• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: BLT Sandwich

raxelita

Had a bad blt at Schnack yesterday.. The bacon they used was great.. It was their jubilat bacon.. The bacon is thick,smoikey, chewy and delicious. However, they put it on italian bread... Wasnt real happy when it came to the table.. Barely ate the thing.. It was more like a huge ham/bacon sandwich.. If this sucker came on white toast it would have been fantastic.. Luckily they have 99 burgers so I got a few of these and just added the bacon to my burgers..

gallery_15057_1519_693880.jpg

gallery_15057_1519_882608.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Damn, Daniel, that is some thick bacon.

If you're inthe nabe again, I urge you to try the BLT at Frankie's on Court. It's obly available for lunch/brunch, but it is mighty tasty. Warning - it's on Sullivan St. Bakery ciabatta...

On a side note, I was at the Schnack spin-off at the Water Taxi Beach in LIC last night. The manager (owner?) of Schnack was there, but the staff helping him out were newbies. First beef hot do was fine, second was burn to a crisp and disgusting. Once they get their act together it may be a nice venue. Great view of the city, and $1 PBRs to boot. Had they been organized, I would have opted for the $8 elk burger - but if they can't cook a hot dog yet... (Not to mention Jever on tap.)

Love those 1 PBR.. Vat a bargain.. Do you know the name of the place in LIC.. Schnack is a great little spot for what it is.. I have a bunch of pictures of the food i have eaten there over the passed few visits.. I am contemplating starting a topic on them..

Edited by Daniel (log)

The place is actually called Water Taxi Beach.

I'd be interested in seeing a pictorial thread on Schnack. I really enjoy that place, but I've yet move past the sliders and hot dogs/sausages. Have you tried any of the other foods (besides the BLT)? I guess you could answer that question in the other thread...

JohnL, Union Square Cafe serves a BLT at lunch? They don't mess with the recipe?

I don't know if they still serve the BLT (the last time I had it was years ago).

I remember that I read a review of Union Square Cafe that mentioned the BLT that piqued my interest.

The sandwich as I remember it was pretty classic: great bread, superb bacon and fresh lettuce and tomato.

It's not 'Wichcraft. Had a BLT there today. Very salty bacon, not the same bacon they use on the meatloaf sandwich. OK tomato and lettuce, bread not quite substantial enough. The final sandwich was not as enjoyable as what many delis turn out.

The two best BLTs I've had recently were at Starwich and Blue Ribbon Bakery. Both were excellent -- as good as I'd be able to make without going to extraordinary measures and investing a heck of a lot of shopping time.

Was the one you had at Starwich a regular BLT, or the softshell crab BLT? I sampled that one at your book party on Tuesday and it was excellent.

JohnL, Union Square Cafe serves a BLT at lunch? They don't mess with the recipe?

I don't know if they still serve the BLT (the last time I had it was years ago).

I remember that I read a review of Union Square Cafe that mentioned the BLT that piqued my interest.

The sandwich as I remember it was pretty classic: great bread, superb bacon and fresh lettuce and tomato.

They serve it at lunch, but only during the late summer when tomato season is in full swing. I imagine the BLT will be on the menu soon. It is one of my favorite BLTs. Ripe tomato, thick bacon and good bread.

• 2 months later...

Daniel,

Great pictures..

Harry from Schnack here.. the bread "roll" is from Caputo's on Court St.

We are happy to make it on White, Wheat or Rye (toasted or not); just have to ask. We put it on the Roll because it's hmm a bit big (it's called the massive Jubilat BLT).

The bacon is from Jubilat on 5th ave in Brooklyn. Cherrywood smoked and then boiled. We slice it and griddle it.

/hawk

Had a bad blt at Schnack yesterday.. The bacon they used was great.. It was their jubilat bacon.. The bacon is thick,smoikey, chewy and delicious.  However, they put it on italian bread... Wasnt real happy when it came to the table.. Barely ate the thing.. It was more like a huge ham/bacon sandwich.. If this sucker came on white toast it would have been fantastic..  Luckily they have 99 burgers so I got a few of these and just added the bacon to my burgers..

gallery_15057_1519_693880.jpg

gallery_15057_1519_882608.jpg

Bringing Tasty Food to World