• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Paulée de New York

Mark Sommelier

This past weekend, March 12th, was a major wine event in New York City. This was the fourth La Paulée de Meursault that was produced in Manhattan by Drew Nieporent and his accomplices. It took place at the New York W Hotel at 49th and Lexington. I was lucky to be invited to be a guest sommelier. 275 people paid $1275 a ticket for dinner. There were a great many top vignerons there, the mayor of Meursault, and the amazing and wonderful Cadets de Bourgogne, who sang all night. The Cadets sang, not everyone else. This is basically a very posh BYOB event. The bottles that showed up were heart-stopping. A 6 Liter bottle of Romanee Conti 1979 (brought by my new best friend RK) was the wine of the night. There were so many bottles of good vintage DRC wines flying around that it made my head spin. I was able to taste a Richebourg from my birth year (1952) !!

The wines the table I was assigned to were served 2001 Marc Colin Montrachet and 1999 David Duband Echezeaux. These were the "house" wines". Then the BYOB part kicked in. Magnums and Jeroboams of Le Montrachet, Jeroboams of La Tache, Richebourg, Echezeaux flying around. Burgundy vintages back into the 20's were brought. Daniel Johnnes (from Montrachet) arranged the whole thing. He did a fine job. I had an amazing time.

Anyone else go?

Mark

I was at the afternoon tasting event, Mark.

It was a pleasure to put a face to your avatar.

We had a fine lunch at PerSe on Sunday and drank a 95 Ramonet Chassange and a 91 E. Rouget Echezeaux -that was brilliant.