• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGulleters' Plated Desserts

chiantiglace

Thank you pennylane!

"Temptation Tower" (also in the Daily Sweets thread)

gallery_53129_4592_31981.jpg

Orange-Honey Spice Cake with streusel, sauteed apples, yogurt cream, and apple chip. I'm not the most imaginative kid on the block I know, but I just loved how it looked. I hope you guys like it :)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

That's cool Mark! Orange-honey spice cake sounds really good. I'd say your imagination does just fine, your stuff always looks great.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks T2C! I can't wait to see your next plated dessert!

Tropical Bombe:

gallery_53129_4592_17883.jpg

This is based on Michel Willaume's Delice de Sauveurs Exotique Glacé. It's mango sherbet, with a coconut parfait center and pineapple-coconut joconde base, served with a mango tuile and kalamansi (Philippine lemon) cream.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

Awesome as always Mark. Some nice flavors going on there and it looks great.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tropical Bombe:

gallery_53129_4592_17883.jpg

That looks delicious. Although to me it almost looks more like a sunset on the ocean, what with the rays of the sun and the waves highlighted by the waning light...

Heh, right. I think I have been watching too many bad romance movies.

• 6 months later...

Apple Trifle with Apple Doughnuts:

gallery_53129_4592_30225.jpg

Not my original dessert-- it's a recipe from Jason Atherton's London restaurant, Maze. The trifle is apple jelly, caramel custard (my first time to use a vanilla bean! I love the specks!), and Calvados cream. It's supposed to be topped with a cider granita but I skipped that. The thingies on the side are apple-filled doughnuts coated in cinnamon sugar. The sugar didn't quite take to the doughnuts-- I really need caster sugar lying around :)

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark