• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover Cornbread

Berlinsbreads

• 12 years later...
On 3/17/2005 at 7:45 AM, Jaymes said:

Here's another family favorite. Especially in the summer when we grill a lot of foods, I make extra cornbread so we can have this tasty salad. It's also fun to take to 'covered dish suppers.' It's quite a popular dish in some areas of the US.

Cornbread Salad

1 box Jiffy Cornbread, baked, cooled & crumbled, or 1 pan cornbread made with your own favorite recipe

1 C chopped tomatoes

1 C chopped celery

½ C chopped green bell peppers

1 bunch green onions w/tops, chopped

1 C mayo or Miracle Whip

Combine all ingredients thoroughly, cover and chill overnight.

And that's how we usually do it.

But...I've seen a great many recipes for this:

There's a Southwestern version where you use Mexican cornbread mix and to the above list of ingredients, you add some chiles and a well-drained can of kidney, pinto, Ranch Style, or chili beans. Some recipes call for a drained can of corn kernals. Some use 1 Pkg Hidden Valley Dressing mix (prepared) instead of the Miracle Whip or Mayo. Also, ½ cup chopped sweet pickles or pickle relish and ¼ cup sweet pickle juice is popular. And you can top with grated cheese (either Cheddar or Parmesan). One friend adds pimentos and pecans. Many folks include bacon, anywhere from 4 strips up to 1 pound, fried crisp, chopped, and stirred into the salad, often with some reserved to sprinkle over for garnish.

It's really very versatile -- you can add whatever you want -- and an excellent way to use up cornbread.

*Bump* I just found this topic, as a result of my first effort at making cornbread. Thanks for this recipe, @Jaymes.  The salad is mixed and mingling.  Even the just-mixed version tastes good.

20180214_125912.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

It's always so fun to know somebody tried one of your recipes & liked it. Thanks for letting me know!

This is a great salad recipe to take to potlucks. Intetesting, tasty, and a never-fail conversation-starter. A real family favorite. 

• Like 3

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.