• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peach Bitters

kvltrede

Imbibe magazine had a recipe for rhubarb bitters last month or so - I asked if anyone had tried it but apparently not. It sounds like a great idea to me.

Your last post about that Imbibe recipe sparked some interesting debate;

http://egullet.org/p1817156

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

• 2 months later...

Bump to see if anyone has messed around with peach bitters and was interested in sharing a recipe. I feel like jumping into bitters making, and I think peach is something I would get some use of while improving on the one existing product on the market.

Bump to see if anyone has messed around with peach bitters and was interested in sharing a recipe. I feel like jumping into bitters making, and I think peach is something I would get some use of while improving on the one existing product on the market.

Further to my comments above, I have been working on reintroducing Peach Bitters, as things stand I have various prototypes, an abundance of research and I'm currently putting vintage samples through the gas chromotography process. No real timeline as yet but I hope to have something on the market to join my portfolio sooner rather than later. Very excited with how things have developed thus far...

Regarding sharing a recipe, not going to happen. :wink:

Hah, you're just about the last guy on here I'd expect to be sharing a bitters recipe!

Seriously though, glad to hear your efforts are progressing well and I'll definitely be at the front of the line when you're able to release a bottling.

Hah, you're just about the last guy on here I'd expect to be sharing a bitters recipe!

Take that back, take that back now! :wink:

As a working bartender myself I've always tried to perfect my own housemade products, from syrups to flavoured sugars, liqueurs to sodas, with a high degree of success. It takes a lot of hard-work and dedication to produce a product that's (at a minimum) the equal of what is commercially available but with the advent of social media and having a wealth of information at your fingertips there's no reason why you can't have a go.

Giving something back to the global bar community is a small way of saying thank-you to everyone who continues to support my products. With that in mind, alongside my bitters bottlings I've made a concerted effort to release recipes for products which I feel bars and bartenders should produce on their own. Falernum, Orgeat and these cherries are just three of the recipes in the public domain.

Real Cocktail Cherries

Roasted Almond Orgeat

Recipe heaven

There are further product recipes to come, including some for bitters that aren't just the usual crappy, "cup of bourbon and spices..." that others gift you. :laugh:

Hey thanks, I had no idea that all those recipes were out on Facebook! Always looking for new things to do with your bitters so that's a great repository :smile:

No problem, Facebook are removing the discussions section of fan pages (for some unknown reason) at the end of October which will speed up my plan to update the recipe's archive of my newest Dr. Adam's webpage. As soon as I get a few hours spare I'll be adding the lot, and a whole load more, across there. I'll be sure to let everyone know here as and when.

So, has anyone tried to make their own? I really can't stand Fee's. All of their "fruit" bitters taste like cough syrup flavors to me.

Short answer, yes, based on the bottlings of vintage Peach Bitters I own. I've been analysing them for some time and hope to submit them to a gas chromotography in the coming weeks. Whether I ever release these as a bottling I've yet to decide, although I would love to release a true Peach Bitters. That's about all I can share just now.

Oh, please do! Just as the world really does need a real peach brandy, it also needs a real peach bitters!

Oh, please do! Just as the world really does need a real peach brandy, it also needs a real peach bitters!

It's been a long process so far (getting to Boker's proportions now) but I'm seeing an end point within reach. Just a little more patience is all I can ask for!

So, has anyone tried to make their own? I really can't stand Fee's. All of their "fruit" bitters taste like cough syrup flavors to me.

Short answer, yes, based on the bottlings of vintage Peach Bitters I own. I've been analysing them for some time and hope to submit them to a gas chromotography in the coming weeks. Whether I ever release these as a bottling I've yet to decide, although I would love to release a true Peach Bitters. That's about all I can share just now.

I was under the impression there now is a real peach brandy out there as described here by Splificator. I hope so since I finally have a bottle or three on the way. Just wish it was a bit easier to acquire! I've been working on it for over a month now.

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I was in the bay area last month and took what ended up being a two hour detour for one bottle of Kuchan aged peach brandy. It sits unopened until I figure out what to do with it...

Lots of nice things out there in the bay area and a few other select places but for those of us out here in the heathen hinterlands it is a bit more challenging. Atlanta is better than some places no doubt and it is home, and has been for a long time, so I just try to make do as best I can!

With enough time, and frequent pestering of the right people, I can usually eventually get most things if I really want to make the effort. If a new peach bitters finally comes along I hopefully will be able to get that too.

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I was under the impression there now is a real peach brandy out there as described here by Splificator. I hope so since I finally have a bottle or three on the way. Just wish it was a bit easier to acquire! I've been working on it for over a month now.

Yeah, the conversation here picked up from elsewhere (not another forum, honest :unsure: ) regarding such a bottling.