• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yo LaBan!

Holly Moore

p.s. if you go, get the rabbit cacciatore.  it's awesome.  the tripe appetizer is too.

(edited for clarity)

Rabbit cacciatore... anyone else serve this, do you know? I don't think I've had this since I ate coelho a cacadora (the Portuguese take on this dish), as a kid...

p.s. if you go, get the rabbit cacciatore.  it's awesome.  the tripe appetizer is too.

(edited for clarity)

Rabbit cacciatore... anyone else serve this, do you know? I don't think I've had this since I ate coelho a cacadora (the Portuguese take on this dish), as a kid...

I had it at Gnocchi (on Passyunk near South) a couple years ago, but i don't recall if it was a special or on the menu. Or if that place is even still there!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

(edited for clarity)

I had it at Gnocchi (on Passyunk near South) a couple years ago, but i don't recall if it was a special or on the menu. Or if that place is even still there!

Gnocchi is definitely still there. Can't speak for the Rabbit Cacciatore.

Sounds yummy though! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Can somebody clue me in as to exactly where the Italian Mkt is?

According to the Italian Market website, it's on 9th between Wharton and Fitzwater.

Fitzwater, IMO, is stretching it a bit, as the blocks above Christian are mostly residential, but if they're going to claim Sarcone's as part of the market, they have to stretch it a bit. This also ropes in Ralph's and ?Mezza Notte? --the place at Catherine that was once called Ristorante Longano...

Excellent hoagies and bread to be found at Sarcone's; cheese at DiBruno Bros.; and Vietnamese/Mexican food along Washington Ave (see above posts).

There are still enough Italian merchants to justify the historic name, but the rising presence of Mexican/Latin American and Asian businesses is turning the Italian Market into more of a United Nations of food. Now if we could just convince Amare Solomon to open an in-town outpost of Dahlak on 9th Street--or maybe convince someone else to open an African food market there...

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3