• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molto Mario Drinking Game

SiseFromm

I love Mario. Unfortunately, they moved Molto Mario from the Saturday morning slot I always watched, so I don't see it very often. But he is one of the few really good shows left on Food Network.

Re the collective "we" -- I always assumed he meant himself and his cooks.

Tolliver sez: "He means the typical Italian grandmother doesn't put the green onions, for example, directly on the cutting board and slice them using her Global Chef knife using her knife skills. Instead, she'd hold the green onions in her hand and slice them up against her thumb using her paring knife, often right over the bowl, pan or cutting board.

Mario is about authenticity in Italian food, both in ingredients and in the cooking/prepping methods"

LOL, my mother, who is of German and English/Scottish descent, preps/cuts foods like this. This is hardly an "italian" thing. Its more like a "non-chef" thing.

But don't get me wrong, I like Mario, a lot. The Babbo cookbook rocks, and Molto is still my favorite show of his, imo better than the 'eats italy' series.

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

I'd sure rather play this game than the Rachel Ray game.

"Yum-o!"

"I wish you could smell this!"

Arms flaying to express nothing, upper body leaning way back.

Referring to her audience as "you guys"

"E.V.O.O. , extra vigin olive oil"

etc, etc.

This was so funny I shot milk out my nose! All I could picture was the robot from Lost in Space spinning about flailing its arms with Rachel Ray as the voice over.

I think the Rachel Ray game would be an even funnier drinking game.

Just think if they did one of FTV's famous marathons we would all end up in rehab!

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

It's definitely for comedic effect.  It's a poke or a jab to his brethren, for whom he obviously still has deep respect.  I think he's just trying to point out that in the rustic style of Italian cooking, it's not about the perfect dice or chiffonade, it's about the passion and the hand-done nature of everything.  It's all very innocent, but funny as hell.  The other day (while making a roux for a bechamel) he mentioned something about "That F country to the North".

What's with all the Mario bashing?  The last best thing on FoodTV doesn't even pass muster among all us vastly superior egulleters?  So sad.

:laugh: Are you sure he wasn't referring to the other F word? His adversary on ICA...

I heard he's opening a French Bistro with a French Chef partner. Will he stop the jokes then? I know, I know it's all in good fun. I do have a sense of humour.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

"Yum-o!"

etc, etc.

- using "garbage bowl" as a verb

- "I want my pan waiting for me, not the other way around"

- "Right in the regular grocery store"

- "Mom always yells at me for not making more than one trip"

- "I like to use my cooking as a passport..."

- Using absurdly ridiculous scenarios to introduce the show such as "So it's close to dinner time and you find out you have to throw a dinner party for your boss and his 5 children, and it has to be ready in 30 minutes" then proceeding to have every ingredient on hand

- Insisting on washing produce when you get home from your "big shopping day"

- "I live in the mountains"

- "I don't like to bake"

- "Just eyeball it"

there are many more...

Time past and time future

What might have been and what has been

Point to one end, which is always present.

- T.S. Eliot

Still trying to figure out why we're talking Mario and Rachael Ray in the same thread.......

Mario's "in and around" ( insert name of place here).

Gulp

Stop Family Violence

Although his shorts always made me laugh. He doesn't have the legs for them, non?

A true tribute to his Seattle roots.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Although his shorts always made me laugh. He doesn't have the legs for them, non?

Shorts in Seattle? I'd think rubber boots before shorts. :laugh:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Yeah, I can't explain it, but the dudes here will wear shorts (with flannel, fleece, and hiking boots rounding out the ensemble) even when it is snowing. Add it to our list of sartorial sins.

And yes, "it rains here ALL THE TIME" ...except for this marvelously sunny, dry spring we're having. (Ooops, not supposed to tell!)

~A

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Shorts in Seattle? I'd think rubber boots before shorts. :laugh:

I'm here to personally attest to the propensity of a certain segment of the Seattle population for wearing Batali-esque shorts year-round, regardless of what the weather is doing. The year-round Seattle shorts-wearers tend to be male, in the twenty-to-thirty-something age range, and given to a certain post-grunge skateboarder look, which look includes those baggy quasi-knee-length shorts, often paired with interesting footwear (though I'd not seen anyone sporting orange clogs a la Batali--more often it would be interesting technical/hiking shoes, old-school Converse "Chuck Taylor" high-tops, or Tevas with socks). I used to see at least a couple of fellow Microsofties in such shorts all the time when I was taking that interminable bus commute across Lake Washington to deepest darkest Redmond. It really is a Seattle thing, and it makes me smile every time I see Mario rockin' that look.

Edited to add: Simul-posts R Us. :laugh:

Edited by mizducky (log)

"Yum-o!"

etc, etc.

- using "garbage bowl" as a verb

- "I want my pan waiting for me, not the other way around"

- "Right in the regular grocery store"

- "Mom always yells at me for not making more than one trip"

- "I like to use my cooking as a passport..."

- Using absurdly ridiculous scenarios to introduce the show such as "So it's close to dinner time and you find out you have to throw a dinner party for your boss and his 5 children, and it has to be ready in 30 minutes" then proceeding to have every ingredient on hand

- Insisting on washing produce when you get home from your "big shopping day"

- "I live in the mountains"

- "I don't like to bake"

- "Just eyeball it"

there are many more...

Or you can take a shot every time she orgasms over the way the food tastes one millisecond after she puts it in her mouth. My god, that woman squeals.