• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buenos Aires Organic Produce

Hello-

One of my challenges in moving to Buenos Aires has been finding reliably good, fresh produce. It's great to see so many corner produce stands with the fruits and vegetables so colorfully displayed. But, unfortunately, I've been burned by mediocre stuff too many times. A produce buyer for a local grocery store confirmed to me that much of the best that this country grows is for export.

That, and the fact that back in Chicago I belonged to a CSA, drove me to seek out some alternatives to my neighborhood fruit stand.

One place I came across (by asking the manager of Bio, a vegetarian restaurant in Palermo Hollywood that was good but overpriced) is called La Orgánica. Their number is 4911.7601. (I don't know if there is anyone there who speaks English, FWIW). They only do delivery. If you call, they will tell you what day of the week they deliver in your area. Then you can call the day before to put in your order, according to what is in season and available. Beyond produce, they have what you might call "pantry staples" -- organic flour, olive oil, etc. They also have bread, milk and some cheese. They deliver a catalog with your first order.

My experience with them was very positive -- the fruit and vegetables were all top-notch. The basil came verdant and lovely with its roots still intact, the easier to keep it fresh in some water. The carrots came with the tops still on. The tangerines and oranges were ugly but delicious. Grapes and plums were excellent, too. I also ordered cucumbers, arugula and radicchio. Possibly something else I'm forgetting. My fridge looks like a greenhouse.

The only "problem" is that the minimum order is 35 pesos -- which is a LOT of produce for, say, one or two people. But you can fill out the order with the pantry staples -- or just prepare to eat a LOT of produce (I was sort of used to this idea, having been inundated with CSA produce in the past).

This is my first post. I'm hoping my little bit of legwork here helps someone and takes some of the mystery out of getting hold of good organic ingredients -- or just good ingredients period -- in Buenos Aires.

Daniel, thanks for posting your findings.

It's close to the time when we leave the shores of India, for our 6 months in Buenos Aires. Whereas I personally love the great Argentine parrillas, my vegetarian husband is less enthusiastic about the cuisine - so your post is really very useful.

We usually shop in Jumbo, because it's a convenient one stop grocery store. And we go to the Belgrano area for all the fresh spices, which we buy in Chinatown. In BA a lot of people have citrus fruit right in their garden, and the quality and aroma of the lemons and oranges is hard to beat.

On the whole there is not a wide range of fruit and vegetables available in BA, and we are not particularly fond of the pumpkin family, so your tip re La Organica is great!

• 1 month later...

From a sleuths perspective, if there any food markets held once a week somewhere in the city,

these are great hunting grounds for farm produce - especially cheese makers and vegetable growers. From my understanding, BA has a very strong Italian community, surely there is someone locally growing basil, tomatoes and making cheese or chorizo.

I'm curious to know where your organic produce is coming from? Any idea?

Research indicates BA has a strong Slow Food convivium. A page on google produced two recommendations for quality food in BA.

They are:

Epoca de Quesos

San Martin, corner of 14 of July - TAmail

Sarfatti Leon

Talcahuano 961

BA

The Slow Food convivium leader is a Santiago Sandal and an email is listed should you have more specific questions on finding good food in Argentina

info@slowfoodarq.com.ar

• 3 months later...

Daniel,

I know it has been awhile, and don't know if you're still looking, but there's a great organic/macrobiotic market in Barrio Chino, at Arribenos 2163, about a block from the Belgrano "C" train station.

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!

Thank you. I stop by that area a few times a month -- that whole neighborhood is great for finding things (spices, produce, etc.) that are not easily found in other places in the city -- esp. not all in one place.

Usually I go to Casa China @ Arribenos 2257. In fact, two days ago I was there and I picked up my first fresh passion fruit. Tart and pricey but interesting.

I'll have to stop by 2163 next time I'm over there. Thanks for the rec.

-daniel