• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Busman's Holiday

Do you like to cook on your days off?  If so, what do you like to prepare?  Or if you're not in the mood to cook, where do you like to go for a good meal (could be takeaway or formal restaurant) and what do you order?

Erin

I do like to cook on my day off. But I don't like to cook restaurant food which can disappoint any dinner guests hoping for a selection from the menu.

Restaurant kitchens have to break down dishes into component parts that can be reassembled alongside a piece of prime cut meat or fish within the space of a few minutes. This makes complex dishes easier - all the little garnishes and tubs of reduced stock can be brought into play - but makes something as simple as roast duck quite awkward as it takes an hour to cook and doesn't reheat well.

I eat out when I can also and am very lucky with my location. I ate out a few weeks ago at Hibsicus in Ludlow which is within walking distance and as sophisticated a french restaurant as you would find anywhere in Lyon. Last sunday I drove an hour to Lough Pool In near Ross on Wye to eat in Stephen Bull's pub and at least once a month I drive just over an hour - across fabulous scenery - to eat Stephen Terry's food at the Walnut Tree.

Of course I get to London as well now and again but this involves more effort and a bit more problem parking in front of the restaurant - not to mention restraint on the wine front to avoid the breathalyser on the way home.