• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2005 Roux Scholarship

The final six have been announced for the national finals, to be held in London on the 4th of April.

Two out of eight chefs progressed from the Northern regional final in Birmingham; four out of eleven from the Southern regional final in London.

The press release states that the standard was high this year, and I can certainly assure you that this is no cliche.

Robert Thompson, head chef under Germaine Schwab at the 5 AA-rosette / 2* Michelin Winteringham Fields, thoroughly deserved to go through with his crab brochette, and showed a dab hand with the mystery dessert box - his ice-cream was one of the best I've ever tasted.

Matt Tomkinson, junior sous at the 3-AA rosette / 1* Michelin Ockenden Manor, cooked a simple crab lasagne with parmesan twists and an avocado salad. I thought it was a brave move to present this as a four-portion single lasagne - memorably referred to by Michel Roux Sr as a 'mama dish' - but it proved a winner.

Both these chefs from the Northern final have Roux Scholarship pedigrees. It's Matt's second appearance in the last six, having won through last year, and his group executive chef is Martin Hadden, a Roux Scholar. Robert is the younger brother of Patrick Thompson, a Roux Scholar and sometime eGulleteer.

As opposed to both your correspondent and Matt, who become too old to compete again next year, Robert enjoyed his first year of eligibility for the competition; the mind boggles when you realise he has seven further attempts at the scholarship.

Coming through from the Southern final are :

Gary Chang June Sing, demi CdP at Bank Restaurant

Bryn Williams, sous at the Orrery (under Scholar Andre Garrett)

Alan Irwin, sous at Chapter One,

Ben Webb, sous at Cliveden House.

... but I wasn't there - perhaps another eGulleteer was?

Edited by culinary bear (log)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

I wasn't able to attend the Southern regional finals, but will be there for the big day. One question: how come Matt Tomkinson competed in the Northern heat? Ockenden Manor is about 20 minutes from where I live in Brighton.

Neither he nor I have a Scooby. Someone in charge has a healthy sense of humour.

Enjoy the canapes; the main reason I wanted to get through to the nationals. :)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Allan, can you tell a little bit about how the competition went for you - things you thought you did well or things that went wrong. Hilarous anecdotes also welcomed.

It's funny you should mention that... I kept a diary and plan to write it up for the Daily Gullet, if it makes a reappearance.

Hilarious anecdotes included, bien sur.

Matt is originally from Manchester - perhaps that contributed to his temporary banishment to the northern heat?

Allan Brown

One question: how come Matt Tomkinson competed in the Northern heat? Ockenden Manor is  about 20 minutes from where I live in Brighton.

To answer my own question, the Southern heats were over subscribed, so they moved some entrants to the Northern heats I assume to make the judging a bit easier.

• 3 weeks later...

I look forward to it. My mole reports back that the madeleines were truly excellent...

I got a text from one of the Times entourage, a very good friend, thus : "Matt just won!". He has no idea where he's going for his stage yet; indeed, he has no idea what day it is, given his hangover.

Matt was the competitor I talked most to during the regionals - we were drawn in adjoining stations - and he's very definitely the sort of "chef's chef" you'd like to work with.

Allan Brown

Allan - you're mentioned in the literature as one of the impressive regional finalists. Yet there's a scandalous typographical error where they say you're merely a nipperish 29? C'est ne pas possible, maitre! :raz:

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I'm off to Ockenden Manor for lunch tomorrow. Never eaten in a starred restaurant before so very much looking forward to it.

Excellent stuff - enjoy yourself and please report back as I have been considering that place for a while.

Be warned though my friend- it's a slippery slope from here on inwards. Ask my Bank Manager:wink: :biggrin:

Did anybody go to the dinner at the Waterside Inn the following day (Click here for details

Without blowing my own trumpet did Andre Garret steal my dish?

ANDRE GARRET COURSE

Roast langoustine, cep marmalade, sherry jelly and cep veloute

Matthew Grant course

Code with a Cep sauce, Sherry jelly and Iberico Ham (Here!)

Wonder whether I can get a stint at next years dinner :laugh:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Allan - you're mentioned in the literature as one of the impressive regional finalists. Yet there's a scandalous typographical error where they say you're merely a nipperish 29? C'est ne pas possible, maitre!

I'll be hitting 30 in July, and I'm looking forward to it with about as much relish as would a cat beholding an impending neutering appointment with the vet. Did you think their typographical finger had slipped upwards or downwards? :raz:

offcentre - please let me know how it goes; I'm doing a week's stage in the kitchen there next month!

Allan Brown

• 7 months later...

Im not long back from my stage in France and thought it about time i showed my face around here. Was hoping to have read Andy's take on the finals in April but doesnt seem to be here. I remember very little of the evening following the announcement apart from drinking some very evil drinks and waking the next day to the Caterer calling me for an interview and being barely able to speak! Any info. greatly appeciated

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

Im not long back from my stage in France and thought it about time i showed my face around here. Was hoping to have read Andy's take on the finals in April but doesnt seem to be here. I remember very little of the evening following the announcement apart from drinking some very evil drinks and waking the next day to the Caterer calling me for an interview and being barely able to speak! Any info. greatly appeciated

What, apart from arranging my stage for when your kitchen was all but closed? :biggrin:

Good to see you on here at last, Matt.

Allan Brown