• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant picking block

Hey all,

I am having a serious case of restaurant picking block.

I am trying to set up a nice b-day dinner for Katie and a bunch of friends. I am estimating we will end up with about 15 people depending on turnout.

Can anybody think of a reasonably affordable (in case some people dont want to spend as much) place with good solid cooking that can handle a large group?

I am sure I will slap my self when I hear the recs, but my brain isnt working today.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I think that always happens when you have to pick something!

I had a great birthday dinner at Palace Kitchen in the private room. If you wanted to go more casual Via Trib has a really cool private room with huge communal table also.

Crow has a big table for 10 or 12 if your party gets smaller.

Brasa has the upstairs area and I think they have a large group table?

Eight of us celebrated a birthday at Marjorie a while back. They don't have a private room, but they should be able to set you up in the back of the main dining room. We had a great time.

I've also used the private room at Sazerac, which is fun too. I know there was a charge for the room but I can't remember what it was.

Happy birthday to Katie.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Do you konw if most of those private tables have minimum bills?  I checked out Wild Ginger and there was a 40 pp minimum.  It probably would be met for sure, but I dont want to put pressure on people to spend $$.

as Anita said Palace had a minimum but by the time everyone had apps, dinner and drinks we were over it so I didn't worry. Can't recall what it is though- you can email them from their site

Tom Douglas Private Dining

tango hooked about 15 of us up about a year ago. you can set a per-person price and they'll feed you. the room was lovely too.

i think the palace minimum is $500.

i hated marrakesh, but i'm kind of a spoiler. :raz: i wanted a fork. or bread that wasn't baguette sliced into thin rounds. it really was a little perverse. also i was there with a very large (30) person party and they sat us at 3 large adjoining tables and then sat 3 people (woe is them) in the tiny 2-top corner table next to us.

i know that (i'm blanking on the name) the wood pizza place in columbia city has a private space. i've done events at brasa upstairs - that's a great rec. no minimum i don't think and i've always had excellent service when in a group. they're always super cool about bringing off menu wines.

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I usually celebrate my birthday with a dozen friends and over the years we've gone to the China Gate, Bush Gardens, and Pancho Villa's when we wanted to spend little, and to Waterfront, Palace Kitchen, the Met, and El Gaucho when we were willing to spend a lot.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Do you like Chinese food?

Most of the chinese restaurants in the Int. District are used to serving large groups of people and they dont have a minimum.

The prices would also be cheaper than other places.

I'll suggest Jade Garden, Seven stars pepper.

Hey all,

I am having a serious case of restaurant picking block.

I am trying to set up a nice b-day dinner for Katie and a bunch of friends.  I am estimating we will end up with about 15 people depending on turnout.

Can anybody think of a reasonably affordable (in case some people dont want to spend as much) place with good solid cooking that can handle a large group?

I am sure I will slap my self when I hear the recs, but my brain isnt working today.

Ben

Cafe Lago is really nice and a good value. Since the owner, Carla, is an eG member, she really treats you right. I don't think they have a separate room, but they could put 15 people all in one area, as far as I know.

I just attended a birthday dinner at Marjorie on friday. There were 10 of us and I have to say that it seemed like they were having a tough time with service. The food was still good but our service was kindof bad.

I know that the limit at Palace is 14. 25 is a lot! That was the size of my rehearsal dinner. I think you will need someplace with a big private room?? Maybe email the people at Tom Douglas about the big room at Dahlia or the new Palace Ballroom. Or 7 Star Pepper or similar in the ID? Hey Brasa sat 30 of us for the Bourdin event right??