• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Fondant

Lowblow

No, many of us make fondant. Out of curiosity, what is the process for the first recipe you posted? I dont think its safe to say that if we could help we would know the process, because theres a few ingredients that seem sort extra. I've never made fondant with gelatine, so I am sort of suspect of the recipe. Do you have to agitate it? Knowing the process is helpful.

Also, from your own comments, I would personally forget the first recipe if it doesnt produce anything worth keeping. Stick on tweaking the second one that had less cracking (can we see that recipe?) Do you have any pictures we could take a look at? How is it cracking? Are you depositing it in starch/silicone molds?

Its unfortunate, but you'd be surprised at how many flawed recipes are printed in reputable books.

Thanks. I am making cake fondant. It goes like

bloom the gelatin in water, then heat to dissolve, then add glycerine, shortening, corn syrup, vanilla. Pour the mixture into sifted powdered sugar/cocoa and knead until elastic. Let it rest o/n.

Most fondant recipes I have seen for cake have the gelatin. Most main ingredients are the same. I think it might be the ratio....

"Mom, why can't you cook like the iron chef?"

I've not tried Rose's. I have used Toba Garret's fondant, with adding 2-5TB cocoa to 8oz fondant. Her recipe also recommends adding shortening, after adding the cocoa, to smooth it out. Was it still crumbly the day after? It might help to try kneading in a little water and letting it sit a bit, too. I think Toba's recipe is helpful in that it's a guide for how much cocoa to add, kind of like with the powdered sugar, add as much as needed.

The chocolate fondant recipe I've used most is from Michelle Foster on cake central. And I've mostly used white chocolate (actual white chocolate, not choc chips or baking chips).

1/2 cup cream

3 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin

1 cup corn syrup

3 Tbsp. butter

3 Tbsp. glycerin

2 tsp. clear vanilla

dash salt

Approximately 3 1/2 lbs. powdered sugar

6 oz chocolate

My copy of RLB's Chocolate Fondant [RLB]

1 tb gelatine

½ c water

⅔ c corn syrup

1 tb glycerine

¼ c shortening

1 ts vanilla

6 ¼ c icing sugar

2 c cocoa.

Sponge gelatine over water. Stir until disolved. Blend in syrup and glycerine. Add shortening to melt. Remove and add vanilla. Mix sugar & cocoa. Add gelatine mixture. Knead to a ball. Turn onto lightly oiled top and knead until smooth. Wrap and leave overnight

Notes: Chocolate Rolled Fondant is easier to work withwhen made one day ahead

• 9 months later...

Personally I'll vouch for Michelle Foster's recipe. I've also battled making my own rolled fondant for quite some time, and until I made hers (yesterday!) I was always dissatisfied. The taste is lovely as well, and of course the price doesn't even compare to what I'd have to pay to purchase ready-made.

And by the way, I'm pleased to hear that you've found RLB's recipes a bit unreliable as I have too. I commented on this on Amazon, however, and I was almost beaten to a pulp by all her groupies!

the amount of water will make a difference; in RLB's baking blog, she notes that the fondant seemed dry and kneading in small amounts of water helped return it to a workable state. So maybe that scant ounce of water will make a difference (between the 1/3 cup your recipe listed and the 1/2 cup the recipe called for). I can say I've made it and not had trouble, but it was so long ago that I cannot give you any pointers. We buy Bakel's Pettinice chocolate fondant at work, we can't keep up with the amounts we need making it by hand :(