• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat Burger

Coop

I'd like to add that the most unhealthiest part of the meal (in terms of both fat and calories) would be the shake, not the fries, rings, or burger.
my emphasis

So what would be the goodest part of the meal? :raz:

The water. :biggrin:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

"It is a good burger that is brought out to you quickly without the hassle of Vera's or Purple Onion."

canucklehead

As someone with more than a passing interest in vera's and fatburger, what is the hassle you were referring to, we are always looking for ways to improve our business.

Hey Gerald

I only meant to say that Fatburger is much faster at getting out their product. Let's face it though - they are fastfood, your are not. It is a different experience and I will be honest - Vera's burger are clearly better quality. I did not mean to say that a Vera Burger experience is unpleasant - but things are cooked to order - so there is a wait.

The Fat burger price points are right in Vera's range - so it does the beg the question of speed vs. quality. Fat burger looked like they were staffed to the hilt - so it feels like there needs to be a very high sales volume for their model to work. They are built for turnover.

I lived in California for a spell and the Fatburger does have the In'nOut flavor that I crave once in a while. So will I go back to Fatburger? Yes. Will I continue to go to Vera's? Yes - most definitely (if I am still welcome :biggrin:)

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the burger competition - but to be honest - I would favor the local guys. Vancouver is definitely about value for money - and as I said in my original posting, Fatburger prices are quite steep for what you get.

I hope that clarifies my posting. Let me know if can be of further help by - oh say free comparision tastings.... :wink:

Crap.

My list of secret friends on egullet is now one shorter !

Although with the pen name of "gerald", it was going to come out sooner or later.

Does Fatburger have a lamb burger ? I would like to do a comparison of that !

No, well again my reign as " Lord of the Lamb burger" is intact. No need to invade Denman Street.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Crap.

Although with the pen name of "gerald", it was going to come out sooner or later.

No, well again my reign as " Lord of the Lamb burger" is intact. No need to invade Denman Street.

I don't know Neil, Vera's makes a pretty good lamb burger, maybe you do need to stage an invasion :wink:. No yam fries though so you've still got an edge.

Cheers,

Anne

Crap.

I don't know Neil, Vera's makes a pretty good lamb burger, maybe you do need to stage an invasion :wink:. No yam fries though so you've still got an edge.

Perhaps it is time to invade ! I think a weeklong barrage of ketchup and mustard bombings should weaken them and then a land assault, with a flurry of buns to the head should do the trick.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I stopped in for a late lunch this afternoon and ordered the 1/3 lb Fatburger. Remembering Carolyn Tillie's advice from earlier on in the thread I ordered "Fat on the char" to get it grilled and also requested the other option that the onion garnish be grilled.

The burger is very tasty although the patty as mentioned before is kind of skinny and was a bit dry (perhaps from the grilling). The grilled onions definitely made the burger though. The skinny fries were good as well.

All in all it's a great fast food burger served by a good crew. ( I would definitely order the 1/2 lb King Burger next time though.) I can't quite figure out what it is with some orders that has them calling it out to the whole crew who all shout it back. Funny.

Crap.

Perhaps it is time to invade ! I think a weeklong barrage of ketchup and mustard bombings should weaken them and then a land assault, with a flurry of buns to the head should do the trick.

I guess this is how the cold war gets started, should you attack with your barrage of ketchup and mustard (old school weapons) we shall be forced to retaliate with a quick strike offensive of vera's sauce (ample garlic) and blue cheese (oh the horror), heed my warning wyles.

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

"It is a good burger that is brought out to you quickly without the hassle of Vera's or Purple Onion."

canucklehead

As someone with more than a passing interest in vera's and fatburger, what is the hassle you were referring to, we are always looking for ways to improve our business.

Hey Gerald

I only meant to say that Fatburger is much faster at getting out their product. Let's face it though - they are fastfood, your are not. It is a different experience and I will be honest - Vera's burger are clearly better quality. I did not mean to say that a Vera Burger experience is unpleasant - but things are cooked to order - so there is a wait.

The Fat burger price points are right in Vera's range - so it does the beg the question of speed vs. quality. Fat burger looked like they were staffed to the hilt - so it feels like there needs to be a very high sales volume for their model to work. They are built for turnover.

I lived in California for a spell and the Fatburger does have the In'nOut flavor that I crave once in a while. So will I go back to Fatburger? Yes. Will I continue to go to Vera's? Yes - most definitely (if I am still welcome :biggrin:)

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the burger competition - but to be honest - I would favor the local guys. Vancouver is definitely about value for money - and as I said in my original posting, Fatburger prices are quite steep for what you get.

I hope that clarifies my posting. Let me know if can be of further help by - oh say free comparision tastings.... :wink:

thanks for the comments, I can guarantee you are still welcome and for good measure I will even invite some egulleters for the next vera's menu test, prob fall.

FYI we have changed our natural burger, we are now getting our organic beef from blue goos cattle (70 mile house) an exceptional product. If any egulleters get the chance try it, let me know what you think.

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

So is there a secret ordering language for Vera's?  :wink:

Cheers!

I think it goes something like...

I'm an eGulleter. Gimme something free! I know Gerald. Gimme something else free!

JUST KIDDING!!!

Not jokingly, how does someone find out about secret ordering systems anyway? Or how did they prior to eGullet? The staff at Fatburger, In N Out, etc., they are trained specifically on this? "Okay if someone orders it 'Animal Style' you give them this, but don't wink or nod or anything, they're just cool. And fercrissake, don't tell anyone because it's a SECRET!"

For In'nOut - there are websites dedicated to all the differenct ways to order. The menu at In'nOut are very stripped down - so ordering 'secretly' is part of the fun.

The registers at In'nOut are designed for it - for example, when you ask for 'Animal Style' it shows up on the register as such (and on your receipt). It is not so much secret as 'insider-y'.

I actually tried the egullet decoder ring at Vera's and - not suprisingly got the open handed slap to my face again. Hmmm - I am beginning to think I should stop wearing the ring on my middle finger.

The menus at In N Out are totally stripped down. This is probably why I was sitting there with a cheese bunwich in the top of a shoebox thinking, why does everyone think this is so great again?!?

Next time I'm Stateside I'm giving them In N Out another try, armed with this new knowledge...

PS: Canuckle, try putting the ring through your pierced nipple a la Daddy-A and see if you get a better response when flashing it.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

The menus at In N Out are totally stripped down. This is probably why I was sitting there with a cheese bunwich in an open shoebox thinking, why does everyone think this is so great again?!?

Next time I'm Stateside I'm giving them In N Out another try, armed with this new knowledge...

PS: Canuckle, try putting the ring through your pierced nipple a la Daddy-A and see if you get a better response when flashing it.

Here is a website you may want to check out In and Out Secret Menu I am not sure, however, how much it will improve your experience.

BTW - I don't think I ever want to see a sentence containing the words "Daddy-A" and "Pierced" (I can't even bring myself to mention the body part cited) again. Ever.

If there's anything better than a thread about a massive Yank corporation coming into Vancouver, and the thread being co-opted by a local entrepenuer to be used as a customer feedback device, I'd like to know what it is.

You always hear from Polly Positives up with people motivational Tom Peters-esque dorks that as a business person you should embrace new competition, make it work for you. I think Gerald should be cited as a case study ina an MBA text book. Bravo.

Viva the grass roots.

If there's anything better than a thread about a massive Yank corporation coming into Vancouver, and the thread being co-opted by a local entrepenuer to be used as a customer feedback device, I'd like to know what it is. 

You always hear from Polly Positives up with people motivational Tom Peters-esque dorks that as a business person you should embrace new competition, make it work for you. I think Gerald should be cited as a case study ina an MBA text book. Bravo.

Viva the grass roots.

now for the shameless plug

the only thing better than that is our g-money burger

thanks for the comments

gerald

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

• 1 month later...

Fist the Gill article and now this morning - I was flipping through Vancouver Life Magazine (I get it free) and along with an article on HSG featuring the mug of Neil - was a quick blurb on Fatburger. And also a quick mention of Vera's Burgers.

It seems like Vera's has become the gold standard of the local burger in the media. Everytime Fatburger is mentioned - so is Vera's. In fact I have not seen so much mention of Vera's in a long time - good for them. Talk about turning an challenge into a triumph.

What is Vancouver Life Magazine ? And where did they get my picture ? I have never heard of it.

Huh... that would explain the grainy web cam look of the picture and why you are in the shower... I was confused what it had to do with wine - I just thought it was cutting edge..

What is Vancouver Life Magazine ? And where did they get my picture ? I have never heard of it.

Huh... that would explain the grainy web cam look of the picture and why you are in the shower... I was confused what it had to do with wine - I just thought it was cutting edge..

Lee, you owe me for a new keyboard. I just sprayed orange juice over mine, laughing at your reply.....

Seriously, where does one get a copy of Vancouver Life magazine?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

First nipple ring comments and now this!

I....I'VE LOST MY APPETITE!!!!

Edited by Ling (log)

[seriously, where does one get a copy of Vancouver Life magazine?

I got the name wrong - its Vancouver Lifestyles Magazine, and I get for free. Otherwise not sure where you could get it. Its a thick glossy magazine. I got a feeling it is aimed at the BTC (me) - not the young urban sophisticates like yourself.

Did you know that Ling losing her appetite is one of the signs of the Armageddon? I think that Neil must save us all and give as much HSG GBP as she can handle and hopefully set the cosmic forces in balance again. Please do it for us.