• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Enjoying food while losing weight

I forgot to mention that Peter Reinhart has a relatively new book out titled The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking: 80 Low-Carb Recipes that Offer Solutions for Celiac Disease, Diabetes.

There are a lot of great low-sugar/low-starch recipes in the book, especially if you like nuts......there's a lot of nut flour used in the recipes.

I'm not much of a dessert fiend either, but I do get the desire to binge of a dessert or two from time to time.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I forgot to mention that Peter Reinhart has a relatively new book out titled The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking: 80 Low-Carb Recipes that Offer Solutions for Celiac Disease, Diabetes.

There are a lot of great low-sugar/low-starch recipes in the book, especially if you like nuts......there's a lot of nut flour used in the recipes.

I'm not much of a dessert fiend either, but I do get the desire to binge of a dessert or two from time to time.

Thanks, I will check this out!

Where do you purchase nut flour? The grocery store in the big city has a selection of Bob's Red Mill products and I THINK I saw some there, but can you get it cheaper elsewhere?

I use blanched almond flour the most.

I get that from Honeyville Grain.

They fairly frequently offer 15% off an entire order if you get on their email list.

There a big difference in the quality and consistency of blanched almond flour....much of it, including Bob's Red Mill's, is more of a meal than a flour while Honeyville's is consistently finer.

Other nut and seed flours I either make in a Krups electric coffee mill or buy from Netrition.com or Vine.com.

Typically, it's cheaper to grind your own.

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

My husband and I started a medically supervised weight loss program in January. He has lost 95 pounds to date (14 more to go) while I have lost 20, not nearly as much but I didn't have as much excess weight to start with. We too used MyFitnessPay to record, in our case, calories, not carbs. We both love pasta and have been buying pasta from Fiber Gourmet, link below, as it has 40% fewer calories than traditional pasta. Because of the added fiber, it is more filling and therefore we eat less of it than the regular stuff. Just thought i would make the calorie counters aware of this pasta.

http://www.fibergourmet.com/Default.aspx

• Like 1

My husband and I started a medically supervised weight loss program in January. He has lost 95 pounds to date (14 more to go) while I have lost 20, not nearly as much but I didn't have as much excess weight to start with. We too used MyFitnessPay to record, in our case, calories, not carbs. We both love pasta and have been buying pasta from Fiber Gourmet, link below, as it has 40% fewer calories than traditional pasta. Because of the added fiber, it is more filling and therefore we eat less of it than the regular stuff. Just thought i would make the calorie counters aware of this pasta.

http://www.fibergourmet.com/Default.aspx

BUT how does it taste? We have tried various things instead of regular pasta...and I just don't find them the same. In my case, I'll just have real pasta every now and then, instead of any of the other noodles or vegetables instead. So far...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My husband and I started a medically supervised weight loss program in January. He has lost 95 pounds to date (14 more to go) while I have lost 20, not nearly as much but I didn't have as much excess weight to start with. We too used MyFitnessPay to record, in our case, calories, not carbs. We both love pasta and have been buying pasta from Fiber Gourmet, link below, as it has 40% fewer calories than traditional pasta. Because of the added fiber, it is more filling and therefore we eat less of it than the regular stuff. Just thought i would make the calorie counters aware of this pasta.http://www.fibergourmet.com/Default.aspx

BUT how does it taste? We have tried various things instead of regular pasta...and I just don't find them the same. In my case, I'll just have real pasta every now and then, instead of any of the other noodles or vegetables instead. So far...

It tastes like regular pasta, except that it tastes a bit heavier, if that makes sense. The ingredients are enriched durum semolina flour, modified wheat starch ( resistant starch, a source of fibre), wheat gluten.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to get on the 17-Day Diet again before Xmas. It's been a slippery-slope since our travels to Asia this past spring.

For tomorrow's lunch, I made my Mock Curry Chicken Fried Rice with grated cauliflower:

Mock Curry Chicken Fried Rice1747.jpg

For supper tonight, I used part of the steamed grated cauliflower along with steamed chicken breast with smashed fermented black bean sauce. Blanched gai lan completed the meal. Forgot to take a picture, but it was satisfying. Had a large mug of hot water before supper and during supper. Dessert was plain yogurt with Caramel Krisda sweetner.

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

November 15th was my one month anniversary. I weighed and have lost 11 lbs. I remember when I was in high school I could lose 11 lbs. by skipping a meal. (not really, but I sure lost weight a heck of a lot faster back then.)

• Like 3

Congratulations, Shelby!

Last night, I rubbed chicken breasts with a little dab of olive oil and commercial Cajun spice. These were grilled on a non-stick pan. Eaten with cauliflower "steak" and steamed carrots. A large side order of sliced jalapeno peppers added more ooomph. :rolleyes:

Seared Chicken Breast & Cauliflower Steak1751.jpg

For snacking, I made kale chips. Substituted Pam spray for the olive oil. It's much easier than trying to distribute the olive oil! Used the Cajun spice for seasoning. I was a little too heavy-handed with the seasoning, but they were still good. Got me to drink up my quota of 8 glasses of water. :laugh:

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I have a head of cauliflower. Your "steaks" sound good. I need to try that.

I. Am. Tired. Of. Salad.

But, I am still on the wagon. It's been a hard to stay on the diet this week for some reason, but I have.

One new thing that I bought is some K-cups that are sugar free apple cider and caramel apple cider. They have the fake sugar taste, but they aren't bad for sweet cravings. Plus, the hot drink fills me up a bit. They are 10 calories a piece.

Shelby, congratulations on your weight loss! I really admire people who can change their body.

I can understand you feeling sick of salad. I love vegetables but especially in winter I see that salad could become a bit unsatisfying. Perhaps you need some more variety? These are some salads that I enjoy; I hope that you'll be able to try a few with what you have available:

Diced tomato and cucumber, black olives, cannelini beans, red onion, oregano and mint, olive oil and red wine vinegar, black pepper

Brown lentils cooked with mirepoix of carrot, onion and celery over grilled romaine

Crushed brown lentils cooked with cumin, onion and sauteed mushrooms parsley and baby spinach

Grated carrot, avocado and chick peas on baby gems, lemon juice and olive oil

Artichoke hearts, spinach sauteed with onion and nutmeg, broad beans over iceberg

Grated beetroot, mange tout, peas and soya beans on rocket with mint

Green beans cooked with tomato and garlic over radicchio

Shaved fennel, orange segments and black olives over radicchio

Chick peas, cooked beetroot and cooked broccoli with parsley over romaine

Sweetcorn, tomatoes, black beans and avocado with coriander over iceberg

Grated carrot, chopped celery and raw mushrooms

I like to put toasted seeds on them too but they are quite high in calories.

Otherwise, perhaps it's time to switch to cooked vegetables or soups? As long as you can season them in different ways these could provide a nice change from salad.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)
  • Like 1

Shelby, congratulations on your weight loss! I really admire people who can change their body.

I can understand you feeling sick of salad. I love vegetables but especially in winter I see that salad could become a bit unsatisfying. Perhaps you need some more variety? These are some salads that I enjoy; I hope that you'll be able to try a few with what you have available:

Diced tomato and cucumber, black olives, cannelini beans, red onion, oregano and mint, olive oil and red wine vinegar, black pepper

Brown lentils cooked with mirepoix of carrot, onion and celery over grilled romaine

Crushed brown lentils cooked with cumin, onion and sauteed mushrooms parsley and baby spinach

Grated carrot, avocado and chick peas on baby gems, lemon juice and olive oil

Artichoke hearts, spinach sauteed with onion and nutmeg, broad beans over iceberg

Grated beetroot, mange tout, peas and soya beans on rocket with mint

Green beans cooked with tomato and garlic over radicchio

Shaved fennel, orange segments and black olives over radicchio

Chick peas, cooked beetroot and cooked broccoli with parsley over romaine

Sweetcorn, tomatoes, black beans and avocado with coriander over iceberg

Grated carrot, chopped celery and raw mushrooms

I like to put toasted seeds on them too but they are quite high in calories.

Otherwise, perhaps it's time to switch to cooked vegetables or soups? As long as you can season them in different ways these could provide a nice change from salad.

Thank you for all of the great ideas!!!!! Yes, the salad was ok--especially when I had a few tomatoes left from the garden…but now…..very bland and boring. These will really help me liven it up. I actually do use some toasted pine nuts or almonds in salad from time to time. I know they are high cal, but I like them and nuts are good in other ways for you.

Good idea about the soup. I'm going to make a vegetable soup this afternoon for tonight. I'll make a big one so I can have leftovers for breakfast/lunch. Even if I throw in a few diced potatoes, I can pick around those.

A garden salad is kind of my "crutch". I eat one before dinner every night --or most every night--to fill me up so I don't over-eat the main course.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

A garden salad is kind of my "crutch". I eat one before dinner every night --or most every night--to fill me up so I don't over-eat the main course.

That's a great idea - I'm sure you can do the same with your soup. Actually I've read that radishes are a good low-carb alternative to potatoes in soup, but I've never tried it.

• Like 1

Instead of raw vegetables for salad, I sometimes mix lightly blanched cauliflower, carrots, celery, and broccoli in olive oil, vinegar, and Montreal Steak spice.

I use purple top turnips as a substitute for potato. Peel, chunk and boil until just tender. Drain well, sautee in non-stick pan with a light spray of PAM and again, Montreal Steak Spice. Cook them slowly and I can get a "crust" on the cut sides so it ends up by pan-fried potatoes.

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Shelby, normally I avoid trying to offer dietary suggestions, but I started moderate-low carb diet a couple weeks before you and feel some sort of kindred spirit. It's remarkable that we have had similar progress. I've lost 13 lbs. Most of it is around the waist as I have dropped two pants sizes. It's quite a difference and I can see it. I've never had much luck getting below my usual weight. Now I'm close to my ideal weight.

The thing is, though, that I am not restricting calories. I eat as many as I want and all the plants I want. I try to get 70 g of fiber at least, so that's a few plants. Those, a cup of beans, and specific fruits are 99% of my carbs. Only whole grains as special treats.

It sounds like you are worrying about calories and trying stuff like eating a salad to fill up before dinner (whoever first said that works played one of the cruelest pranks in history). Things I've read say that you should not feel deprived on a low carb diet. I don't and eat whenever I am hungry. As much as I want. I have wine with dinner most nights, and enjoy bourbon and scotch. No restrictions on the amount.

The only way to lose weight, of course, is to eat fewer calories, and I have been. It's something my body is doing itself, not something I am making it do. There is no willpower involved. My understanding of all I've read is that it should be this way. I find it to be very remarkable that it works.

The hardest part for me was opening myself up to unlimited meat, eggs, nuts, cheese, good oils, etc. that I needed to satiate my hunger. But by having done so I am actually eating less of them. Last night I had 8 oz fish sprinkled with parm and two roasted crowns of broccoli (yes, more than a lb of broccoli) and was full and satisfied all night. Before this, that would have never filled me up, or I'd have a unhealthy snack before bed. I used to laugh at sample diet menus that suggested that would be a satisfying dinner.

Anyway, congrats and best wishes. Again, kindred spirit and all that, I just thought I'd share a bit.

• Like 1

I have to second what Ttogull said, since I've also found that when I cut most of the carbs from my diet, I don't have to think about the amount I'm eating, it self-limits (I've read a fair amount of research on this, and have a good idea of the reasons this is the case, but I'll spare you the hard-core geekery), and the weight comes off. I can eat all the greens I want, and a bit of fruit, and I'm good.

If a salad is boring me, I'll crumble some bacon over it, or put pretty much anything on it that doesn't include carbs (for me, this part is easy, since I loathe creamy and sweet dressings).

In a way, the fact that I tolerate many carbs (particularly tubers and grains, and anything made from them) poorly makes it easier (the followup of swelling joints/congestion and runny nose is no fun at all), but they're also my favourite foods, and the one thing I can easily binge on, once I take even a couple of bites.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Hi Ttogull! Wow, great job on the weight loss! Trust me, I know that every pound gone feels like a milestone. It's comforting to know that others out there are dieting along with me.

I thank you for all of your good advice.

Broccoli fills me up nicely, too. I am almost out of it. I need to make the long trip to the grocery store on Monday if the weather is good enough.

My salad trick has worked for me so far….maybe mainly because a lot of my food intake is because my brain wants it, not my stomach. Nothing more cozy to me than to sit down to a plate of spaghetti with a good glass of wine and a good book. Now, I'm re-programming to just sit down with a good book and a salad lol. Oh and I'm really not skipping the wine. I've cut back, though.

I have been watching my calorie in-take because I'm not completely carb-free. Evening meals contain a few carbs so I figured I better do a mixture of both watching calories and carbs.

I have to second what Ttogull said, since I've also found that when I cut most of the carbs from my diet, I don't have to think about the amount I'm eating, it self-limits (I've read a fair amount of reasearch on this, and have a good idea of the reasons this is the case, but I'll spare you the hard-core geekery), and the weight comes off. I can eat alll the greens I want, and a bit of fruit, and I'm good.

If a salad is boring me, I'll crumble some bacon over it, or put pretty much anything on it that doesn't include carbs (for me, this part is easy, since I loathe creamy and sweet dressings).

In a way, the fact that I tolerate many carbs (particularly tubers, and grains and anything made from them) poorly makes it easier (the followup of swelling joints/congestion and runny nose is no fun at all), but they're also my favourite foods, and the one thing I can easily binge on, once I take even a couple of bites.

You know, since I'm not eating near as much pasta and bread, I notice a difference in how I feel. Not near as bloaty and less acid reflux by far. I don't know if it's because of less carbs or just less everything, though.

I don't really care for sweet dressings, either. But, I sure would like a big, fat cinnamon roll about right now lol.

Hi Ttogull! Wow, great job on the weight loss! Trust me, I know that every pound gone feels like a milestone. It's comforting to know that others out there are dieting along with me.

I have been watching my calorie in-take because I'm not completely carb-free. Evening meals contain a few carbs so I figured I better do a mixture of both watching calories and carbs.

For me, every pound is a surprise, sort of. I am also keeping track in myfitnesspal sometimes - particularly at the beginning. What struck me was that even without trying to, I'd eat within 50 calories of what the app gave me for my goal most days.

I'd forgotten, but there was one day I lost control. My wife has been very supportive, but she wanted to go to a restaurant that serves only pasta. I couldn't refuse. I had lasagna. Not even a big piece. Had it with tons of veggies. That night I ate a ton of ice cream before bed. Couldn't stop. I am not even a big fan of ice cream! Carbs are like crack!

Add me to the list on reduced (actually gone) acid reflux and bloating. That happened forms when I started eating more plants and focusing on fiber, which was before the carb restriction. Other good stuff too.

As far as food prep and cooking go, I've started eating every bit of the plants when feasible. I eat the whole cauliflower, even the green leaves (they get crispy in the oven). I eat all but the roots of leeks. Everything but the seeds and stem of apples. All of the asparagus. Jeff leach is a big proponent of this at the http://humanfoodproject.com for health reasons. I used to compost, but now I eat most of it! It's surprisingly good, and I don't understand why, for instance, apple cores and dark green leek leaves are often discarded.

• Like 1

You know, since I'm not eating near as much pasta and bread, I notice a difference in how I feel. Not near as bloaty and less acid reflux by far. I don't know if it's because of less carbs or just less everything, though.

About two years ago I determined to see if I could lower my cholesterol to avoid going on drugs, so I changed my diet by eliminating fatty meats (except as an occasional treat) all dairy except for modest amounts of 1% milk, limiting butter to morning toast, and eating only an egg or two a week. I didn't lose weight, although that wasn't my primary intention, but I did lower my cholesterol by a lot. Then about a year ago I had a terrible stomach virus and I just couldn't shake the after effects. To try and settle my gut, I cut out wheat completely. I still ate lots of rice, corn products, barley and most other grains and in no way limited carbs. I ate fruit, potatoes, etc. I did not cut out sugar, and ate plenty of dark chocolate, because I just had to have something good around. I lost weight steadily for the last year and felt better as well. In fact, I lost a little more than was good for me, without an across the board diet, and only by limiting animal fats and wheat.

It may not work for everyone but there is something to be said for not going low-carb, just going wheatless. I'm sure everyone is different, but it may be worth a try if the though of giving up all carbs makes you miserable. Yes once in a blue moon I cheat and have pizza. But restaurants are not hard to navigate if you have Asian options that don't put cheese and bread and wheat pasta on the front burner.

• Like 1

We're definitely all different.

I'm carbohydrate intolerant, carbohydrate in any form beyond about 40-50 grams per day causes all sorts of problems for me....anxiety, depression, high-triglycerides, fluid retention, hyperglycemia, metabolic syndrome, etc.

:laugh: Carbs are like crack! Yes!

I've never tried eating the leaves on the cauliflower. Thanks for the tip.

I had no idea until I started growing my own collard greens, cauliflower, and broccoli. To this novice farmer, they all look alike until I see something that looks like I'd see in a grocery store. Couldn't remember which was which. Google says cauliflower and broccoli leaves are edible, so I ate them all. Very tasty. I really don't understand why they are not available in stores.

My homegrown broccoli and cauliflower are only slightly larger than golf balls, so leaves are pretty much all I've got.

But anyway, a bit of oil and a 425 degree oven make cauliflower leaves a very special crispy treat.

• Like 1