• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Transfer Sheets: Sourcing

Truffle Guy

Kerry - that is a nice selection of designs, and not as expensive as I thought they were going to be based on your comment. I'm going to pay more on shipping than the sheets themselves...geez you can even get Republic and Democrat transfers. Who knew :raz:

Hi. Lovely demo! I noticed that you used a melter. I am looking into getting two. Which company do you have? Mol d'art? And what size is the smallest while still being able to use a mold over it to cleanly pour out the chocolate. Right now I do this over my x3210 tempering machine and it is a bit messy, due to the bowl diameter.

Any info would be welcome!

Thanks!

Lior

The 6Kg melters are the smallest you can cleanly flip a mold over. The 3Kg melter is round instead of rectangular and would give you the same trouble as your x3210. I've got a pair of the 6Kg Mol d'art melters and I'm quite happy with them.

Hi! That is what I thought, so Iwill get the 6kg. I think I will be there in Oct for a course so I will buy them and save on shipping and customs! I hope this is what will happen...

Thanks1

caramel would be too hot to pour directly on transfer sheets.

they are meant for chocolate for the most part.  you can dip your caramels and then use the transfer on the chocolate as an option.

I saw some petits fours several years ago that were wrapped in marzipan and had a transfer on them. I didn't see the process, but I was told the marzipan was painted with melted cocoa butter, then placed onto the transfer sheet. When the cocoa butter set, it took the transfer design.

Maybe you could do something similar with caramels? Pour them out and let them cool. Then paint on a thin layer of melted cocoa butter and lay a transfer sheet on top (maybe flip the caramel over first so you're working with a nice flat surface.

Worth a try, anyway.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

they are meant for chocolate for the most part.  you can dip your caramels and then use the transfer on the chocolate as an option.

I saw some petits fours several years ago that were wrapped in marzipan and had a transfer on them. I didn't see the process, but I was told the marzipan was painted with melted cocoa butter, then placed onto the transfer sheet. When the cocoa butter set, it took the transfer design.

Maybe you could do something similar with caramels? Pour them out and let them cool. Then paint on a thin layer of melted cocoa butter and lay a transfer sheet on top (maybe flip the caramel over first so you're working with a nice flat surface.

Worth a try, anyway.

Thanks - sounds like a good idea! I'll try it (as soon as the humidity around here is less than 95% :hmmm:)

Worth a try, anyway.

i like that idea. i just wonder how quickly you have to work when working with small amounts of cocoa butter as the temperature has to be just right in order for the transfer to "take". even when dipping in chocolate and using transfer sheets, if the chocolate is a couple of degrees too cool, the transfers won't stick.

i like that idea.  i just wonder how quickly you have to work when working with small amounts of cocoa butter as the temperature has to be just right in order for the transfer to "take".  even when dipping in chocolate and using transfer sheets, if the chocolate is a couple of degrees too cool, the transfers won't stick.

You might be able to gently warm using a hair dryer if the transfer doesn't take... though this might be an iffy proposition.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I really want to place an order for some Chocolate Transfer Sheets from PCB. I'm in Australia, and I'm concerned about them melting on the way here.

Has anyone had any experience with them melting? It's not very hot here yet, however the delivery vans can get very hot. I'd just hate to pay out all the money and have them melt before they get here. :shock:

Has anyone had any experience in having them shipped? I've looked at their webpage, and they have no info on warm weather shipping or policies.

Thanks in advance - I'm new here, I just LOVE this site! :wub:

Danni

I think PCB would have a distributor in Australia. Depending where you're based you could try the Savour School (Melb) or The Essential Ingredient(Syd/Melb( for smaller quantities or Meyer(Syd) or Creative Ingredients(Melb) for larger quantities.

Hi Everyone,

I really want to place an order for some Chocolate Transfer Sheets from PCB.  I'm in Australia, and I'm concerned about them melting on the way here. 

Has anyone had any experience with them melting?  It's not very hot here yet, however the delivery vans can get very hot.  I'd just hate to pay out all the money and have them melt before they get here.  :shock:

Has anyone had any experience in having them shipped?  I've looked at their webpage, and they have no info on warm weather shipping or policies.

Thanks in advance - I'm new here, I just LOVE this site!  :wub:

Danni

I've had them shipped to Canada, and they've arrived just fine. they usually get shipped out on Monday and I'll get them Wednesday. There isn't a lot of time for them to get too hot. Be prepared for a huge shipping bill, it costs a lot to get them to arrive that fast. The last ones I got cost about 40 Euros just for shipping.

If you really are concerned, I would phone them, I have before and they do speak English. You can work out the time difference youself though!!

i think the problem the op is worried about is justified...remember in the antipodes, our winter is their summer (and vice versa), so regardless of when they order, the weather on one end or the other might not be ideal for shipping.

i would really consider what the second poster mentioned and try to order from a local distributor. that way, you're guaranteed a decent product. the con would be a limited choice in patterns/colors.

pcb is a good company, they happen to have (in my opinion) a monopoly on good design for transfer sheets. but, as mentioned, their shipping prices are a pain. in the usa this is a problem now because of the weak dollar. it wasn't so in the past.

good luck with your ordering!

edited to add: in a more direct response to your question, they don't specify differences in shipping costs based on season. it is a sort of "order at your own risk" kind of policy. also, they don't pack in any sort of insulated or specialized packaging. if you're ordering for a business, you might be able to order in bulk which might warrant more/better packaging. i've only ordered small quantities from them at a time. of course, you can always call them. it can be a pain. e-mailing them is a relatively futile experience. the europeans are woefully behind when it comes to internet (international) commerce.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

And don't forget, as I mentioned in another thread, there are several items that now cannot be shipped to the US, due to differences in regulations the FDA has over certain food colorings that are allowed in Europe. Many of the items I came to depend on, like certain transfer sheet patterns and patterns for joconde biscuit are not available to me unless I order a huge amount, at which point they consider it's worth their while to make US approved color formulation for that production run.

Which, of course, I cannot afford. :sad:

It is my hope that PCB will regularly use US approved colors and do production runs so that US customers, both large and small can order from them. I don't see why they can't do that now. :sad:

• 10 months later...

I can't find where I originally asked about sunflower transfer sheets, but after 9 months of searching, I've had no luck. My event is in 10 days. By any chance, has anyone seen sunflower design transfer sheets?

My dessert will be gingerbread and lemon curd petit fours with a chocolate disk on top.

I can't find where I originally asked about sunflower transfer sheets, but after 9 months of searching, I've had no luck.  My event is in 10 days.  By any chance, has anyone seen sunflower design transfer sheets?

My dessert will be gingerbread and lemon curd petit fours with a chocolate disk on top.

Haven't seen them - can you paint?

• 1 month later...