• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Fondant

Lowblow

Very Sorry, just realised this should be in the Pastry section, please forgive me

I was looking through all my recipe card's and disks yesterday and I have lost my Chocolat Fondant recipe. If any of you have a good recipe for these could you let me have it please. I would also love to hear anybodys thoughts or ideas on these sexy little things oooohhh I like them sooooo very much.

PS Im on about the things that look like little chocolate sponge cakes that have a soft saucy centre hmmm yum.

Yours Lowblow

Edited by Lowblow (log)

• 3 weeks later...

If you like, I can give you the recipe for the fondants I make in the pastry kitchen at work; it's a pretty foolproof recipe, and gives excellent results.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

How do you make these for service if you don't have the time to bake them to order?

You can't really! Should be able to bake them to order make them small and they only take about 10 mins. Make sure you butter and flour the moulds well though or use non-stick.

I use Heston Blumenthal's recipe: http://www.ukgourmet.com/chocfondant.html

It differs form the normal by using only egg white, not yolk, which gives a cleaner, deeper flavour.

Very versatile; can double for molten chocolate cake, and if you whip the white can also be used mousse, flourless sponge, roulade etc.

I checked out the Heston Blumenthal's fondant recipe, which is part of a larger dessert.

What on earth is sweetcorn powder, any easy-to-find substitutes one can use instead?

For what it's worth...

520g couverture

520g butter

12 eggs

4 yolks

360g sugar

15g baking powder

320g soft flour

Butter some 200ml foil pudding moulds and dust with cocoa.

Melt butter with chocolate over a bain-marie.

Whisk eggs with sugar to ribbon stage.

Sift baking powder and flour together.

Combine egg mix and chocolate mix, fold flour/bp through.

Pipe into moulds - three-quaters filling them - and refrigerate.

180C oven, 9 minutes, rest for 2 minutes in moulds and turn out.

Makes around 18.

Edited by culinary bear (log)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

I use Heston Blumenthal's recipe: http://www.ukgourmet.com/chocfondant.html

It differs form the normal by using only egg white, not yolk, which gives a cleaner, deeper flavour.

Very versatile; can double for molten chocolate cake, and if you whip the white can also be used mousse, flourless sponge, roulade etc.

How long do you whip everything for, the recipe just says 'thoroughly'?

How long can you store them in the fridge before baking?

Thanks

For what it's worth...

520g couverture

520g butter

12 eggs

4 yolks

360g sugar

15g baking powder

320g soft flour

Butter some 200ml ...

Makes around 18.

Thank you for posting this, culinary bear.

I have been making moelleux for years, but I have had trouble finding a recipe that serves more than 8 - and it doesn't double or triple well. I am going to use these measurements for an upcoming dinner party - would the 18 servings be of 200ml each?

If that is the case then I could perhaps stretch the recipe to serve my 26 dinner guests, as I plan to add strawberry sorbet on the side (in this hot country it will become a coulis in the bat of an eye!) , and anise tuiles.

approximately, yes... and as they're so rich, you could probably underfill by quite a bit and still have a satisfying portion...

Allan Brown

• 2 years later...

How on earth do yo make this stuff workable???

I need to make drapes with it and I have no idea how to get it from totally disagreeable to workable.

Any hints tips suggestions really truely hugely appreciated !!!!!!!!!

THANKS!!!!

Oh ya I used the Cake Bible recipe...........hmmmmmmmmmmm

Edited by TraciiTVCL (log)

Well didja zap it at all???

Shortening might make it too soft.

The microzapping is nice because it gives you momentary pliability. Then when it goes back to room temp it gets firmer.

Drapes are easier to do out of a combination of gum paste plus fondant. Umm, if it was moi, I add cornstarch to fondant to get dress bows.

Hope all goes well, Cake-buddy!

I am going to zap and work small pieces at a time. Afraid of the big stuff, LOL.

And did I mantion the cake is just buttercream.........HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I'm just going to add a small amount of gumtrag to what I will be making into the bows.

i use the chocolate fondant from the Cake Bible as well and i've never had issues with it. did you let it rest overnight to allow the moisture to distribute?

i usually zap the whole thing in the microwave, as K8 mentioned above, then plop it in a shortening-greased bowl and knead until smooth. if it's sticky, i just add a touch more shortening. makes it very pliable and easy to work with.

• 5 years later...

I had never made fondant. Then I made 2 batches....

They both tasted great, but the cracking, man.

I have looked thru internet over and over. I own the Rose Cake Bible and the second one is from her recipe. I will list the ingredients below

1 T gelatin

1/3 c water

2/3 c corn syrup

1 T glycerine

1/4 c shortening

1 t vanilla

1 lb 9 oz powdered sugar

7 oz cocoa

I will not list the method since if you are helping me you would know...I think the problem with this recipe is too much cocoa. 7 oz was an enormous amount (more than 2 cups). So the fondant would try to crack no matter how much I kneaded and tried to rub in extra shortening/glycerine.

The first recipe I made was a simple white fondant with 2 oz melted chocolate mixed in. Even this did not crack as badly as Rose's recipe. Everyone sings praise of her recipe but I have found many recipes in her book to have a problem.

Can anyone help?

"Mom, why can't you cook like the iron chef?"