• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lassis

I can live on Mango lassi.  As a drink to go with Indian food.. as a dessert at times.. or just as my substitute for a small simple meal.

I love the mango lassis made with Ratnagiri mangoes.  There is something very wonderful about the mango flavor that is in the essence of those mangoes.

Even though the pulp is from a tin.. I seem to not care.

What do others think?  DO you have a favorite Lassi?  Where do you get it?

Mango lassis are great because they really tone down the heat of a spicy meal.

Besides mango what are the other common flavors? Tamarind?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Suvir, we love mango lassi at our house, as you describe, with an Indian meal or alone.  So good!

We have our to-go sources, but I wonder if you would describe how you make them at home for yourself?  Like other seemingly simple things they have to be just right!

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I use Ratna Mango Pulp you can find at most all Indian grocery stores.

Add the pulp with some yogurt and ice cubes and blend it into a lassi.  The proportions depend on how sweet you would like your lassi.

Play with it.. you will love it made at home.  Very simple, very nice.

Never heard of Tamarind Lassi - In North India, there are two - Salted lassi and sweet. In south india, it is chaas.

Mixing fruits is a very recent phenomena - i.e. mango lassi, it is a transmutation of fruit shakes.

anil

Anil Chaas is common in the north as well. Rajasthan and Oudh both in the north have Chaas as a staple. IN fact in homes there breakfast is served with Chaas.  

It is very light, nutritive and also economical.  Since Milk is often sold by those  that have cows and water buffalos.

And yes you are dead on about fruit lassis being recent additions... how recent?  a century maybe.  Since they were served in the days of thr Raj.

But Sweet plain Lassi and Salty Lassi are the main staples.

I like salty lassis or aryan or even kefir with a bit of sparkling mineral water added.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jinmyo do you mean Ayran...

Ha ha. Yes, I do.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Interestingly, there's a note in today's Guardian about London's ever-growing cocktail culture, and apparently the head barman at The Cinnamon Club is experimenting with a vodka-and-lassi combo.

The whole article is here.

Abomination? Inspired cross-cultural fertilisation? Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

I thought the note about aerating the cocktail to counter the heaviness of the yoghurt was interesting.

Miss J

Two years ago at our annual holiday open house in the village, we had made buckets of Lassi (mango) and it was served with dashes of Vodka, Champagne or Rum.  Depending on what one wanted.

People still remind me of that service.

I will go check out the article now.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

• 11 years later...

Hi! all.

I tried a uique way to prepare Lassi yesterday & I am gald to say over here, it becames so yummy & delicious, that I myself only can't belive it.

Firstly, I stir the ready Lassi, constantly for a few minutes, arouund 15min.

Added a few drops of Apple juice in it. After mixturing it fine, added choclate powder over it, mixed it well.

Then, mixes a mixture of dry fruits (powder) over it. Finally, I dropped a drops of Saffron water.

Freeze prepared Lassi for few minutes. See the difference, taste the difference.

Hoping, you all will sure try it..

Edited by alankar (log)