• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat Burger

Coop

I walked by last night. It looks as though it will be a while yet. There's a hunk of waferboard over the entrance with a sign saying something like" "Patience, we know you are hungry".

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne

Any news on the opening of Fatburger?

Coop and other burgerphiles,

Here are the guts of their press release. Expectations will no doubt run high as the restaurant will have four more staffmembers than Le Crocodile but with exactly half the number of indoor seats. This might lead to the obvious question: "Would you like béarnaise with that?

"VANCOUVER, B.C., CANADA, March 23, 2005 – Vancouver’s vibrant West End community will soon be home to the very first Fatburger restaurant in Canada, and the first location outside of the United States for the fast-growing hamburger chain founded in Los Angeles, California in 1952.

Plans call for the new Fatburger restaurant to open on April 13 in a 1600-square-foot facility located at 1101 Denman Street, situated conveniently near the beach at popular English Bay and shopping on nearby Robson Street.

The restaurant will feature Fatburger’s signature 1950’s retro-style décor with neon lighting, open kitchen and counter seating. Music and sports memorabilia, including items commemorating British Columbia’s BC Lions of the Canadian Football League, will be on display.

A garage-style door can be opened up to provide diners with a full view of Denman Street and to entice pedestrians into the burger stand. Approximately 35 staffers will be employed at the site, which can conveniently seat up to 48 guests inside."

I'll have the Norm Fieldgate Burger, please. You will note that Vera's, part-owned by ex-Lion Noah Cantor, has resisted the urge to decorate with Lions' memorabilia.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Come for the burgers, stay for the game used sweaty jerseys. I'd think that location would be more ammeanble to old ciopies of Playbill, maybe Wizard of Oz memrobilia, Liza Minelli autographed photos, that sort of thing rather than football... err...CFL stuff. The CFL is to football as McDonalds is to burgers. And having eaten at Fatburger in California, I've gotta say, too bad it's not In'n'Out.

Come for the burgers, stay for the game used sweaty jerseys. I'd think that location would be more ammeanble to old ciopies of Playbill, maybe Wizard of Oz memrobilia, Liza Minelli autographed photos, that sort of thing rather than football... err...CFL stuff. The CFL is to football as McDonalds is to burgers. And having eaten at Fatburger in California, I've gotta say, too bad it's not In'n'Out.

I'll be in L.A. next month, and an In-n-Out is SO on my list (my first!!). I wasn't ALL that impressed with the Santa Monica Fatburger I had last time I was there...I mean it was good, but not quite all that. I'm looking forward to the In-n-Out !

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I've had 2 In N Outs, last one on a road trip to LA about 10 years ago (which was basically during my "prime" fast food burger days), and I've got to say that I did not enjoy either. Tasted kind of like the cardboard tray it came on. However, I've since learned from Canucklehead (IIRC) that there is a code to ordering non-standard burgers. Eg: if you order a 2x4, you get 2 patties and 4 slices of cheese, or possibly the other way around. Help Lee! I will say that In N Out does has the best T-shirts in the biz. :raz:

When I was a kid I my cousins took me to Carls Jr, which I loved. Deborah if you get a chance, can you please sample one of these and let me know how it was? Disclaimer: I was about 10.

Carl's Junior couldn't carry In'n'Out's jock, (to maintain the football theme.) At the branch I most often frequent, there's a Carl's Junior on the other side of the lot. It seems to have as it's business model perveying food to In'n'Out patrons waiting in line. That's how long the lines are, other burger chains doing a good trade feeding people while they wait on line at the competition.

Back on topic.

I think Fatburger is making a mistake gunning for Vera's and Moderne, they should set thier sights a little lower down the burger food chain. The White Spot burger drive throughs sprouting around town (complete with chimney) are more analagous to the market Fat burger is in stateside. Vera's is not their competition.

Fatburger is a kinda semi-handmade sandwich, not at the low end, but certainly not in the full handmade to order burgers at other places around town. White Spot is their competition.

Do you think they're really going for Vera's clientele, or do you think they're trying to appeal to the (numerous) American tourists on Denman Street? The only Fatburger I've been to is in Santa Monica, and it was situated similarly close to the water...

Not that we don't like a good burger! I agree the football theme is a bit...odd. I guess White Spot already took baseball.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Good point. THen again, is that a heavily touristed area? I dunno. Gastown, GI, Robson are, but Davie & Denman? I dunno.

And anyone that finds themself on that corner and decides that Fatburger offers best chance of a meal doesn't deserve to be a tourist in Vancover. They should head to Clevland or Pittsburgh. Where is Sam Salmon and his observations of flat footed overweight behemoths blocking isles when you need him?

Deborah

Check out this link to some of the secret codes for In and Out Burgers ('In and Out' - does'nt this sound like the perfect West End eatery?). Ordering with the secret codes is the key for making the In and Out experience fun. I always had the cheese burger "animal" style with a neopolitan shake. The fries or not so good - don't bother ordering them 'extra crispy'.

www.topsecretrecipes.com/sleuth/sleuth2a.htm (I hope this works)

To keep on topic... if Hooters can find a home in the West End - why not Fatburger?

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I've never eaten at a Hooters in my life, nor do I ever intend to. BUT, were an e-gullet crew to trek in, I'd go. And I get to sit next to Moosh, it'd be awesome. "HEY BITCH - THESE DEEP FRIED CHEESE STICKS ARE COLD!"

Gee, maybe we should go...we could all wear tight, low-cut t-shirts and tell them real women serve good food...

Agenda-free since 1966.

I need to weigh in on both Hooter's and In and Out. First Hooter's. The one on Robson is still operational I took the two Jr Coop's there before the Golf and Travel Show in February. The food is very lame but the service staff is very talented.

In and Out is without equal in the Fast Food Burger world. There is occaisionally some variation from location to location. For me the best is the I 5 location in Stockton. If you don't believe me then ask the defending Master's champion, a man who looks like a burger expert.

Too bad Fatburger may suck.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

[

Approximately 35 staffers will be employed at the site, which can conveniently seat up to 48 guests inside."

Wow, that's an amazing staff to seat ratio. I guess they are planning for a lot of takeout.

Do you think they're really going for Vera's clientele, or do you think they're trying to appeal to the (numerous) American tourists on Denman Street?

I think they are going after both. After all there is Vera's just down the block.

Good point. THen again, is that a heavily touristed area? I dunno. Gastown, GI, Robson are, but Davie & Denman? I dunno.

Yes, as Deborah said, there are hordes of tourists on Denman in the summer. That's why there are at least 4 gelato places on that street. I'm sure a familiar looking American franchise restaurant will be just the ticket.

Cheers,

Anne

I'll be in L.A. next month, and an In-n-Out is SO on my list (my first!!). I wasn't ALL that impressed with the Santa Monica Fatburger I had last time I was there...I mean it was good, but not quite all that. I'm looking forward to the In-n-Out !

Order off the special menu and get a double double, animal style, with a neapolitan shake.

I've never eaten at a Hooters in my life, nor do I ever intend to. BUT, were an e-gullet crew to trek in, I'd go. And I get to sit next to Moosh, it'd be awesome. "HEY BITCH - THESE DEEP FRIED CHEESE STICKS ARE COLD!"

Word, Keith. Don't mess with the estrogen by bringin' me cold deep fried food. Those babies need to be hot. :hmmm:

And I mean the cheese sticks, not the waitresses.

D-cups at twenty paces.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg