• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Stores/Food Shops in the Providence Area

I just stumbled upon a little Italian shop in East Providence called "the Italian Corner." I was really impressed with the quality and variety of products they had. I was particularly excited to see that they just started carrying guanciale (from 2 different sources.) I've not been able to find anyplace locally that carries it. They had some great looking prepared foods as well as imported items. Definitely worth checking out if you are in the area. They are located at 10 Boyd Ave which is right off Warren Ave.

http://italiancorner-ri.com/

edited to add web address

Edited by NewEnglandSteve (log)

Funny how we were just talking about the lack of a local source for guanciale.

In addition to that, they had what looked to be incredible lardo. They had a good variety of cured meats. They make fresh sauces, pasta and sausages on site as well. They said that their guanciale sources were from NY (maybe Salumeria Biellese?) and Oakland (maybe Niman Ranch?)

They have some cooking classes on Friday nights too. I spoke ot one of the workers there, Josh, for a few minutes. He was really enthusiastic about food and food making.

Holy crap. Guanciale? What else?

That's right down the street from Asiana, too, at the other end of Warren.

Do you know who the pork supplier is?

• 1 year later...

New competition for the Chinese-American store on Park in Cranston. Henry and Lily Lee are expanding what used to be the 99 Marketplace at 72 Rolfe St. to the Phu Lam Market. I was over there last night and they are going for the full-on supermarket: equipment, supplies, even a few tables out front. The back freezers are not yet installed, and the produce section was limited. I did my shopping at the C-A market but will be interested to see what comes of Phu Lam Market in coming weeks.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I don't know if its still there (I moved away 3 years ago, sigh) , but there had been an asian market on Broad street (fairly close to the YMCA downtown) that had fish at reasonable prices -- I used to get good red snapper there...

• 1 month later...

New favorite SE Asian -- Khmer, to be specific -- place is Narin Market at 759 Potters Ave. When you drive up, you'll think the address is wrong, but it's not: the store runs the length of a triple decker and has the best selection of produce I've seen in town: banana leaves, fresh tamarind, galangal, chiles, kroeung (Khmer "curry" paste).... Great music too.

I've been consistently disappointed with Sunny Market on Reservoir lately, I should add, and have pretty much stopped going there. Phu Lam Market has been impressive the few additional times I've stopped by.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

In November or December, Champe Speidel of Persimmon in Bristol opened Persimmon Provisions in Barrington -- great meats, cheeses, etc. It's a small market but the quality is exceptional and the people there are incredibly knowledgeable and don't mind spending some time talking aobut preparation etc. Well worth a visit.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Today I went to the Asian Market on Park in Cranston looking for my favorite Kim Chee Pride brand Kimchi which Panda Market in Norwich seems to have stopped stocking. I was looking for the large round jar and had to settle for two of the the quart sized. I also took a look around Freedom Seafood next door. It's kind of unwelcoming and has little on display, but did have live dungenous crabs in tanks which is worth noting. As I was making my way out of the area, I happened to see Phu Lam Market which I had never visited. The store was open, but looked as if it would not be for long. Most of the shelves were bare, refrigerated cases empty and the patrons seemed to be picking over leftovers looking for bargains. Any news?

HC

Phu Lam has looked like that for as long as it's been open. Seemingly random dry goods selection, mediocre to bad produce, and sketchy meats in warm "coolers." I've asked around about it, but can't get any information. I don't get the sense that they have the volume of regulars that Chinese American, Narin, and the other quality Asian markets have -- and, probably, need to keep quality high....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

• 3 years later...