• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Spice

I've never been for anything but drinks, but if they're connected to the Philly (and NYC) locations, then expect them to serve reasonably good South Asian cuisine aimed primarily at a newcomer to the cuisine.

Also a bridge (of sorts) between the Indian buffets around the college campus in Philly and more mainstream/regular dining.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

was planning to visit this sunday but something came up. Its a ' chain', has a bright funky decor. I saw one reviewed on the food channel, looked very good and have been meaning to try it since, glad its in the neighborhood so I dont have to drive to Philly.

I understand its a kind of franchise, they sell you the right to set up shop and then you have to buy all the food from them which is bulk prepared at their central kithen somewhere in the New York, New Jersey area and trucked out to the restaurant.

The prices on the website seemed a bit steep ( 15 bucks for a tandoori chicken) but then its not positioned as a mom n pop strip mall place. I am looking forward to trying it. Perhaps monica can get a group together and we can eat family style tasting a wider variety.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

I understand its a kind of franchise, they sell you the right to set up shop and then you have to buy all the food from them which is bulk prepared at their central kithen somewhere in the New York, New Jersey area and trucked out to the restaurant.

OK, that they do not mention on the Web site.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

OK, that they do not mention on the Web site.

Most Indian restaurants work on a ( as the health department terms it) prepare and hold basis where the stews are fully cooked and refrigerated. No way can anyone serve you a lamb curry, with flavors wonderfully infused in the meat, in 15 minutes if they were starting from scratch.

While some restaurants like the Hard Times Cafe actually tout the fact that they refrigerate the chilly overnight to deepen the flavor, others do not highlight the fact due to consumer perceptions.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia