• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Xing

SobaAddict70

The "electric karma" - vodka, sweet ginger purée, pineapple juice - comes in a ceramic Buddha with an open belly button that permits the insertion of a straw.
Lobster with ginger and scallion was an insufficiently succulent betrayal of such fine flesh. But crispy roast chicken was crispy indeed, its skin a crackling wonder that encased beautifully moist meat.

Chef Josh Eden, formerly of 66, showcases Manhattan-Chinese fusion and demonstrates that "Hell's Kitchen is not just for urban trailblazers anymore".

Xing (Frank Bruni) (from the NYTimes DIGEST update for the weekend of 18 March 2005 -- 20 March 2005. Scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Soba

Yes it is hip - more like a large version of mid-levels wine bar in HKG. The 30+ something crowd is shunted into the back room - the young and chic in the front. If you want chinese food - go few door down to GSI - If you want ambiance and hangout + have some chinese apps. this is the place.

BTW - I found the bokchoy and fried rice suprisingly good.

anil

• 1 year later...

Having been to neither, I'm still can't help but compare and contrast Xing and Chinatown Brasserie.

As best I can tell,

Xing: is a little more downscale, and much smaller

CB: is a little more formal, but is somewhat along the lines of huge 300+seat restaurants in Chinatowns and Hong Kong

does taste-perfect versions of classic Chinese dishes, with far superior ingredients than most Chinese restaurants

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Went to Xing a few weeks ago pre-theater, and am happy to report that it was a very good experience.

Place is modern, hip, and a nice use of a small-ish space. Banquettes in the front by the bar. Food is creative, this is a chef that cares about food. Presentation is taken very seriously here, but this is not style over substance, the food is wonderful! Seafood wraps, Galangal Cod, Oolong Pork Chops, Szechuan Scallops are among the highlights. Service is attentive and appropriate.

The only flaw are the overpriced drinks, faux-exotic, but a bit of fun anyway.

Go for the food and the look-- a wonderful restaurant!!

I went back in April and had a good dinner. We ordered the crispy asparagus and avocado roll with pomegranate and anise teriyaki as an appetizer. This was basically a tempura asparagus and avocado sushi roll. We really enjoyed this, especially the flavor that the frying brought out of the nori. I ordered the black truffle and galangal crusted black cod with wok fried gailon and lotus chips for my main. The cod was perfectly cooked--tender but retaining its integrity. It was topped with a green pesto-like sauce. The cod was served over a bed of gailon and assorted mushrooms. I really enjoyed this dish, my only complaint being that the gailon and mushrooms seemed to have been sitting around for a while because they were lukewarm when they reached the table. My boyfriend ordered the fried tofu with japanese eggplant. I loved the silky-smooth texture of the tofu, but the seaweed salad it was served over was unpleasantly salty. We both loved the eggplant. Between dinner and dessert, we got a plate of unremarkable petites fours. For dessert, we ordered the fried banana with chocolate ginger dipping sauce. The light tempura batter and perfectly ripe bananas made this simple dessert great.