• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGulleters' Plated Desserts

chiantiglace

I haven't had much time to bake over the last few days, but I did put together a plated dessert over the weekend. I made the components and assembled them, but the recipe ("Chocolate Temptation") is from Greenspan's Desserts by Pierre Herme. The sauce is banana/citrus/avacado, and I added about 1T of sugar. There is about 1/3C on the plate. The Manjari chocolate cake is flourless and somewhat molten (out of the oven). The recipe called for infusing the butter with a sliver of habanero, but I didn't do that. The cake is garnished with an orange tuile, and the plate with a few caramelized banana slices.

The pictures below show 2-3 different platings, taken under different lighting conditions. In the first picture, you see a picture of a warm cake taken under harsh daylight. Note the prominent shadows:

gallery_23736_355_10001.jpg

The next picture was taken under soft, natural light. The cake in this plating is chilled.

gallery_23736_355_21537.jpg

The third picture was taken at night in my kitchen using a single studio strobe.

gallery_23736_355_2645.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I haven't had much time to bake over the last few days, but I did put together a plated dessert over the weekend. I made the components and assembled them, but the recipe ("Chocolate Temptation") is from Greenspan's Desserts by Pierre Herme. The sauce is banana/citrus/avacado, and I added about 1T of sugar. There is about 1/3C on the plate. The Manjari chocolate cake is flourless and somewhat molten (out of the oven). The recipe called for infusing the butter with a sliver of habanero, but I didn't do that. The cake is garnished with an orange tuile, and the plate with a few caramelized banana slices.

Wow, Patrick -- that's a work of art. Bravo! (When are you serving? I'll be there.......)

I'm currently working on 3 desserts for a tasting tomorrow. I'll post some pics later on as I would love some feedback on them.

here's what I'm doing:

fresh raspberry & fig jam crostata w/ chestnut honey ice cream

chocolate malt cake with banana ice cream,choc-peanut butter sauce & peanut brittle

Apple upside down cake with caramel mascarpone & riesling sabayon

possibly a basque cake with some almond cream sauce as a back up.

I'm currently working on 3 desserts for a tasting tomorrow. I'll post some pics later on as I would love some feedback on them.

here's what I'm doing:

fresh raspberry & fig jam crostata w/ chestnut honey ice cream

chocolate malt cake with banana ice cream,choc-peanut butter sauce & peanut brittle

Apple upside down cake with caramel mascarpone & riesling sabayon

possibly a basque cake with some almond cream sauce as a back up.

Fedex all of them to me and I will be happy to give you feedback. :wub: They all sound wonderful. Especially the first and the last.

This thread is simply great!

Here's my shy contribute - it's a strawberry mousse truffled cake I did last Christmas

gallery_40488_2237_2444.jpg

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

I'm just going to take pics at the tasting. I was up late last night & was just too tired. I'm kinda iffy about my malt cake. It tastes good but it's just different. It's ricotta based..made like a souffle. It's very spongy & it kind of melts in your mouth. An acquired taste I guess..we'll see how they like it.

• 1 month later...

These are the desserts I served at the restaurant last night:

gallery_15649_128_15494.jpg

Cinnamon Chocolate Cake

Melt-in-the-mouth chocolate cake flavoured with cinnamon, served with cinnamon crème anglaise foam and chocolate spiced streusel

The streusel contains a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, and black pepper.

gallery_15649_128_39602.jpg

Crème Fraiche Panna Cotta

Crème fraiche panna cotta with a subtle hint of Grand Marnier & orange flower, served with candied kumquats, candied pecans, pecan shortbread, and caramelized mini banana

I'm very happy with both of these desserts and consider them some of my best so far. You can find more of my notes on how I came up with both desserts here.

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

The colors and shapes on the panna cotta plate are very nice.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

• 1 month later...

Its a fondant of sorts, baked in titanium dome molds. The "yolk" is curry ganache. I wish I had a pic before the yolk was broken, they looked just like little chocolate poached eggs.

The ice cream was pilsner, it was a curry and beer thing.

Anyways I would never put that on the menu again unless I designed my own dome molds with handles. We had to unmold them by holding the molds with pliers, and the round shape made the fondants really suceptable to fliping over as you turned to unmold so on top of that you had to have a wide offset in your left hand to brace it. I guess thats why you don't see alot of round fondants!

I had a couple weeks "between jobs" and thought I would play around with some ideas. Here's what I came up with:

gallery_5180_85_15045.jpg

- "blueberry cheesecake": blueberry compote, almond streusel, cream cheese mousse, fresh blueberries

- blueberry financiers

- wild blueberry popsicle

- blueberry pate de fruit

gallery_5180_85_44831.jpg

- chocolate donuts with coffee cremeux filling

- oatmeal stout float with milk chocolate ice cream (the donuts also have stout in them, plus some rum)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I've already posted this in the Daily Sweets thread, but I hope this applies here as well (for completeness' sake):

gallery_53129_4592_11087.jpg

Maya Gold- orange creme brulee, dark chocolate orange mousse, and fudge brownie enrobed in mirroire glaze and topped with candied orange peel and caramel "jewels."

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Nightscotsman & Jumanggy wow thanks.

fellas I've got Savarin (for the donuts, did you fry or bake?) & pyramid moulds and so need to know is this great work your own recipe or did you cull it from somewhere?

Can I have directions regardless?

Awesome jumanggy!

I forgot about this thread, I think I'll add my latest plated dessert here as well. It's not as pretty as yours but it's plated.

gallery_53467_5170_21593.jpg

I call it Olive Me (the band NoFX did a rocked up version of the song "All of Me" and called it Olive Me, I always thought it was pretty cool).

Lemon-Olive Oil Cake with Candied Olives

Olive Oil Ice Cream

Candied Olive Nibs

Chocolate-Olive Oil Mousse

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yeah, adey, it's on my blog (link in my signature below). As are most things from non-pros like me, its components are pieced together from various sources, adding my own little twist to each. Thank you so much!

I was impatient and used a 100C oven for the creme brulees though. D'oh! Should've just stuck to the water bath. Took forEVer to set!

EDIT: Haha, OLIVE Me! I am dumb. I didn't get that till you explained it. I hope to see much more of your work Tri2cook! You always have such fun and unique inspirations.

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.