• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Enjoying food while losing weight

This was another concoction with ground turkey:

1 can of Alymer's Diced Tomato with Red Chili Pepper simmered with Italian herbs. I dded a small can of tomato sauce as well to make a pasta sauce. Ground turkey was browned with diced onion and herbs. I sliced an eggplant, salted it to remove some of the liquid and to soften it. These were fried in the non-stick pan with a spray of Pam, and used as pasta replacement. The whole lot was layered into lasagne with a sprinkle of grated parmasan cheese, topped with slices of fat-free mozz. I liked it, but hubby misses real pasta. :laugh:

turkey and marinara935.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

After years of struggling with my weight, I hit my nadir last summer. Turned 45 and 234 lbs and felt like I was falling apart physically, and that my lack of energy and growing health issues were undermining my relationship with my children (13 and 6).

I was finally in the frame of mind to change my attitude, take the long view - as well as the responsibility for sorting this out.

I have been on the Dukan diet since September - low fat, high protein and very low carb. What I like about it, is that it isn't about just dieting until you reach your goal weight, it's a structured three-phase plan that gradually reintroduces certain foods in a very controlled way. it's easy to be skeptical about diets when you've been on as many as I have over the years, but this feels right at the moment, and I am in a good place mentally.

To date, I've lost 49 lbs. I joined the gym at the beginning of this month and am doing aquafit twice a week, plus Pilates.

If nothing else, this plan is helping me eat mindfully, rather than every meal needing to be a gastronomical delight. We'll see: so far, so good.

[Hi gingerpeachy,

Took a quick look at the Dukan diet. If it works for you, then great. We each seem to settle on different configurations to get where we need to go.

Congratulations on your excellent loss to date and you go, girl.

Eating mindfully. That's a good thought.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've been using Simply Eggwhites (comes in a carton) done as an omelet with curry powder, diced onions, mushrooms, and sweet peppers. If I have fresh herbs, especially dill and cilantro, I'd chop some of that up and cook in a non-stick pan. As fat-free mozzerella cheese is allowed, I sometimes add a slice then fold the omelet over. Salsa goes well with this as a lunch.

2omelet877.jpg

I use grated cauliflower a lot to replace rice.

mockfriedrice1012.jpg

Dejah - good looking egg white scramble. I find that they carry a flavors well and are quite filling. I am currently enamored of egg whites with onions, spinach, mushrooms, sausage and a bit of feta. Can you elaborate on how you prep the "mock rice cauliflower"? Thanks.

Heidi: Cauliflower rice is very easy. Other's say use only florets, but I just take a big chunk of cauliflower, hold it by the stem and grate on the largest-holes side of a grater until it gets too close to my finger tips for comfort. You can also do this with a food processor, but I find the grater easier for clean-up.

I grate into a shallow Corning ware casserol. DO NOT ADD WATER. Cover and microwave for 6 minutes on high on my microwave. I stir at half way and may sprinkle in a bit of salt. It has the texture of steamed rice - "fluffy".

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Been doing ground turkey burgers lately - with chopped onion, a bit of egg white, and crumbles of low-fat feta cheese mixed in. The pattie with Cajun rub was fairly thick, pan seared in 1.5 tsp. olice oil, then baked in 400F oven until cooked temp. It stayed juicy and flavourful. Tonight I had Shanghai bok choy stir-fried in a little olive oil and fat-free, no-salt-added chicken stock, ginger and garlic, brocoslaw with reduced calorie dressing, and steamed cauliflower topped with melted fat-free mozz slice and crushed chili flakes. Very satisfying meal. Dessert was 4 oz. of fat-free plaiun Greek yogurt with half packet of caramel flavoured Krisda. I love this new flavour!

fetaturkeyburger1110.jpg

I split a turkey fillet, rubbed with Cajun seasoning, seared and baked for hubby. He had it on a slab of pumpernickle bread.

turkeyfilletbaked1107.jpg

On the 13th day of the 17-Day Diet and down 8 lbs.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dessert was 4 oz. of fat-free plaiun Greek yogurt with half packet of caramel flavoured Krisda. I love this new flavour!

On the 13th day of the 17-Day Diet and down 8 lbs.

First of all congratulations are in order. Well done.

Secondly...Krisda? I've never heard of it before. Must phone the local bulk food store and ask. You obviously buy this in Canada. Any more comments on this product???

Yep, they carry Krisda, but not the flavored ones. Oh well.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, I am at where I was before in terms of weight loss - recupping from Xmas. :wink: At least it's coming off again.

I got the Caramel Krisda at Wal-Mart, so you may want to check there. Our Safeway is the only other source for regular Krisda, and their prices are higher. I like this stevia product better than any other one - a little more expensive, but worth it! Of course it's great in coffee too! I am glad to be off the aspertime...

Krisda1114.jpg

I also bought myself a double-wall beverage cup. It holds 12 oz. and keeps my hot water hot. Otherwise, it cools off before I can down the 8 oz! This is the thermos I have, and it holds my 8 glasses of water plus enough for my hot water and lemon juice in the morning. I make sure it's empty before I go to bed.

cupthermos1115.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Christmas has got to be the most difficult time of the year to hold one's weight.

Thanks for all the information. I'll try Wal Mart's next time we are near one.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Picked up a beautilfu salmon fillet this afternoon. This is the way I used to cook salmon. Not sure why I switched to steaks, which I find fishy no matter how I cooked it. I used to BBQ this wrapped in banana leaf in the summer. In the winter, I do it in foil in the oven. The fillet is sandwiched between layers of onion, cilantro, lemongrass, ginger, lime slices, chili peppers, salt, pepper, and olive oil. This was silky and moist, no fishy taste at all. Hubby got rice with his. I had tofu shiritaki noodles done in a non-stick pan with a dribble of tamari soy.

2salmon1121.jpg

3salmon1129.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Looks good Dejah -

I also enjoy baking fish in a closed vessel or foil packet with lots of aromatics.

Over time I have come to seriously enjoy the shiritaki noodles; both the plain and the ones with tofu. I think as I expand my food horizons I am enjoying the play of different textures and these products add a unique chew/slither.

I picked up a super firm, fresh, snow white cauliflower the other day for $1 that was just under the size of a soccer ball. After roasting some with garlic and olive oil I did a riff on your "cauliflower rice". I chunked it up, sprinkled with chicken powder, and cooked in a pan with a tight fitting lid and just a bit of water until soft. I hate to boil veggies and toss the water- feels like I am tossing nutrients. Then I applied the potato masher leaving some small chunks. This has been lovely as a filling and tasty sidedish. I am also currently having a love affair with the young radish green kimchi at my local Korean market. The cauliflower paired well with the kimchi and some shrimp sauted with garlic and lemon.

Dejah, I have always felt/found that cooking salmon over hot, dry heat (BBQ, grill, frying pan) brings out the oil and consequently a strong fish(y) taste. Put less subtly, I hate grilled salmon whether fillet or steak. However, when poached or cooked in foil in the oven, an identical piece of salmon will be sweet and gentle and completely without the fishiness. Just my opinion...

eGullet member #80.

Thanks for that information, Margaret. Now I know!

I'll have to try your riff on the cauli-rice, Heidi. I've been eating SO much cauliflower - in salads and cooked, I am having shiritaki noodles for a change. I haven't had any for a couple of months as I have to go to Winnipeg to buy them. Then today, I saw several packages at our local Safeway - in the gluten-free section! A couple were in fettucini shape, so tomorrow, it'll be ground turkey chili with marinara sauce over shiritaki noodles.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I can't say I'm eating salad for supper, but I do find that the more I increase my vegetable intake the less bad stuff I can eat! So I generally fill up half my plate with kale, broccoli rabe or swiss chard, etc. It does help. But I still need to do better, and cut down on the sugar. Thanks for the inspiration, everyone. And Darienne, glad you're still finding recipes you like on my blog!

• 1 year later...

BUMP

I'm on a mission to lose weight. I turn 40 October 10, 2014 and I want to be where I used to be weight-wise. I'm starting now because I want to have plenty of time to reach my goal. I figure if I put this in writing, I have to stick to my plan lol. In high school I weighed 95-100 lbs. I don't know if I can get that low again, but I'll be happy at 115-120. When I reach my goal, I'm treating myself. Maybe a trip somewhere. I haven't been anywhere for years. Maybe Vegas.....Anyway..... I'm making a lifestyle change (eating-wise). It seems like I'm always either losing weight or gaining weight because once I lose it, I go back to my old, carb-laden ways. Yes, folks, I am addicted to carbs. Or I was, I should say. When I was younger, I ate pasta morning, noon and night. I always thought that was ok. After all, there are no fat grams listed on the pasta package right? HA. Now, I'm wiser and know those sneaky carbs turn right to fat.

I began on October 15, 2013. I weighed myself a few days ago and have lost 10 pounds in 21 days. Thank GOD because I have been trying so hard and would have been really depressed if the scale didn't show results. I have decided not to weigh very often, though, because it might discourage me. Instead I'm going by how my clothes are fitting and how I feel.

My plan is as follows:

No carbs or very very few carbs during the day. For our evening meal, I am trying to avoid carbs, but if we have sandwiches, I will have 1/2 a sandwich...or have the filling inside a lettuce wrap etc. I am eating a TON of salad. Salad, salad salad. Salad before eating the main meal at dinner. I will not, however, give up my wine. Yes, I know. I don't need to be told how carby it is. I can't give up everything or I will become a bitch lol. Disclaimer: I post pictures in the Dinner Thread. You will see carbs in these pictures. The carbs you see may or may not have been eaten by me. Most likely it will be my husbands plate, but I will be eating SOME carbs at night.

Exercise. LOTS of it. A minimum of 45 mins a day on elliptical machine. More often than not I'm doing about an hour and a half. NO SKIPPING exercise.

I am keeping track of food intake and exercise on an app on my iPhone called MyFitnessPal. It's free and it's damn handy. I put in everything I am eating throughout the day and all exercise (calories burned). I am trying to stay at 1200 calories and day. Obviously, the longer I exercise, the more I can eat :) or drink lol.

My fridge is stuffed with veggies....cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts etc. I need to look up the trick about using cauliflower as rice. Hmmm....might need to buy a ricer for that huh.

A few last thoughts:

Sweet stuff. I've never been much of a dessert fiend. Give me a plate of spaghetti and meatballs any day over dessert. Well, except for my Grammy's cherry pie, but you get what I mean. Anyway, now that the GREAT DIET has started. I. WANT. DESSERT. Sigh. The only thing I've found is sugar free jello (yuck yuck yuck, but when one is desperate, one sacrifices) and sugar free hot chocolate.

Shirataki Miracle Noodles. Had my first taste just now for lunch. Made a little broth using dashi, sriracha, soy and nori. Put the noodles in. Not bad. Not bad at all. Best thing? I input my meal into my app. Only 5 calories from the nori. Minimal from the rest. I think these are best in Asian type dishes, but maybe I could put spaghetti sauce on them and try. Noodles were a bit....chewy?? Maybe I didn't cook them long enough.

So, there ya go. That's my plan. Let's see if I can do it.

• Like 1

Shelby, if you have never read the South Beach Diet book, I would recommend it since it appears to be in the same direction you are headed. You might pick up some helpful pointers there. The actual text of the diet is only about a 1/3 of the book. I pick up decent copies in thrift stores to give to anyone who is interested because it has helped me more than anything else I have read. I am a failed Life Member of WW, by the way. Also, my primary care physician has heartily approved of me eating this particular diet; your doctor may have a different viewpoint.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Shelby - did you use the tofu-shirataki or the plain? I prefer them in soups and often choose them over wheat or rice based noodles because of the texture - definitely slurpable! If you want a pasta sub for something like marinara sauce I would point you to spaghetti squash or zucchini in long noodley shreds made with a specialized peeler or on the mandoline.

• Like 1

Shelby - did you use the tofu-shirataki or the plain? I prefer them in soups and often choose them over wheat or rice based noodles because of the texture - definitely slurpable! If you want a pasta sub for something like marinara sauce I would point you to spaghetti squash or zucchini in long noodley shreds made with a specialized peeler or on the mandoline.

The shirataki noodles are the plain ones, not the tofu kind. Are the tofu kind better? I chose these because I thought the tofu ones had calories. Need to research that more.

I actually did get one of those thingys that spiral cut zucchini over the summer. It was great when we had squash coming out of our ears. I used a half and half combo of veggie noodles and real pasta. It was pretty good, actually. I will have to get some from the store next time.

The shirataki noodles are the plain ones, not the tofu kind. Are the tofu kind better? I chose these because I thought the tofu ones had calories. Need to research that more.

Yes the ones with tofu have a few more calories. I generally get the plain ones and also use the blocks of konnyaku on occasion.(see our big topic here http://forums.egullet.org/topic/17712-konnyaku-the-topic/) Of course I am surrounded by large Japanese markets so it is not an effort to acquire. Sometimes I will pick up the tofu blended ones in the fettucine shape when making a "pasta primavera" type of dish - more of a chew.

Yes the ones with tofu have a few more calories. I generally get the plain ones and also use the blocks of konnyaku on occasion.(see our big topic here http://forums.egullet.org/topic/17712-konnyaku-the-topic/) Of course I am surrounded by large Japanese markets so it is not an effort to acquire. Sometimes I will pick up the tofu blended ones in the fettucine shape when making a "pasta primavera" type of dish - more of a chew.

heidih,

Like Shelby, I am also exploring shirataki noodles but a whole package is too much for a single meal. How do you treat the package if you only intend to use half? The non tofu ones that don't require refrigeration until opened and the tofu type that must always be refrigerated? Do you divide before rinsing? Any help will be appreciated.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

heidih,

Like Shelby, I am also exploring shirataki noodles but a whole package is too much for a single meal. How do you treat the package if you only intend to use half? The non tofu ones that don't require refrigeration until opened and the tofu type that must always be refrigerated? Do you divide before rinsing? Any help will be appreciated.

I take two routes when not using the whole package. My general method is to pre-boil (after rinsing to get rid of the fishy smell) in water with a couple glugs of soy sauce for about 5 - 10 minutes. Drain/rinse, remove the portion to be saved and store in a container or ziploc and scissor the rest for that day's use. Alternatively I drain and rinse the packet and put the half to be stored in a container and fill with water. As with storing tofu I pour off the water and replace with new every other day or so.

A warning from my personal experiences - they do not freeze well at all. I made some glorious soups with kabocha, coconut milk, greens, mushrooms and more which included the shiritaki and froze leftovers. I did this more than once and the result was always broken down oddly textured noodles. Since then I store the extra (to be frozen) soup first, add the noodles to that day's portion, and use new noodles if desired when reheating.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of wine.

Dry wines are actually fairly low in carbohydrate, especially dry whites, averaging about 1 gram of carbohydrate or less per ounce, about the same as many cheeses.

For dessert.....do you like cheesecake? Low-carb cheesecake is my go to dessert, it's great made with or without a chopped nut crust.

I also make quick breads from almond flour and farmer cheese, several different varieties.....they're great as a dessert stand-in.

Low-carb fudge is another great treat....Baker's unsweetened chocolate, coconut oil, cream cheese, real vanilla extract and an alternative sweetener.

The zucchini 'noodles' mentioned by heidih really are great...I was surprised how well I like them as a sub for various real noodles.

In my opinion, the biggest bummer when it comes to low-sugar/low-starch eating is the lack of a really good sandwich bread alternative.

I make savory quick breads with the almond flour and farmer cheese mentioned above, but they lack the springiness and mouth feel of real sandwich bread.

You can get a lot of good ideas for low-sugar/low-starch dishes on the low-carb forums.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Kelp noodles are worth a try, I like them far better than the shirataki.

They're not bad in pho and other soups.

I can get them locally for about $5.50 a pound.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

heidih,Like Shelby, I am also exploring shirataki noodles but a whole package is too much for a single meal. How do you treat the package if you only intend to use half? The non tofu ones that don't require refrigeration until opened and the tofu type that must always be refrigerated? Do you divide before rinsing? Any help will be appreciated.

I take two routes when not using the whole package. My general method is to pre-boil (after rinsing to get rid of the fishy smell) in water with a couple glugs of soy sauce for about 5 - 10 minutes. Drain/rinse, remove the portion to be saved and store in a container or ziploc and scissor the rest for that day's use. Alternatively I drain and rinse the packet and put the half to be stored in a container and fill with water. As with storing tofu I pour off the water and replace with new every other day or so.A warning from my personal experiences - they do not freeze well at all. I made some glorious soups with kabocha, coconut milk, greens, mushrooms and more which included the shiritaki and froze leftovers. I did this more than once and the result was always broken down oddly textured noodles. Since then I store the extra (to be frozen) soup first, add the noodles to that day's portion, and use new noodles if desired when reheating.

Thank you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog