• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molto Mario Drinking Game

SiseFromm

The drink of choice should be your own, though red wine seems to work just about as good as any and is appropriate to the show. Tell me you don't absolutely love Mario's "Mario-isms"!

You should all add your own rules as we go along, but I would suggest taking a drink every time:

- Mario says something about French chefs (being mostly inferior to Italian cooks)

- The words "In Fact" are uttered

- The words "Cooking in the style of . . . (insert "Bologna", "Parma", "Friuli", etc.) are said.

- He gives the directions to the "Well Method"

- He mentions the geographical difference in reference to cooking with butter as opposed to olive oil.

- He talks about "the rain and the wind near where you grew up"

- He talks about how Italian grandmothers would cut over the board, as opposed to on the board.

- He talks about how pasta should be taken out 30 seconds to one minute prior to being finished so the "marriage of the noodle and the condiment" can happen.

I'm drunk already . . .

I absolutely LOVE Mario. I think Molto Mario is the last best show on the network. Don't you just love all the little quirks about him? Limoncello would be a great alternate for this game.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I'd sure rather play this game than the Rachel Ray game.

"Yum-o!"

"I wish you could smell this!"

Arms flaying to express nothing, upper body leaning way back.

Referring to her audience as "you guys"

"E.V.O.O. , extra vigin olive oil"

etc, etc.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Mario says something about French chefs (being mostly inferior to Italian cooks)

I'm laughing so hard, tears are streaming down face! :laugh: I didn't know Mario was a comedian too. Although his shorts always made me laugh. He doesn't have the legs for them, non?

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Also he always refer to the collective "We" when saying why he did something like fry the fish in olive oil. As in "We like to always fry in olive oil", "...because we love the overcooked texture of these beans", "We never add cheese to this dish",....

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Mario says something about French chefs (being mostly inferior to Italian cooks)

I'm laughing so hard, tears are streaming down face! :laugh: I didn't know Mario was a comedian too. Although his shorts always made me laugh. He doesn't have the legs for them, non?

Oh man, he always takes jabs at French chefs, like how they wear tall hats and how fussy they are. Statements like "Don't worry about cutting your vegetables into equal dice for this braise, this is rustic Italian cooking, we are not cooking fussy French cuisine here" are common and usually delivered with a smirk. That's the best part, he is soooo proud of his Italian heritage. I think he does it mainly for comedic effect on TV though, there is no doubt he prefers Italian cooking to French but he would not seriously dismiss the French heritage like he does on the show :smile:.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

It's definitely for comedic effect. It's a poke or a jab to his brethren, for whom he obviously still has deep respect. I think he's just trying to point out that in the rustic style of Italian cooking, it's not about the perfect dice or chiffonade, it's about the passion and the hand-done nature of everything. It's all very innocent, but funny as hell. The other day (while making a roux for a bechamel) he mentioned something about "That F country to the North".

What's with all the Mario bashing? The last best thing on FoodTV doesn't even pass muster among all us vastly superior egulleters? So sad.

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

How about when he says "a little drizzle of olive oil" and then proceeds to use a half-cup of the stuff?

Ha ha. My boyfriend says that if Mario cut his finger he would bleed olive oil.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

It's definitely for comedic effect.  It's a poke or a jab to his brethren, for whom he obviously still has deep respect.  I think he's just trying to point out that in the rustic style of Italian cooking, it's not about the perfect dice or chiffonade, it's about the passion and the hand-done nature of everything.  It's all very innocent, but funny as hell.  The other day (while making a roux for a bechamel) he mentioned something about "That F country to the North".

What's with all the Mario bashing?  The last best thing on FoodTV doesn't even pass muster among all us vastly superior egulleters?  So sad.

Mario bashing???? What are you talking about?

Molto is one of the most liked chefs on these forums. I can only see one negative commnet on this thread.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Mario bashing???? What are you talking about?

Molto is one of the most liked chefs on these forums. I can only see one negative commnet on this thread.

Elie

I must say that when I first saw Molto, I had a hard time with Mario and his Mario-isms. However, ever since he's been on ICA my respect for him has grown immensely. He consistently outperforms Flay (why is that guy an Iron Chef again?) in both aesthetics and creativity, and he comes across as humble. Now when I watch Molto, the Mario-isms actually cause a chuckle.

exactly how do you cut over the board rather than into the board??

He means the typical Italian grandmother doesn't put the green onions, for example, directly on the cutting board and slice them using her Global Chef knife using her knife skills. Instead, she'd hold the green onions in her hand and slice them up against her thumb using her paring knife, often right over the bowl, pan or cutting board.

Mario is about authenticity in Italian food, both in ingredients and in the cooking/prepping methods (e.g., using the well method to make pasta). On his show, just about everytime he's cutting up veggies using his chefly knife skills, he mentions that it's not really the authentic way of cutting/slicing vegetables in Italy.

Hence, the "not cutting in/on the board" comment.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

"Say, Mario, what kind of oil do you use to deep fry in?"

Keep drinking until he finishes the discourse on cooking and frying in extra virgin olive oil.

Man, I'm going to be seeing pink elephants after that one.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com