• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat Burger

Coop

If you are a newbie to FatBurger, the *trick* is to order "Fat on the char" -- it will then be put over the fire for cooking instead of on the flat (grease-inducing) flat cook area.

Also highly recommend the onions rings.... <grin>

Passed by yesterday and they've got the menu board up above the counter with all of the prices posted already, seating looks almost completely done too. Imagine it shouldn't be too long.

$4.99 for the basic burger by the way. :wink:

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Passed by on Friday and the restaurant was filled with people dining, but the sign posted that it was for training purposes. Must have been a soft-opening. The official opening date is tomorrow (May 9th).

Cheers!

How could I pass by an new burger joint?

Went and had lunch there today. And it was good.

It was kind of crazy packed - being opening day. But there did not seem to be any real hiccups. Except for the yelling teenagers from - I guess - King George Secondary (I thought the school had been shut down). I know that I was not neearly as irritating as today's teens when I was a teenager (and dinosaurs ruled the earth).

The burgers are very much in the same vein as InandOut burgers (but with frankly better fries). The meat was fully cooked - but was juicy. The condiments were very good and you got that nice juxtaposition of hot meat with cool tomatoes and lettuce. For a 1/3 pound - it did not seem like a HUGE burger - but it was very good and satisfying. After you ordered at the counter - the food was brought out to your table.

Got onion rings and they were good also - more breaded than battered - but for me that was a good thing. The star of the meal was the milkshake (in my case vanilla). You could really taste the ice cream in it - thick (but slurpable) and cold. Very nice.

Price wise - it was kind of on the steep side. A normal combo of 1/3 pound burger, fries, and a drink will set you back about $8.50 - so you are getting into that Vera's and Purple Onion price range. I won't metion White Spot - but 'kicked' and 'curb' come to mind.

Do they have a market here? Yeah - definitely I will go back to satisfy my InandOut cravings. I would have liked to have the bun a litte toasted but I suspect that they have a secret ordering systems much like InandOut (I heard what sounded like special oders). It is a good burger that is brought out to you quickly without the hassle of Vera's or Purple Onion.

Even with them slammed today - service was very fast and the counter staff had the fresh scrubbed InandOut young American look to them (not quite as aryan as the US chain). The place is well done, clean, and seemed very organized. There were some people up from the Head Office helping out around the restaraunt - and they were friendly and chatty with the guests.

Worth checking out.

You mean the RED Onion in Kerrisdale, yes? (aside: Is the Purple Onion still in business, and what crowd is it attracting these days?) I used to work at the Red Onion in my teens, and while their burger isn't my favourite in town, the fact that I still eat there regularly - spinach salad, chicken burger with fried onions, milkshake - is a sign of a reasonably fresh and clean kitchen. Or at least it was when I worked there . . . And if you go about 8pm on a weekday night, the service is very prompt.

In-n-Out was the best thing to ever happen to a college student hungry after an afternoon of outlet shopping. But Fat Burger I've never tried. May do so to make the comparison myself.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

I would have liked to have the bun a litte toasted but I suspect that they have a secret ordering systems much like InandOut (I heard what sounded like special orders). 

They definitely do. The only one I remember from Fatburger is:

"Skinny Fats" - those are the burgerless burger. Basically all the toppings but no meat. (Same as In-N-Out's Wish burger)

Can't recall the other equivalents to In-N-Out's Animal style, Flying Dutchman, Protein Style, 2X2 or 2X4, etc. I'm sure others can help out.

Cheers!

Fatburger w/cheese, fries, rings and a shake...

2550 Calories. 1152 of those from Fat.

128 Grams of Fat

265 mg Cholesteral

and 223 Carbs.

sounds like it just might have been worth it!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

2550 Calories.  1152 of those from Fat.

128 Grams of Fat

265 mg Cholesteral

and 223 Carbs.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

128 Grams of Fat

265 mg Cholesteral

and 223 Carbs.

Let me be clear - my meal was shared with my brother. There is no way that I could have had a burger+fries+rings+shake all by myself.

But - you know what - it did'nt seem like THAT much food to be 2550 calories. I shudder to think of the calorie counts when the egullet lunch mafia hit a place.

128 Grams of Fat

265 mg Cholesteral

and 223 Carbs.

Furthermore, I'd like to add that the most unhealthiest part of the meal (in terms of both fat and calories) would be the shake, not the fries, rings, or burger.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

128 Grams of Fat

265 mg Cholesteral

and 223 Carbs.

:blink:

You'd be better off smoking.....

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

"It is a good burger that is brought out to you quickly without the hassle of Vera's or Purple Onion."

canucklehead

As someone with more than a passing interest in vera's and fatburger, what is the hassle you were referring to, we are always looking for ways to improve our business.

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

^ Alrighty then. While, I'm not Lee, I will be the first nosy parker to ask, why might you have "more than a passing interest in vera's and fatburger"???? Inquiring minds want to know. But maybe I'm just being really dense :blink:

Oh and I'm sure Lee (Canucklehead) will get back to you on your own query in due time :biggrin:

I'll be down in the Denman area over the next three days... may have to check things out at Fat Burger myself.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

^ Alrighty then.  While, I'm not Lee, I will be the first nosy parker to ask, why might you have "more than a passing interest in vera's and fatburger"???? Inquiring minds want to know.  But maybe I'm just being really dense  :blink:

Oh and I'm sure Lee (Canucklehead) will get back to you on your own query in due time  :biggrin:

I'll be down in the Denman area over the next three days... may have to check things out at Fat Burger myself.

I own vera's, and as fatburger has opened on my block i want to know what the good word is. any way i can get better i'm going to try. :smile:

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

^ Heh Gerald... thanks for the disclosure. In case you are interested.... (but you might not be of course) you could add a note to that affect in your sig line. :biggrin:

Now, not to be miss sucky-upppy, or anything... I really, really like the veggie burgers at Vera's...... might just have to do a side by side comparison this week with Fat Burger (that is if they have veggie burgers on the menu). Not that I'm opposed to eating beef anymore.... but I've only had the veggie burgers at Vera's so that seems like the only fair comparison.... for me.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Furthermore, I'd like to add that the most unhealthiest part of the meal (in terms of both fat and calories) would be the shake, not the fries, rings, or burger.

Got that right! Shake has 920 calories, 43 grams of fat, 115 carbs. Oddly, the onion rings are carb free, which surprised me because they are breaded.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I'd like to add that the most unhealthiest part of the meal (in terms of both fat and calories) would be the shake, not the fries, rings, or burger.
my emphasis

So what would be the goodest part of the meal? :raz:

A.

ps. Welcome gerald. Thanks for outing yourself. I look forward to your informed burger input. :smile:

I can throw a rock from my house and hit the Dundarave location. I take my family often.

The staff at the Beach House do a "Vera Run" almost every day they're open.

I second Chef Metcalf's suggestion that you don't change a thing.

Nice to see you "out", Gerald.

:wink:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine