off in exchange for the time off I didn't get to use last week. Hoping for more sunny days (I think I'm out of luck on Thursday but anything will be better than more time at the office).