• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth Be Told...Anybody Still Cookin'?

3WholeCardamoms

I am getting a new kitchen at the moment ( :smile:  :biggrin:  :laugh: ) so after everything is hooked up again and the construction equipment is out of the way I am going to be doing some very serious cooking. One more week and counting...in the meantime, it is takeout food or restaurant visits every evening...

Hey, Chocoholic!

Time to get the camera out and start your own reno thread...We want to see those pictures!! :biggrin:

i usually cook at home 4 nights a week and make enough so we have leftovers the other 3 - as well as food for lunch. am getting ready to post on the dinner thread but besides the dinner i made tonight and last night -

i have a leftover game hen, yellow and green beans to make into a pot pie on tuesday for john's lunch on weds and thurs

made a batch of foccacia to send to work for john's snacks during the week. takes maybe 20 minutes to bring together and then rising and baking

i'm still good on coffee cake and toffee blondies for his other snacks - will probably have to do more of these my next day off, tuesday

breakfast this morning for john was a fried egg sandwich with turkey bacon. i was eating soy yoghurt and fruit. tomorrow it will probably be french toast to use up the last of the portugese sweet bread from last tuesday or maybe just toasted with the latest batch of toast dope.

i also have several batches of soup individually frozen from my participation on the soup thread. it makes life a bit easier when all i have to do for the 3 nights i work late® is grab something from the freezer for a late dinner or to throw in our lunch bags.

i enjoy eating out occasionally though i prefer lunch for that. did try a new bbq place on tuesday last week. johnnybird and i are planning to go out for lunch friday when we have to run errands. we do eat out a bit more on vacation though our condo does have a full refrigerator, 2 burners and a microwave and, since we tend to go off season, most of the places are open only on the weekends.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tonight-Morrocan spiced bean stew. I got some yellow Indian woman left from Rancho Gordo and made it into a huge pot of stew and this should carry me for a few nights.

Last night-Skate in brown butter with artichoke hearts dressed in meyer's lemon confit. The fishmonger at Union Square Greenmarket finally returned! I could resist fresh skate and the Artichoke hearts have been marinating in my fridge for a half a week, so it just became my side dish.

Thursday night-spiced cauliflower with potatoes on basmati rice. I got a head of cauliflower from whole foods and some left over potatoes from my soup the other day. Basmati rice was made in a rice cooker.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Last night: Beef Chorizo sausage from Whore Foods with a reduction sauce of the juices, zucchini "fettucine" in sun dried tomato alfredo sauce, tossed salad with the zucchini "handles" chopped up, cucumber, green onion, and greens.

Marcia.

Damn

This is my favourite egullet sentence ever.

You got some nasty stores down in CO.

3WC

:blush: Oh, geez, that's what my friends and I always call it when talking amongst ourselves. How embarrassing that I didn't catch it :blush:.

Marcia.

who made chicken kale barley soup for dinner tonight, and it was delicious.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Tonight: (wife & 2 friends)Two different pizzas, one with pepperoni and sausage other with mushrooms, peppers, onions, with a Greek Salad and fresh strawbwrries and cream.

Lunch:(me) Delicious NY style Italian sub sandwich at a deli.

Yesterday

Breakfast: (2)Frittata w/ roasted peppers, portabellos, potatoes and carameized onions.

Lunch: (for 8) Stir fried Shrimp and vegetables with basmati rice and brownies.

Dinner:(2) Beef stew with mushrooms , pearl onions and Cabernet(me) and grilled portabello with mashed potatoes and mushroom sauce (wife) with asparagus and rice pudding with whipped cream.

Friday

Breakfast:(2) French toast , bacon, mixed fruit

Lunch:(me)Grilled cheese with ham, wasabi and tomato

Dinner:(2) Thai style noodle bowl with scallops and veggies with a cucumber salad w sesame dressing and Chocolate chip and macademia nut cookies.

Hey, do we have to be 100% truthful here? (My extremely fit, lean husband adores Hamburger Helper ... it's disgusting.)

The last three meals I cooked were

Sunday dinner: Leftovers from last week -- Jerk chicken; pasta with shrimp, blue cheese, sundried tomato pesto, basil pesto and asiago. Pork roast with barbecue sauce for the bambinos. Salad with some awful tomatoes and great dressing.

Sunday breakfast: For the teenaged boys who crashed at our house (I think there were five), Belgian waffles with real maple syrup, bacon, juice, lots of black coffee (most are frequent visitors and before I got my hands on 'em, only knew from Eggo waffles and Log Cabin syrup).

Breakfast today: Cheese omelette for secondborn; grits for firstborn. A blend of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, All Bran and Grape-Nuts Flakes for my husband, as well as the last bites of omelette and grits.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Last night for us was a pork roast with potatoes, carrots, broccoli and melting chocolate puddings for desert.

On Sunday afternoon we did a pasta dish with penne, chorizo, spinach and mushrooms.

Saturday's supper was vegetarian: Imam Baldi (stuffed eggplant) and a rice flavoured with chicken broth, mushrooms and a pinch of saffron

I cook pretty much every night, even if it's just a pasta dish thrown together.

Over on the Dinner! thread, people cook some amazing things....

We cook in practically every night. Since I'm still pretty green at cooking for two people (and at cooking in a country I don't know too well), it's a challenge, but it's marvelous fun. One big adjustment is that our main meal of the day is lunch (on the weekends), instead of dinner. Meet my American-European marriage.

Last night: smoked salmon, tomato-cucumber-balsamic-vinaigrette salad, blue cheese, hardboiled eggs, baguette. (I know, it's post-mall-excursion snacking food, not really cooking.) :biggrin:

Saturday lunch: fusilli with meat, eggplant, and squash ragu.

Friday lunch: broiled hot wings / drumsticks, asparagus.

Crusty bread and some kind of fantastic Israeli cheese feature at almost every meal. :wub:

Sunday night: NY Strip Steak; Purple Fingerling Potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper; Garlicky Green Beans with Parmesan Bread Crumbs

Sunday lunch: Seasoned Fresh Chinese Noodles (tossed with a wee bit of sesame oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and scallion) with Sausage, Egg, Bok Choy in chicken broth simmered with garlic, ginger, scallion, cilantro

This is where we admit our guilty pleasures...

Saturday dinner (eaten in front of the TV while watching a movie): Pigs in Blankets (kielbasa sliced lengthwise and wrapped in Pillsbury crescent dough) dipped in honey-mustard sauce (just honey and mustard mixed together); Spinach Dip (homemade, no soup mix packets) with red bell pepper and tortilla chips for dipping; Beets and Walnuts in Dill Vinaigrette (it doesn't go with the rest of the meal but I really like beets).

count us in among those who can't afford to eat out,

plus a 3 yo who drives us all crazy in restaurants.

i think we can't eat out as a family until said kid is 18+

and can be left at home alone.....

so, i cook usually 2ce a week, and stretch leftovers over

the other days.

sunday i cooked:

1. huge keg of panjabi kadhi (this was for packed lunches

for entire family for the week, with rice).

2. plain rice

3. cauliflower, red + orange bell pepper kari.

4. made ghee, and a spinach + onion + green chili sabzi

in the ghee dregs after the ghee had been poured off into its bottle.

yum!

4. mixed dal (3 kinds of dal) with tomatos and onions and panch pora

spices (bangla style 5 spice).

5. set yogurt for the week.

so:

sunday dinner was rice, mixed dal, and spinach sabzi.; yogurt

to end.

monday lunch: kadhi and rice, with grapes / bananas.

monday dinner: dal and rice, with cauliflower kari; yogurt to end.

water....

milagai

(feeling hungry again)

thursday night i had deviled eggs and a carrot cupcake

yesterday lunch was a damn tasty turkey club

dinner last night was steamed mussels and rock shrimp with lemongrass, coconut milk, jalepenos and roasted tomatoes. cheese and muscat grapes for dessert

i prepared the tomatoes yesterday afternoon while also soaking and cooking marrow beans for tonight's dinner. also slow roasted 2 small shoulder blade steaks rubbed with a fennel-corriander rub (ala michael chiarrello) for eating with the beans and some broccolini tonight.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

We have 2 kids and a limited budget. I make three meals a day, almost every day. Our last 3 meals were:

Breakfast Toasted bagels with salmon spread, scrambled eggs, bacon, orange juice.

Lunch Tuna salad with celery and shredded carrots, clementines.

Dinner Roast boneless leg of lamb - rubbed with dijon mustard, garlic & honey, and rolled up with rosemary inside. Steamed asparagus with butter. Plain rice.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I usually cook on five of the seven days of the week, and occasionally on Friday and Saturday as well.

My main Sunday meal is as reliable as a quartz watch: Breakfast served at brunch time, consisting of bacon, sausage patties, hash brown potatoes (sometimes with regular onions, sometimes with Vidalias, sometimes with cheddar cheese), and eggs any style, including omelets. Partner likes eggs sunny-side up, roommate likes either scrambled eggs or an omelet, nearly everyone else (the guest list varies each week) goes for an omelet. My standard version is ham, Cheddar cheese, Pepper Jack cheese, onions and bell peppers (usually red ones).

The only other thing I "cooked from scratch" yesterday was a snack platter: Take 8 Triscuit crackers. Top each with a slice of cheese, then a slice of pepperoni. Nuke for 20-30 seconds. Enjoy.

My other meals this past week weren't terribly creative: Strip steaks, asparagus with hollandaise sauce (from a mix packet) and baked potato on Tuesday, soup and sandwiches Wednesday and Thursday. As I don't get home from work until 7 p.m. these days, unless I can toss it in a Crock-Pot before I leave around 6:45 a.m. or fix it real fast afterwards, I don't make it. (One of my meals last week was a Crock-Pot recipe: Hungarian goulash, served over egg noodles. That was also my Friday lunch, augmented by cubes of leftover strip steak, over ramen.)

What did I fix for dinner Monday? Must not have been anything special, for I can't remember what it was at all, except that it required my using my countertop grill.

Now that I've been informed that I'll be on a three-days-a-week work schedule starting today, I will have time to do up something special on Tuesdays and Thursdays again.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

The last meal that I cooked was Friday night... Shepherd pie using chicken and beer bread (homemade) as the crust. Saturday and Sunday I had drill, so everything was Army Issue.

Thursday was St. Patrick's day, so I had beer for supper (hey, it's whole-grain, right?)

Wednesday I worked 14 hours straight and had to be at work 4 hours early the next day so I don't think I really ate anything.

Tuesday, too far back to remember.

I currently have chicken thighs marinating in soy sauce and sriracha. I need to stop by the grocery store and pick up some vegetables and fruit. But, I have class til 9:30 tonight, so that'll wait til tomorrow.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

i rarely cook in the morning or at lunch. just cereals, oatmeal, bread etc.

home made bread, hehe.

i always cook dinner, tho' in my book, it's not that often real cooking. i just go to supermarket, find some ingredients that will probably go together, and kinda make a meal of it. rarely more than one course (tho' almost always a salad of sorts) - menus are reserved for entertaining/celebrations. i find the everyday cooking quite fun while i'm doing it, with all the chopping sauteeing timing etc., but i also find it kinda hard to remember what i cooked a few days ago...

sure, planning and executing a full scale menu is really, really interesting, but boy, it's time consuming and expensive.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

My husband and I cook just about every night. With three teenagers and almost nightly drop-ins, we have to!

Let's see. Last three meals?

Friday night - cracked pepper shrimp with baked potatoes

Saturday lunch - Stouffers French bread pizza

Saturday night - left overs (kids all bugged out so just hubby and me)

Sunday morning - tamales (bought from our Friday tamale lady) topped with chili, cheese and eggs. :wub:

Sunday night - red beans and rice with basmati rice

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Friday dinner: spinach and orzo salad with grilled chicken and feta cheese

Saturday dinner: goat-cheese and basil stuffed chicken breasts, spring greens salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette (greens from our garden, thankyouverymuch :biggrin:)

Sunday dinner: DH was gone so I splurged and made Chinese potstickers. no accompaniment. just the potstickers. mmmm...unbalanced meal goodness...

Now that I work from home, I cook more, and eat better....however, I also eat more....need to watch that.

Last night, dinner was a big salad of Boston lettuce, really ripe, sweet avocado, sliced strawberries, walnuts, and olive oil/vinegar dressing, and tortilla chips.

Breakfast today, slowcooked oatmeal, with sauteed, diced apples, cinnamon, maple syrup and a dash of salt and hot sauce.

Lunch, went out, had a broiled haddock sandwich, with cajun seasoning. Delicious.

Dinner, have a beef brisket braising in the oven, marinated it all afternoon in redwine and tons of garlic. Smells heavenly. Will have that with roasted asparagus tossed with sea salt and pepper. May need to make a batch of homemade guacamole to snack on as smell of dinner is driving me crazy, and it won't be ready for hours.

:raz: Pam

Hey everyone feeding those extra kids....

check and see if one of them is mine...18, not too tall, bluish blond hair...havent fed her in a few days

:wub:

actually when I got home there was an open bottle of seltzer on the coffee table and some grape stems.......but no child

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Sat dinner: halibut fillets (started pan seared, finished under broiler), asparagus, garlic mashed potatoes with my new ricer (wow how fluffy compared to the old masher! next time I'm roasting the garlic too)

Fri dinner: cheated with frozen M&M meat pies because had to rush out to meet friends

Thurs dinner: soup and some fruit because I had to rush out to meet friends

Wed dinner: roasted chicken breasts w/ garlic & lemon, snap peas, fried rice

Basically if I have the time, dinner can be okay but if there is 1 hr or less between work and socializing, it's often junk food. I guess I'm no Rachel Ray, tee hee.

Hmmm -- the last three meals I cooked --

Monday night: Panko crusted yellow tail snapper, homemade tarter sauce, spelt berry pilaf, steamed baby tatsoi, red chard and arugula, sauteed baby patty pan and zucchini squash with onions and tomato.

Sunday lunch: Mixed greens salad with red pepper, cucumber and avocado dressed with lemon thyme vinaigrette, grilled rib eye steaks, sauteed kale and mizuna greens with garlic and ginger, baked sweet potato with cinnamon butter, homemade chocolate chip cookies with Ben & Jerry's Vanilla Ice Cream.

Saturday dinner: Chicken vegetable soup to please a cold, apple cinnamon muffins, tossed salad with lemon thyme vinaigrette.

Fri dinner: cheated with frozen M&M meat pies because had to rush out to meet friends.

Tell me this isn't what I think it is....No chocolate involved, right? :biggrin:

Sorry to (possibly) gross you out Rehovot, forgot the regionality thing! M&M is a meat shop here in BC - so no I was not eating candy coated meat! :raz:

I used to do a whole lot more home cooking, even when it was just for myself. But nowadays I have to deal with tempermental joint problems that often flare up with little warning, plus an erratic work schedule, such that I'm often too rushed, too tired, or plain old too achey to cook anything more complicated than pasta or at most an omelette ... or to just order takeout.

However, this past weekend was my big fried chicken experiment, so guess what I ate off-and-on this entire past weekend, and yesterday too--buk buk buk! :biggrin:

And today for brunch/blunch, I made a simple cheese omelette.